Is there any difference between binocular and trinocular for image quality?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Josep

Is there any difference between binocular and trinocular for image quality?

#1 Post by Josep » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:11 am

Can I use a binocular with a reflex camera adapter to make the same picture I can do with a trinocular one? I know the diference is the ability to work and take pictures at the same time with a tri, but...image quality will be the same?

Thanks.

apochronaut

Re: Is there any difference between binocular and trinocular for image quality?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:29 pm

One difference if everything is as clean and functional as it should be is that some trinoculars share the photons between the viewing section and the camera section so the image is dimmer in each. Typically it is 20:80 with 20 % going to the eyepieces. Some trinoculars move a prism to send 100% of the light to the pathway you choose and none to the other and some offer an option of either. I have even seen one or two that reverse the proportion of light to each, offering 20:80 or 80:20.

There also is the consideration of the optics involved. With some systems the photo optic used in the trinocular port is better suited to photography than the viewing eyepiece(s), providing a flatter field with better peripheral correction. There is also the opposite situation found with many cheap stencil microscopes where the trinocular lens provides a restricted field with peripheral distortion. The after market photo lenses widely available fall into the latter category.

LouiseScot

Re: Is there any difference between binocular and trinocular for image quality?

#3 Post by LouiseScot » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:51 pm

Josep wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:11 am
Can I use a binocular with a reflex camera adapter to make the same picture I can do with a trinocular one? I know the diference is the ability to work and take pictures at the same time with a tri, but...image quality will be the same?

Thanks.
Hi

I take it you mean a dslr? You might get away with it but they are relatively bulky and heavy. You might not be able to see through the second ocular with a dslr attached in place of the first one. A trinocular is much better for dslr imaging. I have a trinocular with a dslr attached via the trinocular port an adjusted to be parfocal with the eyepiece(s). I run it tethered to a PC with live view to prevent shutter vibrations. At the same time I have a 6Mb mono astro camera attached to the left ocular port via a custom adapter. The astro cam is a 1.25" type so is light and still allows me to see through the rh ocular. In both cases I see the camera views on a computer monitor screen anyway. It all works because my microscope doesn't need any additional compensation. I'm not sure what the camera image quality would be like via the ocular ports if you normally needed compensating eyepieces - Apochronaut will know, I'm sure!

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo