Is my microscope broken?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
LeonhardEuler

Is my microscope broken?

#1 Post by LeonhardEuler » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:40 pm

I'm angry, I've only had this T490A microscope a couple weeks and already I have a problem

When I turn the fine focus so the stage is moving in the down direction sometimes it will click at a certain point and I notice the image in the microscope jumps slightly

This is extremely frustrating! Is there anything I can do to fix it? Jesus I can't believe only 2 weeks and this crap is happening :(

https://youtube.com/shorts/YU6xnaGSY9U

MicroBob

Re: Is my microscope broken?

#2 Post by MicroBob » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi Leonhard,
on many microscopes the fine focus only lifts the focus, it returns down only by gravity. So if you turn the fine focus all the way down, can you move the stage or arm (whatever is moved by the fine focus on your instrument upwards and does it move smoothly? Don't crash an objective in a slide testing this.

Bob

LeonhardEuler

#3 Post by LeonhardEuler » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:40 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:19 pm
Hi Leonhard,
on many microscopes the fine focus only lifts the focus, it returns down only by gravity. So if you turn the fine focus all the way down, can you move the stage or arm (whatever is moved by the fine focus on your instrument upwards and does it move smoothly? Don't crash an objective in a slide testing this.

Bob
Yes moving it up is smooth. So it is normal for it not to be smooth going down? what the heck

dtsh

#4 Post by dtsh » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:43 pm

If you are adventurous, a careful inspection and disassembly may reveal a burr or other bit which is causing a snag.

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Some microscopes have a 'range' of fine focus where you can't just continually move only the fine focus knob to focus the scope. You have to get within the operating range of the fine focus system. If you try to go beyond it the fine focus will either stop or click to tell you that you are trying to go beyond the range of fine focus. I have such a scope in the Amscope M520. When the fine focus stops I have to move the coarse focus knob closer to use fine focus again. If that is what is happening I'm not sure but it's easy enough to try. After trying, if that's not the answer keep griping about it. There are lots of folks here with a 490 and I'm sure they can give a great answer so hang in there.
Greg

LeonhardEuler

#6 Post by LeonhardEuler » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:17 pm

Greg Howald wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 pm
Some microscopes have a 'range' of fine focus where you can't just continually move only the fine focus knob to focus the scope. You have to get within the operating range of the fine focus system. If you try to go beyond it the fine focus will either stop or click to tell you that you are trying to go beyond the range of fine focus. I have such a scope in the Amscope M520. When the fine focus stops I have to move the coarse focus knob closer to use fine focus again. If that is what is happening I'm not sure but it's easy enough to try. After trying, if that's not the answer keep griping about it. There are lots of folks here with a 490 and I'm sure they can give a great answer so hang in there.
Greg
Amscopes answer was we dont know but we will replace the unit. Jeez I dont want it replaced if I dont even know whats going on yet lol.

Otherwise I could go through the hassle of a return just to find out the next one does something similar for a logical reason such as the one you mentioned.

I will keep looking for an answer, thanks!

LeonhardEuler

#7 Post by LeonhardEuler » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:17 pm

Oh my God this is incredibly frustrating. Sometimes it clicks & slips more than once on the way down, it is subtle but on the higher objective you can see the jumpy movement very clearly and I can't help but get angry.

Seta

#8 Post by Seta » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:05 pm

LeonhardEuler wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:17 pm
Oh my God this is incredibly frustrating. Sometimes it clicks & slips more than once on the way down, it is subtle but on the higher objective you can see the jumpy movement very clearly and I can't help but get angry.
I do not know on Amscopes but on BH-2 microscopes fine focus may slip if tension is not properly adjusted

LeonhardEuler

#9 Post by LeonhardEuler » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:20 pm

Seta wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:05 pm
LeonhardEuler wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:17 pm
I do not know on Amscopes but on BH-2 microscopes fine focus may slip if tension is not properly adjusted
Adjusting the tension doesn't seem to be helping

This is incredibly frustrating I may just have amscope process another replacement but at this point I am pretty irate.

Greg Howald

#10 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:29 pm

Don't forget to breathe.

Scarodactyl

#11 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:54 pm

Probably a burr or crack in one of the mechanisms. It isn't normal behavior.
Take the replacement.

Greg Howald

#12 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:51 pm

Yep. Its new and not your fault. Send it back. Get it replaced. Greg