Pls help me spend my money!

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Jimbo

Pls help me spend my money!

#1 Post by Jimbo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:52 pm

I’m finally ready to buy my first microscope with a $400 budget for scope, and an extra $150 for slides, polarization film , and a 60X dry objective.
I know I would be happy with either the Amscope T490B or the Swift 380T, but which would you choose and why . Perhaps there is a scope I’m overlooking.
All I want to observe are “animalcules”. Stentors, hydra, rotifers etc. Thanks, Jim.

Jimbo

Re: Pls help me spend my money!

#2 Post by Jimbo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Sorry for the double post.

wild2020

#3 Post by wild2020 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:08 pm

the resale value of amscope is very bad, I have never owned one but would be worried it would fail prematurely, personally, I like to buy things with good resale value so I bought several vintage scopes and kept my favorite if you are on a budget you might be able to get an Olympus sz they are quite nice and not too expensive I got mine for under £100, then I upgraded to a wild m8 but that cost £1000 but I use it a lot so it worth it and I expect it to keep its value for many years to come if I ever choose to try something else, take a look on ebay for items closest to you if you are lucky there might be something you can pick up in person, if collecting in person bring a torch and view the optics with the eyepieces removed then you can see if there is fungus if there is any I would not buy it.

dtsh

#4 Post by dtsh » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:49 pm

I would consider some 15x eyepieces over the 60x dry myself. Assuming you have the usual load of 4x, 10x, 40x, 100x it would add 6x (meh), 15x, and 60x. The rule of thumb of 1000 x NA as max usable magnification gives you more utility with 15x than it does with 20x and gives you more magnification range than the single objective. I think the 20x on the Amscope are likely to put it past the useful limit and the 25x with the Swift I think is absurd, so I wouldn't consider either as a value.

I don't have any experience with either myself, but it looks to me like the Swift has a condenser secured to the stage, which if true, would completely remove it from consideration for me.

I honestly think you're at the pricepoint where a little more money would give selection of better instruments, but that same agrument can agrue for an ever increasing amount until the only choices are instruments one could never afford.

I also prefer the vintage route, but that often involves some tinkering which not everyone appreciates; though one can frequently get a nice used instrument that's been checked over and comes with some assurances for not a whole lot more and bypass the gamble.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:08 pm

Happy to send you the guide we use to various microscope brands and models if you PM where you want a PDF sent. Might help you find a great used $400 scope.

Greg Howald

#6 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:12 am

The Amscope 490 is expandable or upgradeable. You can buy dark field condenser and phase contrast for it. The swift is not. The condenser on the Swift is not removable. That takes it totally out of the running for me.

Jimbo

#7 Post by Jimbo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:23 am

Thanks all. I’m leaning toward the T490B at this point, but just found a new contender: the Amscope T:340B-DK for $363!
It has good reviews on Amazon and sounds too good to be true.
The only thing that makes me hesitant is the”340” series number.
Then again the T490B-DK is available but costs $450. I guess I could stretch the budget, but what’s the difference between them?

Jimbo

#8 Post by Jimbo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:17 pm

Will start a new thread about these two scopes.

Greg Howald

#9 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:13 pm

AMSCOPE PREPARED SLIDES STINK! THEIR MOUNTING MEDIUM SETS UP WITH SPECKLES OF CRYSTALIZATION, RUINING ANY IMAGE IN DARK FIELD, POLARIZATION, AND RHEINBERG FILTRATION.

Amscope microscopes are fine. You may have to center the lamp to assure good brightness, but all of my fifteen scopes are Amscope and they work fine once you take the time for good and proper set up. The 30 watt 490 gives better imaging than the 20 watt, but once centered, the 20 watt performance is at least satisfactory.