Can someone help me understand this?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
LeonhardEuler

Can someone help me understand this?

#1 Post by LeonhardEuler » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:03 pm

I was communicating with amscope Customer Service about getting Plan Objectives and I am left a bit confused. The Representative claims that the Plan objectives wont be compatible with my microscope despite the fact that my Microscope is DIN and has a 160mm tube.

Is it possible this guy doesn't know what he's talking about?

LeonhardEuler

Re: Can someone help me understand this?

#2 Post by LeonhardEuler » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:04 pm

Here's the link to the objectives I bought. I am pretty sure they will work on my T490A microscope despite what that guy said. Right?

https://www.amscope.com/plan-objective- ... -100x.html

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:45 pm

They will work fine as a set. It is possible though, that in order for them to perform to perfectly planar well corrected specs. they would need eyepieces other than what you have on your microscope.
Amscope buys parts and entire systems from multiple factories and jobbers, so full optical compatability within a system might require you to stay within that system.

LeonhardEuler

#4 Post by LeonhardEuler » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:00 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:45 pm
They will work fine as a set. It is possible though, that in order for them to perform to perfectly planar well corrected specs. they would need eyepieces other than what you have on your microscope.
Amscope buys parts and entire systems from multiple factories and jobbers, so full optical compatability within a system might require you to stay within that system.
The objectives are NOT being advertised as needing any special eyepieces to compensate

Also I noticed that they are selling a T490 Microscope on their site that LITTERALLY has the same Plan Objectives attached. Check this out:
https://www.amscope.com/40x-1000x-plan- ... amera.html

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:49 am

Note this.... Calling Amscope customer support doesn't really do you a lot of good unless you want to return an item. Their customer support is contracted. Customer support there doesn't know anything about microscopes and customer support is not even physically on sight. Here I am speaking from personal experience and having been told that by a person at customer support.

There is one guy at the Order Desk who seems knowledgeable. His name is Nikko. Here I am speaking from the experience of my brother who will only ask Nikko.
The 490 is a good scope. In ordering objectives from Amscope the one thing you need to know is whether you need infinite or finite objectives. Any DIN, RMS 20, 160 finite objective will fit the 490. If you want to get Plan objectives you probably won't see the difference until you get above 10x. The difference is there at lower magnifications. The camera can detect it but your eyes usually can't.
Good luck. Greg

Greg Howald

#6 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:54 am

The set you have chosen will work in your scope. Some plan objectives aren't truly plan. They just go kinda half way. You can order a pair of 10x plan eyepieces if you think they are necessary. I really like mine and use them often, plan objectives or not. That should be a good set of objectives.
Greg

DonSchaeffer

#7 Post by DonSchaeffer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:06 am

They told me that my 60x objective wouldn't be compatible withmy microscope. I asked if it would fit. They said yes. I am overjoyed with this objective.

LeonhardEuler

#8 Post by LeonhardEuler » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:35 pm

DonSchaeffer wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:06 am
They told me that my 60x objective wouldn't be compatible withmy microscope. I asked if it would fit. They said yes. I am overjoyed with this objective.
Yeah I got a 60X PLAN objective too. All my PLANs should be arriving tomorrow.

I called charles in customer support who said the objectives would work on my T490 but I can return them if they dont

DonSchaeffer

#9 Post by DonSchaeffer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:02 pm

In my suspicious mind, I thought they wanted me to buy a more expensive option--the one i bought was discounted.