Very dirty Nikon microscope, what to do?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Sanderguy777

Very dirty Nikon microscope, what to do?

#1 Post by Sanderguy777 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:56 am

So I just got this old Nikon microscope today. I ordered it on Ebay, and it just got here. The light works, but I really don't know if anything else does (I didn't check anything about the x/y movement, or even look past anything more the 4x as the dust is SO bad.

It is a trinocular Series S with the KT base. It has the type U tri head with the 3 options for where light goes.

I'll get some pictures later, but it was well used and the stage especially is very well worn. The optical system is absolutely terrible as it was NOT well taken care of, at least since whoever used it stopped using it. There is dust on every optical part in it that I can SEE, and some of them have visible mold or mildew growing on the surface of the glass.

Anyway, I live near the SF Bay Area, so I was wondering if anyone knows where I might find a cheap repair place that could tear it down and clean it.
If not, is there any chance that I (with no experience with microscopes, but having totally strapped and repaired a 60s Craftsman tablesaw) could clean this and get it going again? What would I need for that project? Obviously lots of lens paper and 70% ethanol (what the current Nikon regime says is best, so I assume it has not changed since the old scopes...)

Thanks for any suggestions. Again, I'm new and have only had a tiny bit of experience with a cheap old microscope that didn't work well and had optics that were probably about as clean as these lol.

viktor j nilsson

Re: Very dirty Nikon microscope, what to do?

#2 Post by viktor j nilsson » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:31 am

Fixing up a Nikon S is definitely something you can do yourself if you have some basic mechanical experience (and it seems you do). Fixing your own microscope is a great way to learn about and become familiar with your equipment.

With that said, I wonder if it's worth it. It sounds as if your microscope is in really poor shape. Dust is fine, but the mold suggest that it has been stored in high humidity, which is very very bad for both optical and mechanical components. Can you return it? Since you are in the Bay area, you should be able to find a better deal - live in one of the best areas in the world for picking up a good used microscope. Living in Europe, I could only dream of having access to that kind of market.

Sanderguy777

#3 Post by Sanderguy777 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:06 am

Nope, the seller doesn't accept returns, and while they didn't say it was basically unusable, they also didn't say it worked, so I can't use the Ebay return either (not that I really want to, honestly).

It came from Ohio actually lol. So that explains the humidity. I actually have a working camera lens that has a bit of that mold (no idea what it might find to eat on a camera lens...).
You can look at my other thread "Newbie" for photos. (I'm on my photo, and can't send in the "full" resolution phone pictures lol, but there are a few over there that show the condition.)

Anyway, the biggest issue I have is not knowing if there is some really important thing like prism alignment that I don't know about, that might mess up the optical system. And there are at least 2 rusted screws, and a knob that raises and lowered the filter holder under the condenser that has some old solidified grease. The screws bother me, since they are undoubtedly metric, and undoubtedly some oddball thing that only THIS scope used, and will cost a fortune in time and money to replace. Not to mention the issue of removing them and then finding what they are hiding...

The reality is this. I spent $80 on this. It is complete to my knowledge, with a U type head, a S-Kt base, and a rotating square stage with non-Nikon mechanical slide holder thing.
If I get it professionally cleaned, I'll have a working scope that has EVERYTHING I would want in my first scope and more (assuming the optics still work). But that will cost $110 and hour plus a trip 50 miles to the repair shop.

If I work on it, I'll spend another $50 on cleaning stuff like lens paper and 70% ethanol, and specially designed swabs and whatnot, and gain the experience and better understanding, and I'd I ruin it, I still have all the accessories like the condenser, stage, etc, for a LOT less money.

But I THINK that this is worth more than that cleaning would cost, and I would like to basically start off with a basically clean and functional scope rather than one that is full of dust so I can never use it.

Is there a thread that details HOW, specifically, to deep clean the optics on the inside or better yet a video? I didn't see anything on yourube other than "how to clean the ocular" or "how dirty are YOUR AirPods?!"

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:23 am

There are several issues here that are better treated separately, one by one. It would help to see photos of the microscope. And initial treatment and cleaning should be done without any disassembly. Deep clean, complete tear down is not the first step to take.

1. To Return or not to Return. It depends how the scope was described on eBay. If listed as "as is" or "for parts" then a return cannot be justified. If listed as "used" it should be working. If the illumination does not provide light (short of burnt bulb that cane be replaced, or just a broken wall plug) it is not functional. If any of the optical parts is broke or cracked or missing, it is not functional. If any of the controls: focusing knob, nosepiece turret, condenser raising/lowering knob, inter-pupillary adjustment, stage X-Y controls, are frozen and will not move (by hand and finger power, not by means of pliers), the microscope is not functional. In all those cases, the chances of eBay-backed return and refund are, IMHO, high.

2. Dust. Dust is not really a problem. No need to spend a fortune on cleaning materials. First, apply compressed air from a manual blower (NOT a power compressor that may deliver oil droplets in the air). Camera shops carry the combined blower-soft brush for cleaning lenses. Blow the dust away from all external surfaces. Then, wear cheap thin rubber gloves, and wipe all surfaces except glass with a slightly damp soft cotton cloth. Some people worry about microbes and stuff from previous use in hospitals or clinic labs. So, Wipe all mechanical parts (not the glass) with a similar cloth, lightly damped with 70% alcohol.

3. Old sticky/hardened grease can be removed with heptane/petrol ether/lighter fluid. Wiping, not flooding.

So far, no lens tissue was suggested or needed.

4. Blow off all dust from external, easily accessible glass surfaces. After that, exhale on each surface and very gently wipe it (do not rub!) with either a lens tissue or the cloth provided by Optometrists for cleaning eyeglasses. Do it without disassembly - just remove the objectives, oculars, condenser. Never wipe a dry glass surface.

5. If the light goes on, now is the time for an initial test of the microscope. Put a slide of a contrasty specimen on the stage. A botanical slide would be good, but an insects wing is also good. Or a dry blood slide that clinics provide. Do you see a focused image at least with the low magnification objectives ?

dtsh

#5 Post by dtsh » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:05 pm

Sanderguy777 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:06 am
If I work on it, I'll spend another $50 on cleaning stuff like lens paper and 70% ethanol, and specially designed swabs and whatnot, and gain the experience and better understanding, and I'd I ruin it, I still have all the accessories like the condenser, stage, etc, for a LOT less money.
A jug of distilled water will last a long time and is super cheap, a couple of bucks.
Some cotton swabs, assuming you don't already have some, are also very inexpensive.
A bottle of isopropyl alcohol
In the women's make-up isle of the store you can probably find cotton wipes; they're usually round, intended for wiping off make-up I believe, also very inexpensive handy.
That's the bulk of the cleaning material you'll need, $10-$15 should cover it, less if you're frugal.
Sanderguy777 wrote:
But I THINK that this is worth more than that cleaning would cost, and I would like to basically start off with a basically clean and functional scope rather than one that is full of dust so I can never use it.
There's nothing wrong with having an instrument cleaned professionally. So much in life is a decision of money over time; I *like* taking things apart so for me it's an easy decision, but I know not everyone likes that sort of thing.

Sanderguy777

#6 Post by Sanderguy777 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:10 pm

dtsh wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:05 pm
Sanderguy777 wrote:
A jug of distilled water will last a long time and is super cheap, a couple of bucks.
Some cotton swabs, assuming you don't already have some, are also very inexpensive.
A bottle of isopropyl alcohol
In the women's make-up isle of the store you can probably find cotton wipes; they're usually round, intended for wiping off make-up I believe, also very inexpensive handy.
That's the bulk of the cleaning material you'll need, $10-$15 should cover it, less if you're frugal.
Sanderguy777 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with having an instrument cleaned professionally. So much in life is a decision of money over time; I *like* taking things apart so for me it's an easy decision, but I know not everyone likes that sort of thing.
I enjoy taking things apart, but I'm worried about ruining something in THIS thing. I know that taking a tablesaw apart, I can use Sim ple Green and whatever, and the only problem is remembering to install all the parts where they go, and to dry, oil, and lubricate it. A microscope (especially of this caliber) has a lot of delicate moving parts and optics that I can't just set in a bath of whatever to soak....

I have most of that stuff, but Nikon recommends 70% ethanol, not isopropyl, so I was unsure if I could use the cheap and easily available one on the optics.
Hobbyst46 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:23 am
There are several issues here that are better treated separately, one by one. It would help to see photos of the microscope. And initial treatment and cleaning should be done without any disassembly. Deep clean, complete tear down is not the first step to take.

1. To Return or not to Return. It depends how the scope was described on eBay. If listed as "as is" or "for parts" then a return cannot be justified. If listed as "used" it should be working. If the illumination does not provide light (short of burnt bulb that cane be replaced, or just a broken wall plug) it is not functional. If any of the optical parts is broke or cracked or missing, it is not functional. If any of the controls: focusing knob, nosepiece turret, condenser raising/lowering knob, inter-pupillary adjustment, stage X-Y controls, are frozen and will not move (by hand and finger power, not by means of pliers), the microscope is not functional. In all those cases, the chances of eBay-backed return and refund are, IMHO, high.

2. Dust. Dust is not really a problem. No need to spend a fortune on cleaning materials. First, apply compressed air from a manual blower (NOT a power compressor that may deliver oil droplets in the air). Camera shops carry the combined blower-soft brush for cleaning lenses. Blow the dust away from all external surfaces. Then, wear cheap thin rubber gloves, and wipe all surfaces except glass with a slightly damp soft cotton cloth. Some people worry about microbes and stuff from previous use in hospitals or clinic labs. So, Wipe all mechanical parts (not the glass) with a similar cloth, lightly damped with 70% alcohol.

3. Old sticky/hardened grease can be removed with heptane/petrol ether/lighter fluid. Wiping, not flooding.

So far, no lens tissue was suggested or needed.

4. Blow off all dust from external, easily accessible glass surfaces. After that, exhale on each surface and very gently wipe it (do not rub!) with either a lens tissue or the cloth provided by Optometrists for cleaning eyeglasses. Do it without disassembly - just remove the objectives, oculars, condenser. Never wipe a dry glass surface.

5. If the light goes on, now is the time for an initial test of the microscope. Put a slide of a contrasty specimen on the stage. A botanical slide would be good, but an insects wing is also good. Or a dry blood slide that clinics provide. Do you see a focused image at least with the low magnification objectives ?
Ok, here are the photos I mentioned in my last post, from the other thread.

1. I checked, and the illuminator works (they said so in the description). Everything else works well, EXCEPT that the condenser adjustment is stiff (bad grease), and I can't get a clear image out of the binocular part of the trinocular head. I never see one circle of light, it is always one plus a little crescent of the other (that might be me, or some apparently rare thing where the prisms are out of adjustment in regard to each other). It was "used" but they never said it worked outright.

2. will 70% isopropyl alcohol work, or do I need 70% ethanol? and am I wiping the WHOLE thing, or just the non-optical components?

4. Just breathe on it? Shouldn't I use alcohol or something more damp (not wet so it gets into the inner workings)? I come from an amateur photography background, and breathing on camera lenses is NOT recommended in anything I have read. (not saying you're wrong, just that I have always heard it was bad somehow.)

5. So, I should clean the outside parts, (ignoring the inner workings for now) and then test the function of the microscope and whether it works, to know if I should return it?
Attachments
MS 3.jpg
MS 3.jpg (123.98 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
MS 4.jpg
MS 4.jpg (104.44 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
MS 5.jpg
MS 5.jpg (94.71 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
MS 6.jpg
MS 6.jpg (134.24 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
MS 7.jpg
MS 7.jpg (126.82 KiB) Viewed 10276 times

dtsh

#7 Post by dtsh » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:08 pm

Sanderguy777 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:10 pm
I enjoy taking things apart, but I'm worried about ruining something in THIS thing. I know that taking a tablesaw apart, I can use Sim ple Green and whatever, and the only problem is remembering to install all the parts where they go, and to dry, oil, and lubricate it. A microscope (especially of this caliber) has a lot of delicate moving parts and optics that I can't just set in a bath of whatever to soak....
As I said, I understand that and I'm not poo-pooing the idea of having it cleaned; professional service has value even beyond the basic peace of mind, but the basic cleaning you'll want to learn anyhow or you'll be bringing it to them quite often. I suspect my environment is a tad more active and "dirty" than many as I do many projects in my workspace. That combined with the normal crud living organisms produce, and that there are a number of them in the house, means there's dust and debris everywhere here. I keep my scopes covered, but still there's something to clean even if it's just blowing off dust with a pooter.
Sanderguy777 wrote:
I have most of that stuff, but Nikon recommends 70% ethanol, not isopropyl, so I was unsure if I could use the cheap and easily available one on the optics.
Call me a hack, but I use 95% grain alcohol and water it down as needed when I need ethanol. There might be a reason to not use this, but if there is I am wholly unaware of it and would appreciate a correction if this is foolish.
I use isopropyl most of the time and ethanol only when it's specifically called for such as when preparing mounts.
Sanderguy777 wrote:
1. I checked, and the illuminator works (they said so in the description). Everything else works well, EXCEPT that the condenser adjustment is stiff (bad grease), and I can't get a clear image out of the binocular part of the trinocular head. I never see one circle of light, it is always one plus a little crescent of the other (that might be me, or some apparently rare thing where the prisms are out of adjustment in regard to each other). It was "used" but they never said it worked outright.
As eBay defines the terms, "Used" means working. It might have cosmetic damage and minor blemishes, but "Used" means functional; "For part or not-working" is for anything that isn't in working condition.
Sanderguy777 wrote:
2. will 70% isopropyl alcohol work, or do I need 70% ethanol? and am I wiping the WHOLE thing, or just the non-optical components?
I try to avoid solvents of any type on optics if I can at all avoid it. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but I would give it a few passes with a distilled water or soap and water if water isn't quite enough, especially on the optics. I don't know the coatings they used, they're *probably* OK when hit with alcohol, but I don't know for certain. Someone else can probably give more accurate answers to this question.

Hobbyst46

#8 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:03 pm

Some clarifications.

70% ethanol is a proper disinfection liquid, not 95% or 100% ethanol. I suggested it in the case of fear from any microbes that were attached to the scope. Not a must. If the outside of the microscope is stained with grease or oil or some sticky organic residue, try one of the solvents below to clean it. Never use any stronger solvent (like acetone).

Breathing on the glass causes condensation, a thin layer of liquid that aids cleaning and prevents dry rubbing of the glass, which might harm the coating.

Solvents: Pure (95% or higher) ethanol removes grease and oil, BUT isopropyl alcohol (IPA) does it better and is recommended for lenses. Heptane or lighter fluid or petrol ether are even better oil and grease removers. And are relatively safe for the optics. Always use such solvents only if a water-damp cloth does not work. Always use such liquids sparingly, just a drop on the lens tissue, or a good-quality Q-tip moistened with the liquid. Pass the cleaning cloth just once on the glass, do not rub.

Perhaps the obscured view through the eyepieces is caused by the beam splitter within the trino head ? any push-rod that is not fully shifted ? is the specimen visible through the photo tube ?

A frozen condenser rack may be treated with a drop or two of solvent or of a liquid similar to WD-40 (but NOT in spray form; do not spray anything on a microscope).

Look for a web document named "The Clean Microscope" by Zeiss.

Sanderguy777

#9 Post by Sanderguy777 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:47 am

Ok, I think I might find some time this weekend and pick up some distilled water and stuff. I'll just clean the outside, and the easy to take off parts and then see what it all looks like.

Thanks!

Rossf

#10 Post by Rossf » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:58 pm

Hi Sanderguy777 At least for the objectives you can often find an orphan set in good condition for pretty cheap-or even Olympus equivalents from the 60s-Olympus achromat can come in really cheapskate sets-I’ve this scope with polorizer attachment and they are very upgradable-phase,Darkfield etc.I like to take as many parts off (stage,head,etc and vacuum like mad-just try to remove larger grit before cleaning it with any liquids-just my method-for optics I’ve found zeiss lens wipes to be excellent and I found them in the supermarket of all places-for glasses,binoculars,phones,microscope optics-all the smart phones has made good microscope objective wipes available while getting milk and bread...photo below of the packet-good luck if you decide to keep it-at least your can attach a camera to it. Also the condenser is an oblique one-you can decentre the iris while adjusting the iris for a bit more sharpness and contrast.
Regards ross
Attachments
C971D8D1-4CD1-4551-B808-04A6AD41277A.jpeg
C971D8D1-4CD1-4551-B808-04A6AD41277A.jpeg (242.49 KiB) Viewed 10168 times

Rossf

#11 Post by Rossf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:52 am

Sanderguy777 I forgot mention check the toggle on the back of the trinocular head is properly set at one of the three settings (30% visual 70% photo/100% visual/100% photo) as a prism could be stuck in a half position giving you the incomplete visual via the eyepieces.
See photo below
Attachments
E9261AA7-A5B8-489B-956F-EE8BAAC0904E.jpeg
E9261AA7-A5B8-489B-956F-EE8BAAC0904E.jpeg (107.23 KiB) Viewed 10134 times

Sanderguy777

#12 Post by Sanderguy777 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:55 pm

Rossf wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:52 am
Sanderguy777 I forgot mention check the toggle on the back of the trinocular head is properly set at one of the three settings (30% visual 70% photo/100% visual/100% photo) as a prism could be stuck in a half position giving you the incomplete visual via the eyepieces.
See photo below
I don't know if it was me, or the toggle, but I figured out how to see through it, as in one circle. despite the dust and stuff all over, I could see better through this than I ever could with the old mirrored scope I had.

I actually have a bunch of those Zeiss wipes for my camera. I was afraid to use them for fear they might mess with the Nikon coatings, but they shouldn't I suppose.

I still haven't messed with it more than finding out that it all functions properly EXCEPT for the knob to raise and lower the condenser, but I plan on cleaning it this weekend (or at least getting the stuff on hand).

Rossf

#13 Post by Rossf » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:56 pm

Yes the best product to clean objetives is always floating around this forum-I used to use a bit of isopropyl but really it just pushed grease around leaving streaks-those zeiss wipes seem to have a surfactant like ingredient-I’ve never had such clean objectives since using them-need to use a turned around eyepiece to check how cleaning is going-and good to look at the front element from the side to see streaks left over-I went into the makeup department of supermarket and got a tiny very gentle brush for brushing off anything that could be abrasive before using wipes-and even before that I take each objective and put the end really close the vacuum cleaner in case that can suck off any grit! Can the condenser holder move at all or is it really stuck? Or as the Munchkin’s may sing in the land of Oz ..”Is it only merely stuck or really most completely stuck?”
Regards ross

Sanderguy777

#14 Post by Sanderguy777 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:37 pm

It is pretty really completely stuck. I moved it once, but only barely and with WAY too much force. I bought the stuff to clean it, but have had finals and other stuff going since then, so... I'll do it eventually. Definitely a project that is high on my list, so about the 22nd of this month I should be able to start it.

Sanderguy777

#15 Post by Sanderguy777 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:59 pm

I started to clean the scope and found that there were several screws that were rusted, old grease, and then I got scared I would mess up the optical alignment.

So my questions are:

1. Are the screws normal sizes or something rare or custom?

2. Is there any alignment or something I need to worry about?

3. Is there a store or something near San Francisco, California that I could take this to get it fixed? I have looked around, but I haven't found any that seems to be in business any more. For such an important service, it seems like there would be more companies that do it...

PeteM

#16 Post by PeteM » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:34 am

A few thoughts:

- There are still some microscope repair people in the Bay Area, but a complete refurbishment is likely to cost substantially more than the value of the scope. Even the hundreds of oil and tire change places in the Bay Area are getting $100+ per hour of labor -- and finding even semi-skilled mechanics hard to find. It's harder to find people with knowledge of scopes. About half the microscope dealers formerly in the Bay Area (such as Technical Instruments) are no longer providing service.

- Most of this work you can do yourself if you're a bit handy - and if nothing else it's a good way to acquire a few tools (a couple small JIS screwdrivers, a small spanner wrench, etc.) and learn about your scope. Rusted screws can be removed and polished, dried grease removed and replaced, and so on. Worst case, you have a learning opportunity and a good chance of having a decent scope at the end. The trinocular head is a plus - and likely to work once cleaned up.

- It helps to take a few photos as you remove things - easier to remember what goes back where. It also helps to do your disassembly in something like a large cake pan so little parts don't fly off and go missing.

- Before investing a lot of time or money, you might want to check that the plastic fine focus gear is still working. Don't force it - just gently test. If it doesn't work reliably, open this bit up first. Replacement gears are hard to find - and a broken one might have you looking elsewhere. Also check the condenser focus plastic gear. These are less likely to have failed, but still somewhat common. If the fine focus is broken, you can still use the scope with its coarse focus, but it won't be convenient for use on a 40x and very difficult on a 100x objective.

Sanderguy777

#17 Post by Sanderguy777 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:56 am

PeteM wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:34 am
A few thoughts:

- There are still some microscope repair people in the Bay Area, but a complete refurbishment is likely to cost substantially more than the value of the scope. Even the hundreds of oil and tire change places in the Bay Area are getting $100+ per hour of labor -- and finding even semi-skilled mechanics hard to find. It's harder to find people with knowledge of scopes. About half the microscope dealers formerly in the Bay Area (such as Technical Instruments) are no longer providing service.

- Most of this work you can do yourself if you're a bit handy - and if nothing else it's a good way to acquire a few tools (a couple small JIS screwdrivers, a small spanner wrench, etc.) and learn about your scope. Rusted screws can be removed and polished, dried grease removed and replaced, and so on. Worst case, you have a learning opportunity and a good chance of having a decent scope at the end. The trinocular head is a plus - and likely to work once cleaned up.

- It helps to take a few photos as you remove things - easier to remember what goes back where. It also helps to do your disassembly in something like a large cake pan so little parts don't fly off and go missing.

- Before investing a lot of time or money, you might want to check that the plastic fine focus gear is still working. Don't force it - just gently test. If it doesn't work reliably, open this bit up first. Replacement gears are hard to find - and a broken one might have you looking elsewhere. Also check the condenser focus plastic gear. These are less likely to have failed, but still somewhat common. If the fine focus is broken, you can still use the scope with its coarse focus, but it won't be convenient for use on a 40x and very difficult on a 100x objective.
Yeah, the only place I saw that might be viable is Microtechsol and that was just from the old Techinst LinkedIn page (the new website was there, but the new address just looks like someone's house...). It doesn't look legit at all.

I have a workbench I use, but a tray or cake pan is a good idea.
I have very small screwdrivers, but I'm not familiar with the ones you mentioned. Is that a brand or type?

I have restored an old 50s tablesaw and an 80s scrollsaw, so I would call myself handy, but this is much smaller, more precision, and harder to get parts for since the parts are unique or way smaller than home depot carries lol.

The fine focus works fine (the lock mechanism doesn't, so I think the lock may have been disabled at some point, or the grease made it inoperable, which happened to that tablrsae I mentioned). The stage adjustment knob is seized. I moved it once, but it took too much torque to be safe at all.
If I wanted new gears, do you think a local jeweler or clockmaker would be able to make them, or is Clickspring a on of a kind guy as far as skill go?

BramHuntingNematodes

#18 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:51 am

small screwdrivers are fine you won't need any new parts since you won't lose any of these. If you can take apart a scroll saw and put it back together you can take apart a 1942 Dynoptic and I bet a Nikon S isn't too far removed from that.

Best bet for the gears is that either they aren't broken. If they are cracked clean them real good and try to epoxy them whole again. I bet all the parts are still in there-- you'll find them. I got this one scope, my Dynazoom, got something like 16 .1562" diameter ball bearings(part #312694-152 ND in the official manual) in the nosepiece. Just jangling around in this loose bearing guide. They all fell out onto my lap and the concrete basement floor when I opened it up the first time. Took me two days but I found all of them.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

PeteM

#19 Post by PeteM » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:00 am

Sanderguy777 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:56 am
. . .
I have very small screwdrivers, but I'm not familiar with the ones you mentioned. Is that a brand or type? . . .
"JIS" screwdrivers are the Japan Industrial Standard equivalent to Phillips head screwdrivers. While the screws look much the same, a regular Phillips in a JIS screw is likely to strip it out the head of a balky screw in a Japanese instrument (motorcycle, etc.).

Scarodactyl

#20 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:59 pm

With newer nikon screws they have a good chance of stripping even with the right driver. They have found the softest, butteryest metal possible for them.

Sanderguy777

#21 Post by Sanderguy777 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:28 pm

BHN: I don't plan on loosing parts, but I'll definitely clean up the garage before I try messing with it.

PeteM: I think this predates the JIS screws, or at least I haven't seen any "Phillip's" screws on it.

Scarodactyl: is there anywhere I can go to get new screws? I would like to get some that have less butter content, maybe even SS....

Phill Brown

#22 Post by Phill Brown » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:58 pm

I've not found Nikon Labophot 2 screws to be cheese at all,1980's onward is recent to me.
Stuck tight beyond belief sometimes though.
I've put the tip of a soldering iron in crosshead screws to soften thread lock without damaging anything, the swelling and cooling can be enough to make the difference also.
As a clockmaker I could not see making focus gears as viable,too many donor 'scopes with failed power supplies out there to need to.
Tapping new threads into alloy is easy. Choose your own screws next size up.

Scarodactyl

#23 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:28 pm

My gripe is mostly with bolts in the later SMZ stereos. They're standard metric bolts so even hardware store replacements work fine.

Sanderguy777

#24 Post by Sanderguy777 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:59 pm

Phill Brown wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:58 pm
I've not found Nikon Labophot 2 screws to be cheese at all,1980's onward is recent to me.
Stuck tight beyond belief sometimes though.
I've put the tip of a soldering iron in crosshead screws to soften thread lock without damaging anything, the swelling and cooling can be enough to make the difference also.
As a clockmaker I could not see making focus gears as viable,too many donor 'scopes with failed power supplies out there to need to.
Tapping new threads into alloy is easy. Choose your own screws next size up.
Any idea if the ones on my unit are metric?

Is there a thread pitch checker you recommend? (I have looked on Amazon but none look much good, but you mentioned you're a clockmaker, so yours would HAVE to be good. )

eKretz2

#25 Post by eKretz2 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:12 am

Stainless steel screws are usually more "butter" than alloy screws. If you want some really good quality screws look for Holo-Krome brand in the yellow box (these are U.S.-made - green box are imported). They are about the best quality screws I've ever used. (Coming from a former machinist and toolmaker here).

Dubious

#26 Post by Dubious » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:54 am

There is (or was) a bolt/fastener store in the SF East Bay that specializes in hard-to-find sizes/threads. I was there many years and was surprised they actually had the odd-ball bolt I needed. Can't remember the name, but an old timer at a hardware store might know.

Phill Brown

#27 Post by Phill Brown » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:26 am

I don't have any Nikon from that era.
I would expect metric but as always happy to be corrected.
Coarse, standard and fine metric available.
External threads on screws would be easy to check with a low cost thread pitch tool.
Cheaper is to offer the threads of a known screw into the one in question.
If the outer diameter is the same and the pitch fits together you are on a winner.

Sanderguy777

#28 Post by Sanderguy777 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:03 am

Thanks!

I have started the teardown today (oh, I had no idea what I was getting myself into! Anyone know they made 3mm long setscrews? Me neither, not till today!)

Anyway, I am working on the diopter and want to know what kind of grease I need to use. I have Lucas red N Tacky, but it doesn't say synthetic, only "complex lithium grease" which tells me nothing lol. I don't want this to need to be done again, and certainly not because of some trashy grease I put on...

Phill Brown

#29 Post by Phill Brown » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:27 am

Nyogel 767A grease is worth looking into.
It's pricy in the UK which is why I haven't tried it.

Sanderguy777

#30 Post by Sanderguy777 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:09 am

Phill Brown wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:27 am
Nyogel 767A grease is worth looking into.
It's pricy in the UK which is why I haven't tried it.
Lol. I might look into it but it sounds like something I'll have the same excuse for!

Do I need synthetic grease, or does it really matter?