Opinion: You SHOULD buy a 100x oil immersion objective

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
linuxusr

Opinion: You SHOULD buy a 100x oil immersion objective

#1 Post by linuxusr » Thu May 27, 2021 2:02 pm

When I purchased my first scope years ago (see below), I almost never used my 100x objective. The reason was that I was hesitant and fearful! Now, many years later, after a hiatus and after purchasing my second scope (see below), I have vowed to to regularly use my 100x.

For viewing, examining, and identifying discrete objects making up the internal morphology of various protista, it has been wonderful, opening a new world not possible with my 10x and 40x objectives. Given that a specimen now takes up 1/3 to 1/2 of your FOV (field of view), this means that you can sit back, relaxed, and get a comfortable look at various internal features as well as appreciate the beauty of the geometry.

In the alga dinoflaggelate, I was able to identify the species and clearly see the cingulum. In the alga spyrogyra, I could clearly see segmentation, and using one of the triangles as an example (it's a double helix), I could count the same iteration of 4.5 for each segment . . .

I feel that I now have two microscopes. 10x and 40x for live specimens and general identification and 100x for permanent specimens and morphological study as well as the sheer joy of appreciating features and geometry that is beyond the reach of the lower powered objectives. Now, with the 40x, for example, you can see much that I speak of with the 100x, same in kind but different in degree. With the 40x to examine the detail I want, it's like reading with a font that is too small. You can do it but it's not enjoyable or relaxed and you miss some information. The 100x is like reading with a large font where all is presented for your perusal . . .

If you've never had a scope, I would advise buying one with a nosepiece (holds the objectives) that has an extra space. Buy without the 100x and add later. It could be that cheaper scopes do not have extra nosepiece spaces, I'm not sure.
Nikon AlphaPhot 2 < Zeiss Primostar 3, Full Köhler; Axiocam 208 Color < UHD LG
Aller Anfang ist schwer.