my lens cleaner is leaving streaks

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
LeonhardEuler

my lens cleaner is leaving streaks

#1 Post by LeonhardEuler » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:08 pm

I got this crap called Sparkle that claims to “leave no streaks” and was advertized for Opticals, Objectives, and other glass surfaces

Well low and behold it leaves streaks. I dont know why it makes me so angry but it does.

Anyway what is the correct cleaner I should be using on my T490A eyepieces.

Whatever you suggest will it also be good for my stereo microscope eye pieces?

And what about for my objectives? I just want something that actually works

dtsh

Re: my lens cleaner is leaving streaks

#2 Post by dtsh » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:33 pm

I'm no pro, but I use distilled water and isopropyl (isopropanol) and I use cotton swabs.
Sometimes I'll get something in that's just caked with many year's worth of crud and it'll need to soak or more usually just needs to be cleaned in several passes.

For really stubborn stuff I will sometimes reach for the acetone, xylene, or other strong solvent, but never on lenses unless I'm just trying to save something that's otherwise garbage.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:46 pm

If there's oil on a lens, then merely wetting and wiping is likely to remove a bit - and smear the rest around. It often takes several applications of a moistened lens tissue to remove it all. I just cleaned a microscope head that had been used in an industrial setting and was left with a pile of once used foam swabs and lens tissue.

"Leaves no residue" can only mean that the cleaner itself, once evaporated, doesn't leave anything behind. And even that is a dubious claim at a microscopic level.

Anyhow, read up on cleaning technique. FWIW, I like the "ROR" (Residual Oil Remover).

Greg Howald

#4 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:08 am

Some one posted the use of Windex on the same subject. Windex comes in two colors. Blue and green. One works well. The other does not. Check other similar posts on the forum. The answer is there. I hope you are happy with your 490. It is a very good scope.

BramHuntingNematodes

#5 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:30 am

Triple team with water rubbing alcohol and dish soap
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Greg Howald

#6 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:10 am

Your cripple team should work well. Alcohol to break the surface tension of the water and soap to counter any bad effects of alcohol. Good choice.
Greg