What is this part?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
InstantMochiii

What is this part?

#1 Post by InstantMochiii » Tue May 04, 2021 12:28 pm

So I'm probably being annoying with all these questions, but what is the CPC cap thingy on the T490B?

https://youtu.be/oGHTM8-SfTc?t=473

Is that just a dust cap? Also, how is the light split between the trinocular port and the ocular port? Can you control it?

Edit: I just realized that I've posted 29 posts as of now... and they're all questions- That's just 🖐️😐

Greg Howald

Re: What is this part?

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Wed May 05, 2021 3:14 am

You do not have any light control other than the diaphragm on the condenser or the variable intensity of the illuminator. The 490 is simul-focal. The amount of light comparison between ocular and trinocular ports is fixed. Although you probably will not need it that extra piece is some kind of camera mount adaptor which they didn't bother to define for any of us. My petrographic scope came with a mirror. Nowhere to mount a mirror. No real need for it. It just sits in the spare parts drawer.
Enjoy your scope. It is one of the most popular on the market.
Greg

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Wed May 05, 2021 7:22 am

Greg Howald wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:14 am
Although you probably will not need it that extra piece is some kind of camera mount adaptor which they didn't bother to define for any us.

It looks like a C-mount adapter ... which is not required because the camera is already configured to fit into the eyepiece tubes.
If so, the top screw-thread will be 1” diameter.

MichaelG.
Ref. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_mount
Too many 'projects'

InstantMochiii

#4 Post by InstantMochiii » Wed May 05, 2021 2:42 pm

Thank you for replying everyone! Hehe~

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Fri May 07, 2021 4:00 pm

Soooo. Here's the deal. That part is a c mount adaptor for the photo tube. If you have a usb camera with a 50% reduction lens you can take off the reduction lens and the usb camera will screw into it. This eliminates the reduction lens and still allows the use of the camera.
Otherwise it is used to attach a c mount camera to the photo tube.
Greg