A trinocular phase contrast Zeiss standard on eBay

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Hobbyst46

A trinocular phase contrast Zeiss standard on eBay

#1 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Appears interesting for folks in North America
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-mic ... SwkiZgRpXg

ImperatorRex

Re: A trinocular phase contrast Zeiss standard on eBay

#2 Post by ImperatorRex » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:09 pm

Hi Hobbyst46.
Yes looks interesting.
One thing that I have spotted is a bit of corrosion on some of the screws. It may be just cosmetics, but it could also be an indicator of some poor or inproper storage. Finally it is difficult to conclude just by the fotos.

Generally I think that a hint to an ebay auction has two sides:
- Good for those that may have missed the auction.
- For those who already trace the auction it may not be nice, because this additional "advertising" may cause more bits and a higher, final selling price.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:54 pm

ImperatorRex wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:09 pm
Hi Hobbyst46.
Yes looks interesting.
One thing that I have spotted is a bit of corrosion on some of the screws. It may be just cosmetics, but it could also be an indicator of some poor or inproper storage. Finally it is difficult to conclude just by the fotos.

Generally I think that a hint to an ebay auction has two sides:
- Good for those that may have missed the auction.
- For those who already trace the auction it may not be nice, because this additional "advertising" may cause more bits and a higher, final selling price.
Agreed.
I have no relation whatsoever to that listed item or the seller. Were I a potential buyer, I would have tried to achieve a bargain.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:24 pm

In my limited Zeiss experience (two of their phase scopes), their phase contrast is excellent. Especially with the Plan Neofluar phase objectives. The caution, is that some of these will have delamination - worth checking either ahead of time or immediately upon receipt.

Personally, I'd prefer a good $500 Zeiss trinocular phase contrast scope to a near $1000 new import - especially if the Zeiss were to be given a somewhat brighter LED retrofit. I'd guess Hobbyist and Imperator Rex would as well?

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:15 pm

PeteM wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:24 pm
In my limited Zeiss experience (two of their phase scopes), their phase contrast is excellent. Especially with the Plan Neofluar phase objectives. The caution, is that some of these will have delamination - worth checking either ahead of time or immediately upon receipt.

Personally, I'd prefer a good $500 Zeiss trinocular phase contrast scope to a near $1000 new import - especially if the Zeiss were to be given a somewhat brighter LED retrofit. I'd guess Hobbyist and Imperator Rex would as well?
For me, yes, PeteM, and the retrofit as well, it is essential for phase and darkfield.

Wes

#6 Post by Wes » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:31 pm

ImperatorRex wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:09 pm
One thing that I have spotted is a bit of corrosion on some of the screws.
The objectives are crusty as well. As things on ebay tend to go bad rather than good and given the shabby appearance of the scope I'd make a guess and say it doesn't look like a particularly good deal

Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I'm willing to pay extra for nicely preserved scopes and accessories as opposed to go for a 'bargain' suffering various age and abuse related issues.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

Charles

#7 Post by Charles » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:49 pm

It does look 'crusty' but, you are getting a Standard 18 with 5 objective turret, a trinocular head, phase condenser and lighting with power source. Something a person could work with.

ImperatorRex

#8 Post by ImperatorRex » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:09 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:54 pm
I have no relation whatsoever to that listed item or the seller. Were I a potential buyer, I would have tried to achieve a bargain.
Hi Hobbyst46,
no doubt that you do not have a benefit, you where just sharing the hint to promote for others, got it. What I was was trying to say: If I would want to make a bargain I would be happy that not too many other fellows are bidding to keep cost low. So if anybody else would promote the same in a forum I would not be very happy ;-)

The trino
PeteM wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:24 pm

No question about that Pete! For me to buy the second hand stuff is the only way to get good quality stuff to affordable costs.
But then I am also ok to do some retrofit and overhaul, I actually love to do - it is maybe even more fun than the microscopy itself :-).
For such a bargain of 500 USD I would even accept or willing to take into account that maybe the oculars or one or two of the objective are delamitated. For 500 USD it would still be worth it.
Guess the most important is that the Trinotube is optically ok, so no fungus or scratches - this item itselve makes probabely 50% of the value.

Wes

#9 Post by Wes » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:33 pm

Charles wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:49 pm
It does look 'crusty' but, you are getting a Standard 18 with 5 objective turret, a trinocular head, phase condenser and lighting with power source. Something a person could work with.
Sure if the parts you mention are in a good condition its a bargain. But if they are all riddled with fungus, rust and delamination I'm not sure.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel