should i buy Bresser phase contrast series 57?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
chrisimbee

should i buy Bresser phase contrast series 57?

#1 Post by chrisimbee » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:55 am

hello..
i'm still having fun in DIY with my lomo objevtiv but i'm considering the Bresser kit for phase contrast as its affordable and that the phase objectives are in RMS 160mm standard that fit my Bresser...

Any review on this product? Have some of you tried this kit ?

Thanks in advance

Chris
microscope Olympus BH2-BHTU+epifluo RFC @ 470 nm
Zeiss neofluar x16Ph, x40Ph, x100 oilPh
LOMO Ph x10 X20 X40 X90oil
Olympus SPFl x2
Olympus SPx20, SPx40 SPx100
camera astro ZWO ASI 120MM (n&b) et ZWO ASI 120 MC (colour)
Nikon D3100

PeteM

Re: should i buy Bresser phase contrast series 57?

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:00 pm

Bresser, like AmScope and many others, puts their brand on generic Chinese scopes. Find a picture of the Bresser 57 model you're considering and you might find reviews of essentially the same microscope, out of the same factory under another brand name.

I have mixed feelings about the $1000 or so Chinese phase contrast microscopes. Someone looking for a $200-$400 bargain might do better with a used American Optical or Reichert phase scope - or maybe Lomo. Someone looking for better quality construction and greater potential for future upgrades, might do better with a used Leitz, Nikon, Olympus, or Zeiss scope in the $500-$1000 range.

One can also sometimes find used AmScope etc. complete phase kits (condenser, objectives, and phase telescope) for less than half their $500-$700 new prices.

But if it's new you want, and a usable phase contrast microscope, then the Chinese scopes under various brand names are the most affordable option - and most affordable if you buy it all at one time. I have tried the AmScope (and Bresser looking) infinity and finite phase scopes and they're OK.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 am

Just to add to the comments above -

You may find that though the generic phase kit works well enough you will be limited by the objectives that come with it.

A used 160 finite quality microscope will allow you to upgrade just about everything in time (and all designed to work well together)

To use Zeiss as an example, they have Phase objectives that go from Achromat, Planachromat, Neofluar and Planapochromat

Their rotary Phase condensers are also quite versatile: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... denser.pdf
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:08 pm

It is a good idea you asked that question. My answer would be , don't. Simply because the package mentions nothing about the objectives being plan. They appear to be achromats only which sets them back in time to the early days of phase contrast and thus they will be no better, and likely worse due to the fact that the Tier 1 Chinese microscope products are notoriously variable in precision. Phase requires very high precision and a dedicated phase condenser in order to perform up to a certain acceptable standard. It would be speculation as to whether that kit would achieve that, when it should be assured. The cost is way to high. Adhere to PeteM and 75RR'S advice . There are better cheaper quality options available and possibly planachro options from another compatible stencil brand.

To drive the point home furrther. Within the past 4 months, I paid 65.00 for a complete 4 objective phase contrast microscope on ebay, including a built in bertrand lens. It too is not plan but it carries objective options for enhanced contrast types, which are unavailable from Bresser for your microscope and I can assure you provides superior imaging to anything available in a Chinese made 160mm system. New is sometimes better but do you think the entry level Chinese microscopes in their hundreds of thousands are being assembled under a cleanroom protocol?

BramHuntingNematodes

#5 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:53 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:08 pm

To drive the point home furrther. Within the past 4 months, I paid 65.00 for a complete 4 objective phase contrast microscope on ebay,..
If one were to search for "Cambridge Phase" on that site now there is the Galen III plan phase set for $150. I have the 40x from that series and it is a really nice lens.

Edit: maybe nevermind as it is described as having unclear lenses
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:49 pm

The Galen III was an earlyish Chinese D.I.N. scope. The objectives show up as Bausch & Lomb, Cambridge , Leica and generic planachros from China. The phase ones I have seen have all been black.

This is probably a new set on right now, badged Leica. The seller doesn't list items out of their packaging as N.O.S. but a lot of it is. These would be a far better objective than the Bresser achromats. I have seen Galen phase condensers on ebay a fair amount. Quite a few of those microscopes were sold. The condenser uses a sleeve mount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Microsco ... SwJmVgZnO9

chrisimbee

#7 Post by chrisimbee » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:39 pm

Thank you very very much guys ; its been very intersting and usefull...

I've just looked at the "Cambridge phase contrast kit" on ebay...and it looks like a lot the LOMO KF-4 condenser I finaly bought on ebay (for 64Eu) in last resort ;) [and i'm now waiting for it to arrive].

I didnt know at the time there was that set on ebay but when I look at the price and the importation fee etc.. it'd be quite expensive for me.

So far I'm going to content myself with the LOMO KF4 wich seems to be quite decent and affordable to me and my microscope-

I'll make a review ;

I've just received by the post a LOMO x10 Ph+ this morning and it works just as well as the other LOMO Ph x20 and x40 I received previously . (and the same way with my homemade annuli).

Thanks a lot for your advices again.

I've already got products from Bresser in astronomy (120/1200 telescope and 90/1350 for my homemade prominence spectroscope) and despite the fact that they are made in China I must say the quality is quite decent considering its price. But yes its quite obvious that with more money available I would have bought a better optical quality brand :)

Still i'm having a great time trying to get the best of my telescopes and microscope ;)
microscope Olympus BH2-BHTU+epifluo RFC @ 470 nm
Zeiss neofluar x16Ph, x40Ph, x100 oilPh
LOMO Ph x10 X20 X40 X90oil
Olympus SPFl x2
Olympus SPx20, SPx40 SPx100
camera astro ZWO ASI 120MM (n&b) et ZWO ASI 120 MC (colour)
Nikon D3100

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:53 am

Cambridge Instruments assumed ownership of the Bausch & Lomb Scientific Instrument Division during the mid 80's. Bausch & Lomb for some time had sold a Galen line of imported microscopes as their second line of scopes, for student and small lab use, initially made by Olympus, then Kyowa, then in China as Galen I, II and III respectively. Cambridge took over while the Chinese Galen III was current, so that Cambridge set on ebay was made in China and has nothing to do with Lomo. That probably new Leica set of objectives I posted a link to are also identical Galen III phase objectives made in China. Cambridge and Wild-Leitz merged, from which the previously non-existent microscope brand Leica emerged and all existing product and future product was branded Leica.

BramHuntingNematodes

#9 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:37 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:53 am
Cambridge Instruments assumed ownership of the Bausch & Lomb Scientific Instrument Division during the mid 80's. Bausch & Lomb for some time had sold a Galen line of imported microscopes as their second line of scopes, for student and small lab use, initially made by Olympus, then Kyowa, then in China as Galen I, II and III respectively. Cambridge took over while the Chinese Galen III was current, so that Cambridge set on ebay was made in China and has nothing to do with Lomo. That probably new Leica set of objectives I posted a link to are also identical Galen III phase objectives made in China. Cambridge and Wild-Leitz merged, from which the previously non-existent microscope brand Leica emerged and all existing product and future product was branded Leica.
I have since bought the 10x and 20x Leica versions of these lenses to put on the old invertoscop and they do all work really well. I guess B&L was trying to save some on design specifications, as I have now found that the same size annular diaphragms work on the old 60s achromats, the Dynazoom/ Balplan-era planachromats and now the Galen iii plan lenses. One difference is that there is a good correspondence between the magnifications of the 60s lenses and Balplan objectives with the 21x diaphragm fitting the Balplan 20x lens, the 43x diaphragm fitting the 45x objective and so on whereas the Galen iii diaphragms are moved over once i.e. the 21x diaphragm fits the 10x objective, the 43x diaphragm fits the 20x objective etc. I can't use a 100x on the invertoscop as I have fitted it with a motic LWD condenser that doesn't have the NA for it-- this may have something to do with the sizing as well. For now I just place the insert versions on top of the condenser and move it around up there while looking through the phase telescope. Takes a little practice and maybe I'll figure something better out eventually but the effect is perfect once aligned. Anyways, very very nice DIN plan phase lenses and relatively affordable. That set you described earlier sold for at the most $110. There are several singles floating around and prices seem flexible probably because despite the Leica branding they are threaded RMS and won't fit on Leica microscopes. If you have any of the older B&L phase condensers they seem to work with them if you can't find a proper Cambridge turret.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination