Ok, maybe my final choice, help me please...

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
InstantMochiii

Ok, maybe my final choice, help me please...

#1 Post by InstantMochiii » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:32 pm

So, after a *lot* of research, I've mayyyybe decided on an Amscope T490B-LED. The only problem is, when I go to Amazon, the product description is basically non-existent, and when I go to the website, it doesn't show for some reason? Like, I'll search it up, but when I go to the product page all I see is half a picture, and that's it... I can't scroll or anything... :/ And I have a pretty long list of things I want to see in a microscope.

Can someone who is familiar with this model tell me if it checks off the things on my list? It'd help a lot!

My (kinda really super long) requirements! :D
  • Potentiometer (Light dim/brighter)
  • Mostly metal where needed, and sturdy
  • Mechanical stage
  • Glass optics (I'm pretty sure all microscopes other than the really bad ones are glass to be honest though)
  • Coarse and fine focusing (I mean, this is probably a given)
  • Iris diaphragm
  • Good resolution
  • Can do darkfield and phase contrast... I'm pretty sure it can though, as long as I get the filters and turret.
  • Abbe condenser (I've seen something about NA, but I don't know what it is)
  • Stage moves up and down, side to side, and front to back
  • Has the filter holding thing (I'm sorry T-T I don't know what to call it)
  • Bulb replaceable when needed (In case the bulb dies on me... that would be sad.)
  • Adjustable diopter and parfocal distance
  • Objectives can be switched out for others
  • Spring-loaded objectives. DIN and achromat.
  • Rack/stage stopper
  • 3-4W light source if LED, or 30W halogen
  • Field diaphragm (Is this the same thing as an Iris diaphragm?)
Also, I'm assuming the objectives can be switched out, right?

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this all and helps me out :D I'm really, extremely lost- >'~'<

InstantMochiii

Re: Ok, maybe my final choice, help me please...

#2 Post by InstantMochiii » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:42 pm

Ok, never mind now, lol~ The product page is working again~!

Red_Green

#3 Post by Red_Green » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:38 pm

Even though I have the halogen version... The T490 is the same albeit different lighting, Here are the answers.

Yes
95% mostly. The xy knobs could be sturdier and the condenser up and down knob could be sturdier. Otherwise all good. You'l treat er' like it's your baby anyway
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes to phase kit and probably to darkfield. Another dude posted his on here and said it does darkfield well.
yes
yes
yes

Led bulbs never really need replacing. If for whatever reason 50 years later it needs replacing, I'm sure it could be done. Count yourself lucky, halogen replacements are like $17 each. I think. Maybe more.

Yes
yes

yes although the 4x is small so there is no spring loaded on a 4x. The rest of them are.

Yes - adjustable. and it is an absolute B*** to adjust. lol

Don't know

The diaphragm is built into the condenser

Yes objectives can be switched out as long as they are din standard

InstantMochiii

#4 Post by InstantMochiii » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:05 pm

Red_Green wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:38 pm
Even though I have the halogen version... The T490 is the same albeit different lighting, Here are the answers.

Yes
95% mostly. The xy knobs could be sturdier and the condenser up and down knob could be sturdier. Otherwise all good. You'l treat er' like it's your baby anyway
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes to phase kit and probably to darkfield. Another dude posted his on here and said it does darkfield well.
yes
yes
yes

Led bulbs never really need replacing. If for whatever reason 50 years later it needs replacing, I'm sure it could be done. Count yourself lucky, halogen replacements are like $17 each. I think. Maybe more.

Yes
yes

yes although the 4x is small so there is no spring loaded on a 4x. The rest of them are.

Yes - adjustable. and it is an absolute B*** to adjust. lol

Don't know

The diaphragm is built into the condenser

Yes objectives can be switched out as long as they are din standard
XDDD Thank you for always helping me out, haha~! I'm thinking T490 is probably what I'll go for now, hahaha.

👉👈 One last question would you say that it's easy to replace the bulb on your halogen microscope? I have no experience (like at all, except for changing the battery in my TV remote) with circuits and whatnot...

Red_Green

#5 Post by Red_Green » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:44 pm

InstantMochiii wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:05 pm

XDDD Thank you for always helping me out, haha~! I'm thinking T490 is probably what I'll go for now, hahaha.

👉👈 One last question would you say that it's easy to replace the bulb on your halogen microscope? I have no experience (like at all, except for changing the battery in my TV remote) with circuits and whatnot...
No worries. With both the halogen and the led model it is very easy to access the bulb and fuse. All you have to do is is unscrew the door on the bottom. (no tools required).

This guy here bought the LED model you are thinking about. He added lots of pics. Check these threads out.

https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... hilit=t490

https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 90#p100480

InstantMochiii

#6 Post by InstantMochiii » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:23 pm

Red_Green wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:44 pm
InstantMochiii wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:05 pm

No worries. With both the halogen and the led model it is very easy to access the bulb and fuse. All you have to do is is unscrew the door on the bottom. (no tools required).

This guy here bought the LED model you are thinking about. He added lots of pics. Check these threads out.

https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... hilit=t490

https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 90#p100480
Alright, I'll check them out right now! Thank youuuu~