LMscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
siepvdb

LMscope

#1 Post by siepvdb » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 pm

Hi all

I have a Euromex microscope (non-infinity) and would like to delve into microphotography a bit. After looking around, I stumbled upon www.lmscope.com which offered a great modular adapter for connecting my camera on to the photo tube of my scope (rather expensive, but I don't mind paying that much if the quality is good). Does anyone have any experience with this specific (universal) adapter? I'm also worried about the legitimacy of the site, it looks quite odd and the purchase form does not look professional either. Is this site safe?

Thanks in advance!

Siebe

Scarodactyl

Re: LMscope

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:44 pm

LMscope is a legitimate company operating in a small niche. I think their prices are aimed at institutions looking for a plug'n'play solution, and there are more economical ways for a hobbyist to get the same or better results.
A few more details about your scope and how it's set up (trinocular head? Eyepiece diameter?) would help in giving advice too.

siepvdb

#3 Post by siepvdb » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:01 pm

Thanks for the reply

I own a Euromex trinocular (non-infinity) iScope holding a photo tube with an internal diameter of 23.2 mm and an eyepiece diameter of 23.2 mm. The plug'n'play aspect of the adapter is what makes it attractive for me, I'm not really a handy man myself.

FungusMan

#4 Post by FungusMan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:24 pm

Did you buy the LMscope which is more expensive than diamonds? Is it worth the money ?

microcosmos

#5 Post by microcosmos » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:29 am

I actually bought one of those LMScope adapters for my DSLR about 20 years ago because of its plug-and-play design that allowed me to quickly get my photomicrography going. Back then I did not have the time or motivation to do too much engineering on my own as well.

They say it's highly aberration-corrected but that just means it won't generate aberrations on its own. Of course, it didn't fix/compensate the aberrations coming from the achromatic objectives on the Olympus CX microscope I was using at work at the time, so the photomicrographs were full of aberrations still. To the extent that I had to convert the image to monochrome in post-processing so it didn't look so ugly with the green and purple fringing.

If the objectives are already fully corrected plan apos for example, I suspect the image quality would be better.

As others mentioned above, I also think it's expensive and there are cheaper (and perhaps more fun) ways to get the same or better results. But of course it's really up to the individual's budget and priorities.