"Pol" objectives in macrophotography under non-polarized, incident light

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
CesareBrizio

"Pol" objectives in macrophotography under non-polarized, incident light

#1 Post by CesareBrizio » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:57 pm

Good afternoon,
I would like to test a low-magnification microscope objective to take pictures in ordinary, incident light (foraminifera).
On ebay I see that some objectives are marked as "Pol", so presumably they are made with the low-strain glass needed for use under polarized light.

An example is Zeiss Jena Planachromat 6.3X Pol.

Considering that I would use the objective (designed for transmitted light) out of its original scope (that is to say, under incident light) I wonder whether a "pol" objective may work normally under standard, non-polarized incident illumination.

Thank you for your advice!

Scarodactyl

Re: "Pol" objectives in macrophotography under non-polarized, incident light

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:21 am

Low strain glass only matters to polarized light, so unpolarized light doesn't really care either way. It should be fine in that respect.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:44 am

Be advised though, that Zeiss Jena objectives will be best used with eyepieces providing the designed corrections for them.The correct Zeiss Jena eyepieces are the obvious choice but eyepieces mfg. with the same or similar corrections might work well enough : you won't know that until you try them out.
This is an independent issue outside of the pol specification.

CesareBrizio

#4 Post by CesareBrizio » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:37 am

Many thanks to Scarodactyl and Apochronaut.
I have read also elsewhere that Zeiss Jena objectives require specific eyepieces (e.g. Epiplan + KPL), but in my case the videocamera or photocamera sensor will be placed at the "tube distance" from the objective (I shan't use infinity corrected objectives), with no eyepiece interposed.
My concern was more in terms of eccessive contrast or other optical effects that may derive from POL objectives.
Again thank you for reassuring me!

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:29 am

If Jena corrections are similar to Zeiss west objectives missing the eyepiece is likely to cause some noticeable trouble, though if you only capture the very center of the field of view it may matter less.

CesareBrizio

#6 Post by CesareBrizio » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:05 pm

Again thank you for the clarification, Scarodactyl.
I'll think about the possible risks and consider POL objectives only if I'll find no better alternative.