Question about a Particular Phase Contrast Microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
anajparsat123123

Question about a Particular Phase Contrast Microscope

#1 Post by anajparsat123123 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:14 am

Hi! I am looking to buy my first microscope and I definitely want it to be a phase contrast microscope because I plan on viewing live cells without staining (I have done a fair bit of research about the various types of microscopes and how they work). My budget for this microscope is pretty low: 500 max but I was mainly look for something around 400. I don't really like the idea of buying a used one or a resale one. I have found a single phase contrast microscope at this price point from amscope called the T400A-30W-PCT (linked below). I am skeptical about it being so cheap because I really couldn't find anything new around this price point. So it would be great if someone could just check it out and make sure there is nothing completely wrong with it (as in something missing or of very bad quality) or point out why it is so much cheaper than other phase contrast microscopes. Also, if you have any other recommendations for what I should do, that would be appreciated as well! Thanks in advance!

https://www.amscope.com/compound-micros ... nal_tabbed

lorez2

Re: Question about a Particular Phase Contrast Microscope

#2 Post by lorez2 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:30 am

If you must have a microscope and your budget is very limited you will have to settle for something like this. It is not the best scope in its class and the phase is certainly not as good as an old Olympus, Nikon, or Bausch & Lomb. If you were able to find comparison photos you would certainly see the difference. If you are in the US I can send some info on a B&L Phase scope.

lorez
Nikon 80i

Dubious

#3 Post by Dubious » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:05 am

That price seems unbeatable. Amscope wants more for the phase contrast kit alone.

https://www.amscope.com/accessories/con ... t-kit.html

anajparsat123123

#4 Post by anajparsat123123 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:24 am

Thanks for both of your replies to my post!

I am just wondering if you would be able to point out what exactly make’s this microscope cheap and/or why its quality would be worse. Also, would a bright field microscope at the same price be better?

(I wasn’t able to find any reviews or pictures of what images on this microscope look like)

I appreciate your help!

-Anaj

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:18 am

Here is its twice-as-expensive twin:
https://www.amscope.com/40x-2000x-trino ... scope.html

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:23 pm

I think the reason it is cheap is that it is an older design, 160mm , halogen illumination, not plan. After making thousands of them, the factory that makes them is probably just liquidating their inventory, if they still have any and concentrating on sexier looking designs. That's where it is at with net microscopes.

With a limited budget, you really cannot go wrong with that. Most, near to that price range, use a single in single out phase diaphragm condenser and this one has a rotary diaphragm. Trinocular too.

One drawback is the 30 watt halogen under the stage. Although there is a heat sink around the field lens, there will be heat, so if you are looking at live cells, either some form of small fan might be useful or since it is so similar to others with 3 watt led, you could probably retrofit it to cooler led illumination. Maybe Amscope could assist in that! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Haaah.
Years ago, I talked to a Chinese microscope broker in China, about a retrofit of one of their scopes to a 100 watt halogen rear entry remote illuminator. He frankly admitted that their halogen bulbs were short on lumens and long on heat, so the most he would commit to was 50 watts. I don't know where they are at with that but a swap to a European or North American bulb might solve some of the heat problems.
The B & L phase scope that Lorez has by the way, will be a better scope by quite a margin, with flat field or plan optics, very finely engineered precise mechanics, and the 20 watt halogen bulb is rear entry and well collimated for excellent phase !illumination, so would be much cooler light to the stage.

anajparsat123123

#7 Post by anajparsat123123 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:16 am

Thanks! That help out a lot. Also, Lorez2, I'd definitely like more information about the B&L microscope.

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:15 am

I'd second the idea that a B&L Balplan phase scope would be superior if anywhere near your budget.

We've had a couple of those cheap phase sets pass through. While usable, the rotary phase condenser is very cheaply made and the annuli are easily knocked out of alignment. The objectives are of modest quality, the focusing not all that precise, and so on.

BramHuntingNematodes

#9 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:18 am

I have still only found one of the Balplan planachromat phase lenses that wasn't for sale by I miller for two hundred. It is certainly a very fine lens and if lorez can furnish a set you would grow to treasure them I am sure.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Greg Howald

#10 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:10 am

NOT REAL!!!-! The Amscope t400a-30w-pct phase contrast microscope does not exist! It is a fluke on the website. I know this from having ordered one! The money was credited back to me today.
The price of 401.00 dollars is the same price of the same scope without pct. Save yourself quite a headache. Ordering is easy. Talking to someone about it is next to impossible and customer support if off site so those folks don't know much. What a run around it can be.
Greg

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:40 am

Another Scamscope first.

lorez2

#12 Post by lorez2 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:08 am

Just a note regarding the B&L scope I mentioned. It was not a BalPLan, but a Galen 2 which was a collegiate, veterinarian model. Sadly, the day after I posted its availability a veterinarian grabbed it for semen testing.

lorez
Nikon 80i

apochronaut

#13 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Well. The Galen would have been o.k. too. I have a couple of AO, if you are interested in those.