Concerns on SW380T condenser

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Jimbo

Concerns on SW380T condenser

#1 Post by Jimbo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:12 pm

I think I just found out that the sw380t’s condenser is not removable. It’s probable that I might never upgrade to a dark field one, but it seems like it might be a downside to this scope. What do you guys think?

PeteM

Re: Concerns on SW380T condenser

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:19 pm

The stage-attached condenser kind of goes with the price point. It will still work way better than the pinhole diaphragms of even cheaper scopes - just not with the easy focusing and multiple condenser options of more expensive or once-expensive used scopes. Similar deals with the cost-reduced illumination system, the not entirely fine focusing for focus stacking, and so on. Still not a bad scope to start with, especially if you want to buy new.

SilverWolf

#3 Post by SilverWolf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:34 pm

It has a removable condenser, it's just mounted in a different way and actually attached to the bottom of the stage. There is no standard dark field condenser upgrade option offered by Swift, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. You can certainly mount a dark field condenser to the swift 380, just a matter of finding either the correct fitting condenser or making a different mount for the condenser so it sits at the correct height (one of the members here has done this just 3D printing an adapter).

There are other microscope brands that do have the standard type of condenser mount to the rack if you think they may be more suited to your wants/needs. Just take your time looking at all your options before hand.

You can also use patch stop filters in the filter holder to get dark field which is all I have done so far, this was my first attempt below using the Swift 380T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2wHBlLqQWM
Cheers
Wolf :ugeek:

Jimbo

#4 Post by Jimbo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 am

PeteM and Wolf, thanks for your input. It’s so hard to choose. I have decided I want to buy new, I’m weird that way!
Wolf, nice image and nice job tracking. Was that a Euplotes?

Voyager-1

#5 Post by Voyager-1 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:07 am

Jimbo,

Many types of darkfield options, one of the ways I use is the filter holder type below the condenser.
Here is a short explanation on using the various types.

https://www.olympus-lifescience.com/en/ ... rheinberg/

Have fun!

V

SilverWolf

#6 Post by SilverWolf » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:39 am

Jimbo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 am
PeteM and Wolf, thanks for your input. It’s so hard to choose. I have decided I want to buy new, I’m weird that way!
Wolf, nice image and nice job tracking. Was that a Euplotes?
I'm still new to all these tiny critters but I think that is a rotifer in the dark field trial video I linked, thank you for the kind remarks though. I also felt much safer going with something new, I didn't know enough for the 2nd hand market and well here they were all way over my budget pre-loved also. And if you don't have help or know what your getting some pre-loved can be a money-pit, if you do know then there can be much value to be had. All depends on what you want to do and how you wish to do it, there is so many facets and ways to enjoy microscopy.
Cheers
Wolf :ugeek:

LouiseScot

#7 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:58 pm

Hi

Have a look-see how I upgraded mine: https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... =30#p99062
Also some images in '380T - the Darkside' :)
It's obviously easier with an actual Amscope but I was quite pleased with the Swift results after I eventually got the adjustment right.

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo