I need help-

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
InstantMochiii

I need help-

#1 Post by InstantMochiii » Sat May 22, 2021 5:44 pm

Ok, so I ordered my microscope and the slides and coverslips and now I'm confused. I heard I had to clean the coverslips and slides before use even if it's pre-cleaned so I took them all out but then there was this paper thingy in between each of the slides and surrounding the coverslips.

1) How do I clean the coverslips and slides?

2) How do I store them? (They're all blank for now.)

3) Is the (assumed to be wax) paper necessary when storing the slides or are they just there?

4) Are there tiny glass pieces there? I don't know if there are, but the thought of that scares me... If there is glass, is it maybe not wise to keep the wax paper and cut new pieces if needed instead??

Thanks 😁

- Mochiii🔬

Also, in case someone is wondering: No, my microscope hasn't arrived yet and I chose the Amscope B490B-LED. :)

75RR

Re: I need help-

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat May 22, 2021 6:31 pm

Not all slides and cover slips need cleaning out of the box, that is only necessary if they come quite dirty.

If they look clean i.e. not foggy, then you are good to go. Put them back in the box!

If you are going to reuse the slides and or cover slips then see link bellow.

https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... &t=12308&p
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

InstantMochiii

#3 Post by InstantMochiii » Sat May 22, 2021 7:23 pm

75RR wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 6:31 pm
Not all slides and cover slips need cleaning out of the box, that is only necessary if they come quite dirty.

If they look clean i.e. not foggy, then you are good to go. Put them back in the box!

If you are going to reuse the slides and or cover slips then see link bellow.

https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... &t=12308&p
Thank youuuuu! You have no idea how much this helps!

Red_Green

#4 Post by Red_Green » Sun May 23, 2021 3:35 pm

InstantMochiii wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:44 pm
Ok, so I ordered my microscope and the slides and coverslips and now I'm confused. I heard I had to clean the coverslips and slides before use even if it's pre-cleaned so I took them all out but then there was this paper thingy in between each of the slides and surrounding the coverslips.

Like the poster said before, you don't have to clean brand new slides and cover slips.

What I do is after I have used the slides, I may just wipe them off with a kim tech lens tissue and leave them on the microscope stage for the next day. Or if I feel like they could use a good cleaning. I put them in a mason jar filled with alcohol. They just build up in there until one day I have lots and get around to cleaning them. I take them out and clean them with a piece of denim from an old pair of jeans. Then I dip them in windex and wipe them dry on another piece of denim. Then I put them in a separate pack to keep new ones separate from used ones.

If your going to do this, make sure you put cover slips in a much smaller jar of alcohol because it is almost impossible to get them out of a normal sized jar full of alcohol.

I keep a mason jar of alcohol just for slides, a separate one just for cover slips and another for cleaning Canada balsam from my glass rods. A jar of windex and a jar just for broken glass

Keep them in the box. Although I admit I have thought about getting a slide storage box just to keep blank slides in as I find the cardboard boxes start to get weak and flimsy after so long and multiple handling.

3) Is the (assumed to be wax) paper necessary when storing the slides or are they just there?

It is lens tissue paper, it keeps the glass slides from scratching and rubbing together. This tissue is your friend and you want it there. Also if you haven't already, you should pick up a box of kimtech tissues. It is the same type tissue and an absolutely important thing to have.

4) Are there tiny glass pieces there? I don't know if there are, but the thought of that scares me... If there is glass, is it maybe not wise to keep the wax paper and cut new pieces if needed instead??

I've never been cut, slashed, mangled, harmed, bloodied or killed from a box of slides. I mean you could always get a box wit broken slides. Then you should be careful.

Thanks 😁

- Mochiii🔬

Also, in case someone is wondering: No, my microscope hasn't arrived yet and I chose the Amscope B490B-LED. :)
Congrats. Lot's of good times ahead with the 490.

InstantMochiii

#5 Post by InstantMochiii » Sun May 23, 2021 6:09 pm

Red_Green wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:35 pm
InstantMochiii wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:44 pm

Like the poster said before, you don't have to clean brand new slides and cover slips.

What I do is after I have used the slides, I may just wipe them off with a kim tech lens tissue and leave them on the microscope stage for the next day. Or if I feel like they could use a good cleaning. I put them in a mason jar filled with alcohol. They just build up in there until one day I have lots and get around to cleaning them. I take them out and clean them with a piece of denim from an old pair of jeans. Then I dip them in windex and wipe them dry on another piece of denim. Then I put them in a separate pack to keep new ones separate from used ones.

If your going to do this, make sure you put cover slips in a much smaller jar of alcohol because it is almost impossible to get them out of a normal sized jar full of alcohol.

I keep a mason jar of alcohol just for slides, a separate one just for cover slips and another for cleaning Canada balsam from my glass rods. A jar of windex and a jar just for broken glass

Keep them in the box. Although I admit I have thought about getting a slide storage box just to keep blank slides in as I find the cardboard boxes start to get weak and flimsy after so long and multiple handling.

It is lens tissue paper, it keeps the glass slides from scratching and rubbing together. This tissue is your friend and you want it there. Also if you haven't already, you should pick up a box of kimtech tissues. It is the same type tissue and an absolutely important thing to have.

I've never been cut, slashed, mangled, harmed, bloodied or killed from a box of slides. I mean you could always get a box wit broken slides. Then you should be careful.

Thanks 😁

- Mochiii🔬

Congrats. Lot's of good times ahead with the 490.
Thank youuuuu~!

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Mon May 24, 2021 3:16 pm

I glean that you might be worried about cuts while handling coverslips. Flat forceps are useful in handling them, which also can have little plastic covers over the jaws, or even come in plastic versions. Cover slips are very brittle and break easily if gripped too hard or subjected to bending. Fortunately the glass they are made from has a structure somewhere between glass and sugar, so it is difficult to cut yourself on one or a piece of one.
After using them for a while one gets adept at handling them between the thumb and index finger.

Greg Howald

#7 Post by Greg Howald » Mon May 24, 2021 5:07 pm

If you live next door to Amscope it will take 6 days to get your scope. If you live in New York it will arrive in 6 days. It seems Amscope is 6 days from anywhere.
Greg

Jimbo

#8 Post by Jimbo » Mon May 24, 2021 10:00 pm

InstantMochiii,
Congratulations on ordering your scope! The decision process over, time to enjoy the hobby.
Have you collected any water samples yet?

InstantMochiii

#9 Post by InstantMochiii » Tue May 25, 2021 8:28 pm

Jimbo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:00 pm
InstantMochiii,
Congratulations on ordering your scope! The decision process over, time to enjoy the hobby.
Have you collected any water samples yet?
Not yet, but I hope to be able to very soon!