Seeking advice on my first microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
CosmicMote

Seeking advice on my first microscope

#1 Post by CosmicMote » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:25 am

Greetings!

I'm looking to buy my first microscope, which I intend to use as a hobby looking at things I can find in my immediate environment, such as pond water, blood, etc. I'm primarily interested in biological specimens. After reading some of the guides on this site I think what I want is a binocular compound scope (or possibly trinocular for taking pics but that isn't critical). My budget is $300 US. Can you give me some advice on which scope to buy? Here are some on Amazon I thought were promising (Omax and Amscope brands):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009VUPIKM/ref ... C7UYLW7I2K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094JTZOU/ref ... PE5L3N857W
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SGCDYYI/ref ... DFQS4XMMD7
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UMDLAA/ref ... XEFLUTA22C
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MX03Q0/ref ... M7MVF7ISJX
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JROROU/ref ... KF32FLH9VO

Let me know what you think. Keep in mind that I'm a beginner, with little microscope experience save the kid's microscope I had when I was about 10 years old. I also have little training in biology (a couple of high school courses and that's about it), but I'm patient and willing to read and learn.

Thanks in advance.

Oliver

Re: Seeking advice on my first microscope

#2 Post by Oliver » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:41 am

Hello,

not the AmScope B100B-MS, as it does not seem to have a light intensity control. The other Amscope ones are fine in this respect. The knobs for the mechanical stage are also horizontal, which is inconvenient. If you look at the objectives, you will see that some of them use the same, so there will not be much of an optical difference. Due to the small size of this microscope, the light intensity can be expected to be low. The list prizes of some Omax scopes seem to be way too high (over $1200), I wonder why this is the case. If you can not decide, then go for the one which has a better customer support and more exchangeable parts. I would not buy the 100x oil immersion objective, and rather invest this money into a trinocular tube or a 63x dry objective. Trinocular heads allow for the mounting of larger SLR cameras, which are provide better image quality and also video. The USB connection of microscope cameras is too slow to allow for recording of HD quality video.

But the additional costs of a trinocular tube can be quite high. Contact the vendor directly and they will put together a microscope based on your needs (objective combinations). Go for the microscopes which are larger and heavier. You need the stability. Whether they come with a camera supplied or not, is not a criterion, as these can always be bought later as well. Do not buy microscopes with a built-in camera -they should always be extra.

Oliver.
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:59 pm

CosmicMote, first off welcome. This is a great site to rear and learn from. Be sure to check out all the articles and Emags in the home page.

As to what microscope here is a pretty good site comparing an Amscope Vs. Omax model. Some good advice to consider. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions :)

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:52 pm

CosmicMote, welcome!

JimT

#5 Post by JimT » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:29 am

Oops, I seem to have forgotten to attach the site :oops: Here it is:

http://microscopegenius.com/battle-of-t ... -cs-m82es/

Again, welcome and best of luck.

JimT

BingoRingo

#6 Post by BingoRingo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:51 pm

I purchased an OMAX M827 binocular scope and it came with a USB camera; it's perfectly fine for my use, as you see the same image in both eyepieces, replacing one with a camera isn't an issue at all. I would not invest in a trinocular for the type of use I make out of it (similar to what you intend to do).

As for the oil objective (100x) I really like it, as the image remains sharp and clear at a higher magnification. My microscope came with 4 objectives including the oil immersion one, definitely worth the price I paid.

Keep in mind I paid approximately CAD$300 for the microscope (back when the Canadian dollar was still worth something...), so it was nothing particularly expensive.

The QCC

#7 Post by The QCC » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:42 pm

The differences between OMAX and Amscope are academic. They are essentially one and the same.
Microscopenet.com sells OMAX and Amscope on the same page. The parent come is the same.

JimT

#8 Post by JimT » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:07 pm

QCC is right. Same microscope just different name and some different features. On Amazon the Amscope version is less expensive FWIW.

Dennis

#9 Post by Dennis » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:40 pm

I would go on Ebay and buy a used one. I saw American Opticals go for like 25 bucks with 20 shipping.

I only need binocular cause can stick a USB camera down one tube and look in the other.

I wouldn't want to get one without a mechanical stage. It takes a lot of leg work out of moving the slide around to find the critters.

I am really biased in favor of the old used scopes for quality and versatility issues.

I never have needed to use an objective lens over 40X, but that is me.

10X is like the mid range objective for my use. If you buy used I would say, again this is me, go 1970s or later as early scopes they didn't coat the lens and might not give as clear a view, but I have seen people on Youtube basically using some real old scopes and cheap cameras and getting great results.

I would try to look on Ebay with about a 125 to 150 (TOPS) buck or so budget in mind and I bet you could find a really nice scope.

Again that is all my advise.

Enjoy the forums!

-Dennis

charlie g

#10 Post by charlie g » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:44 pm

Welcome, Cosmic-mote. Like Dennis...I have found study biological microscopes on eBay,,,very low cost...in fact I have too many of them! charlie guevara

charlie g

#11 Post by charlie g » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:45 pm

ooops! I meant sturdy biological microscopes.

billbillt

#12 Post by billbillt » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:23 pm

I just did an Ebay search for 'AO Microscope"... Ebay returned sparse results, and what was returned was high priced for the quality microscopes(i.e. complete and in fine condition)...
BillT

Dennis

#13 Post by Dennis » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:54 pm

BillBilt-

A bunch of AO scopes monocular- Here is one-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-America ... 43df8ff0b4

Shoot for a first microscope I would just reckon this or similar and a USB camera in my opinion beats an AmScope for much more $.

I search under "Vintage microscope" but I have to keep off ebay- I have ENOUGH microscopes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (like 4)

-Dennis

The QCC

#14 Post by The QCC » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:19 pm

The AO Sixty is a pretty basic microscope, even for a first time buyer.

With only two objectives, a fixed disk size aperture and no condenser, I know I would become flustered while trying to duplicate many of the posts on this forum.

For less than $260.00 CDN you can buy a new binocular microscope with three obj., mechanical stage, condenser and diaphragm.

zzffnn

#15 Post by zzffnn » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:52 pm

I have had two AO Sixty microscopes and modified them.

Those are infinity tube length microscopes and compatibility with parts / optics from other brands is nonexistentent.

But they are very sturdy and almost indestructible (as they were designed for students). The stage does not move to focus (nosepiece does).

Some AO Sixty scopes have 4 objective slots and a real NA 1.25 condenser with diaphragm. The Sixty can also take binocular head and mechanical XY stage from the Fifty model. I have modified my 4-objective Sixty that way.

All in all, I do not recommend AO Sixty as your first scope, due to low upgradability. Many AO scopes, such as AO 10 and 20 models, are also infinity scopes and cannot use optics from other brands.

If you are buying any AO Spencer microscope, do spend lots of time reading manuals on this web site:
http://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Pers ... oscope.htm

I do recommend considering AO series 2 or 4. They are 160 mm finite scopes with 34 mm parfocal distance and can use LOMO's objectives (such as water immersion objectives) directly. A complete / fully functional one can be bought from eBay for less than your budget. Mine came to for less than $70 shipped only missing light source and one objective. If you can DIY and don't mind some research, this may work very well.

Most new AmScopes and Omax are DIN 45 mm parfocal finite (160 mm) scopes. They can accept objectives of other brands, as long as those are DIN objectives. So compatibility and upgradability is good, if you know what to look for. Some new AmScope/Omax parts can be expensive though, compared to used AO parts. Sometimes used parts are of better quality.

Mechanical XY stage and NA 1.25 condenser are must-have for 400x and above.

A modular condenser will allow you to insert DIY filters for different light effects, which can be very appealing.

Dennis

#16 Post by Dennis » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:56 pm

yea I just did a five minute ebay search and found those. Looks like not a good choice only 2 objectives.

-Dennis

Charles

#17 Post by Charles » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:26 am

The AO 60/160s and 50/150s were primarily for school use and very little could be upgraded on them. For upgradeability in the AO line, go for the 10/20 models as well as the 110/120 models. They can be upgraded to DF, Phase, Pol, Fluoro and DIC and parts/accessories are available and they can be very inexpensive. Other good options, which are upgradeable are B&L, Nikon, Olympus, Zeiss and Leitz. The down side of buying used is, you don't know if there are problems with a particular scope unless you know what to look for and ask before purchasing one. You need to make sure the focus works, fine and coarse. You need to make sure the condenser works including movement, iris and optics. You need to make sure the mechanical stage works in both the x and y axis. You need to make sure the lighting works as well as the field iris. You need to ensure the optics are good...objectives, eyepieces and condenser. So many things to check for.

But if you want something new, shiny and working right out of the box and inexpensive, the Amscope/Omax is a nice option. That being said, I have a few hundred microscopes of various brands but have never bought an Amscope, Omax or any other Chinese/Indian scopes, so I don't know how these scopes perform except from what others who have bought them, say. Again, if you want brand new, right out of the box, with clean optics, good mechanical working order, then these could be what you want.

JimT

#18 Post by JimT » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:36 pm

Almost a month since your initial post and still no scope?

I still recommend the Amscope brand with some upgrades (Plan objectives, a 20x and 60x obj.). You can also make some filters for the scope that will greatly enhance what you can see in just bright light.

It and the Omax are pretty much the same scope but the Amscope gets a better rating and is a bit less expensive. I have had mine for almost a year and am quite pleased with it. Better than buying something on E-Bay with major problems.

Maybe if I looked into a pristine "Big Three" I might want more but mostly I have learned it's what you do with what you got that counts. Finally, after you have had your first scope for a bit you can always upgrade. My first telescope was not my last.

JimT

Dale

#19 Post by Dale » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:43 am

It is terribly risky for a novice to buy something like an old microscope on ebay. How bout posting a wanted in the buy and sell. It seems like
the good AO10's and similar are getting rarer, but there are people around who know how to get them, and they are worth every cent, so old
but so much better.
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.