Beginner Looking to Buy First Miscroscope (and Record)

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
MicroFriend

Beginner Looking to Buy First Miscroscope (and Record)

#1 Post by MicroFriend » Sun May 09, 2021 8:29 am

I have never owned my own microscope before, however my fondest memories of my labs in my undergrad was whenever we would drag those bad boys out. I got quite comfortable with using the models they provided (not sure which models exactly) but while I understand the parts of a microscope and how to use one, I admit I know absolutely nothing about specs, so I have no idea where to start in buying my own microscope for at-home use. I would love any assistance or guidance on what I should buy, what I should know, and where I should go for more information, as I am finding the amount of information available to me to be overwhelming currently.

My main concerns:

- I am looking for something that I can use with a mount/adapter so I can record using my phone. I will most likely be uploading to TikTok, which requires a vertical aspect ratio, and I am clueless when it comes to the specs of digital cameras and most digital editing programs. That is why I highly prefer using my phone to record, than use any kind of USB camera that I know some models come with, as I dont know how to change the aspect ratio of a video in post without sacrificing resolution (unless people have some tips for that too?) Video editing software has such a steep learning curve.

- I don't know much about different filters, but they interest me greatly as a potential content creator. Such as Rheinberg Filters and Oblique Illumination and Dark Field Filters. I am curious about these features, so ideally something that would accommodate this? Also, where can I learn more about these features?

- Since I am clueless about specs and terminology, I am unsure what types of objectives offer the best image quality, and what I actually need for a project such as this. I always just had a microscope handed to me, ready to use so I didn't even know there were different types of objectives (Finite objectives? Infinity-corrected objectives? Huh? :?: )

- I have no context for what a reasonable budget would be, since I don't know what I need, so I don't have a budget in mind. But I live in Canada, and would prefer something from amazon.ca with prime shipping, or any option that doesn't break the bank on shipping costs. Whatever the estimated price is of whatever I'll need, I'll save up for, since I have been wanting this for a while, but I don't want to spend more than I HAVE to for my purposes.

This is not meant to be a professional endeavor, it is just something to enjoy on my own, but I still want it to be good quality video.

I probably sound like a total newbie who has no idea what I'm talking about. I understand this type of hobby includes a lot of research to get into, but I don't know where to start. Lemme know if I am being too ambitious here in my expectations, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars just to not be able to figure out how to mount a camera, or how to use the equipment properly.

InstantMochiii

Re: Beginner Looking to Buy First Miscroscope (and Record)

#2 Post by InstantMochiii » Mon May 10, 2021 5:57 pm

MicroFriend wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:29 am
I have never owned my own microscope before, however my fondest memories of my labs in my undergrad was whenever we would drag those bad boys out. I got quite comfortable with using the models they provided (not sure which models exactly) but while I understand the parts of a microscope and how to use one, I admit I know absolutely nothing about specs, so I have no idea where to start in buying my own microscope for at-home use. I would love any assistance or guidance on what I should buy, what I should know, and where I should go for more information, as I am finding the amount of information available to me to be overwhelming currently.

My main concerns:

- I am looking for something that I can use with a mount/adapter so I can record using my phone. I will most likely be uploading to TikTok, which requires a vertical aspect ratio, and I am clueless when it comes to the specs of digital cameras and most digital editing programs. That is why I highly prefer using my phone to record, than use any kind of USB camera that I know some models come with, as I dont know how to change the aspect ratio of a video in post without sacrificing resolution (unless people have some tips for that too?) Video editing software has such a steep learning curve.

- I don't know much about different filters, but they interest me greatly as a potential content creator. Such as Rheinberg Filters and Oblique Illumination and Dark Field Filters. I am curious about these features, so ideally something that would accommodate this? Also, where can I learn more about these features?

- Since I am clueless about specs and terminology, I am unsure what types of objectives offer the best image quality, and what I actually need for a project such as this. I always just had a microscope handed to me, ready to use so I didn't even know there were different types of objectives (Finite objectives? Infinity-corrected objectives? Huh? :?: )

- I have no context for what a reasonable budget would be, since I don't know what I need, so I don't have a budget in mind. But I live in Canada, and would prefer something from amazon.ca with prime shipping, or any option that doesn't break the bank on shipping costs. Whatever the estimated price is of whatever I'll need, I'll save up for, since I have been wanting this for a while, but I don't want to spend more than I HAVE to for my purposes.

This is not meant to be a professional endeavor, it is just something to enjoy on my own, but I still want it to be good quality video.

I probably sound like a total newbie who has no idea what I'm talking about. I understand this type of hobby includes a lot of research to get into, but I don't know where to start. Lemme know if I am being too ambitious here in my expectations, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars just to not be able to figure out how to mount a camera, or how to use the equipment properly.
If you're fine with only recording from your phone/camera, maybe try a monocular one? They are really cheap (<$200). Also, make sure that the stage is mechanical so that it's easier to move around, there's coarse and fine focusing, and that there's a filter holder. Objectives should be DIN standard so you can upgrade. Other than that, the rest is really up to you on the features you want. :)