Total noob with an Olympus CH2/CHS

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
jg1647

Total noob with an Olympus CH2/CHS

#1 Post by jg1647 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:29 pm

It came with no filter, and has a halogen light. Should I buy filters? What colours? I was thinking blue because I think they came with a blue one from the factory but mine is a used scope. It appears in pretty good shape, haven’t tested the 100x oil yet because I’m waiting on the oil to arrive. Should I buy the filters sized for the filter holder, or one that just sits on the bottom light thing (the thing that light comes from before it goes through the condenser? Sorry I’m not sitting in front of it right now, and haven’t even checked to see if a filter holder is installed)? I’m not planning on upgrading to LED, I feel like the halogen is great and comfortable to look at, though the rheostat is a little rough in the area just before maximum brightness - it actually cuts out sometimes between about 80-90% and feels a little crusty in that area. I’ve never attempted servicing a rheostat, is it possible? Maybe desolder it and wash it in ipa?

Should I buy concave slides for looking at pond water? Or are standard slides ok? Do you re-use slides and just clean them with ipa? Or always discard and start with a fresh one? Are the extra wide field eyepieces worth getting? These ones seem nice, but I’m definitely still getting used to looking through the binoculars. My eyes adjust easily now, unlike the first day I bought it I had double vision - I can’t remember the term but I read about it on Wikipedia. Any tips for comfortable viewing and posture? I find it a little difficult to get that right, maybe I need a better chair and to elevate the scope.

Should I get a secondary light, like one of those flexible light things that you just shine directly on the slide? It has ample light but I’m really thinking of ways to play with different things to see something in different ways.

How do I do darkfield, do I just need to buy the little black darkfield plate thing and that’s all?

The scope’s chassis is looking really beige, is that normal? Are they white when they’re new? I was thinking of doing a paint job on it lol (don’t worry I know what I’m doing in that regard)

What are some things to look at? I don’t have any pre-made slides, but I’ve looked at some coconut milk, some wet soil, and some earwax (the first of many personal sample donations to the scope) the earwax was pretty cool, I could see the bacteria at 400x very well, and when focussed properly I could even see their shadows! Also I think I found a dust mite (not moving) photo attached, taken with my phone, and pretty heavily cropped.

I plan to get some samples from the lake at some point, it’s pretty green and not polluted so should be nice. Any tips for that? Should I get a whole jar or just a sample cup? How long will it last/stay alive? Can I feed it something to keep it for longer?

I have all the standard (E type I think) objectives, I think 10/20/40/100. Is it worthwhile getting a 60x? I’d consider a used plan/apo if I can get a good deal on one?

What is a good way to learn about microbiology and identification? I’m looking into some basic stains but don’t have any yet. I’m looking at safranin, iodine, crystal violet, and methylene. Are there any others I should look in to?

When would you seal a slide? Do you only do that with solid specimens? Would you look at the quality first then seal it? I heard clear nail polish is the way to go?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions, I haven’t had a lot of time outside of work to figure these things out so any help will definitely be doing me a solid!
Attachments
5D1C54D9-DD9D-4CF9-8BE6-CAF2D5D59EEA.jpeg
5D1C54D9-DD9D-4CF9-8BE6-CAF2D5D59EEA.jpeg (243.63 KiB) Viewed 2097 times

Dubious

Re: Total noob with an Olympus CH2/CHS

#2 Post by Dubious » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:58 pm

I would get a blue or light blue filter to place at the bottom, so as not to take up the filter holder in the condenser, reserving the filter holder there for dark field filters. A blue filter is useful for halogen light, especially when you turn down the light and it becomes more yellow--you'll have to decide whether you like the effect. I would not bother with other filters for now, although I believe some microscope companies do sell them in inexpensive sets.

You can buy a set of dark field and oblique filters on Ebay (make sure they are the right size for the filter holder). That's all you need to do darkfield, and it is worth trying.

I would not buy a 60x objective yet, as I don't think it adds much to 40x.

Flat slides are all you need for observing microbes in water drops. In fact, the way the cover slip flattens the water drop even more is useful in reducing the depth of the water and keeping things in focus. Slides with dimples would make the focus problem worse, I would think, although others may disagree.

Under "some interesting links" in the forum index, choose "microscopy shop" for Microbehunter's links to useful accessories and books on Amazon. Microbehunter's youtube videos also cover some of these topics and provide useful advice.

Phill Brown

#3 Post by Phill Brown » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:19 pm

Good luck with experimenting with unknowns.
Contact/switch cleaning solvent is a product. Do not use on live electrics. Allow to dry before switching on. Always useful to have a can anyway.
For cleaning grubby paint, vinyl, even it's intended leather all sorts. I can only say I resort to Kiwi quick dry foam for suede nubuck with an old toothbrush or just cotton wool balls.
It has removed grime and stains from paint where IPA,meths, saliva,white spirit,acetone and xylene failed.

jg1647

#4 Post by jg1647 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:01 pm

Interesting, good advice on the larger filter at the bottom and the DF plat for the filter holder! It’s definitely pretty yellow sometimes and I would like the option to cool the hue a bit.

I’ll look into the switch cleaning solvent, but once I open it up I might find that it’s a readily available part to replace anyway. I know there are 3 different lighting systems in the CH2 sub-models so I’m not sure what type of rheostat is in there. Thanks for the tip!

The kiwi stuff looks interesting, especially considering it’s my national bird lol

Phill Brown

#5 Post by Phill Brown » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:37 pm

All good fun. For discoloured plastic to original colour.
There's the hydrogen peroxide 40. (12%) creme. Brush on, seal in a zip lock bag, place in sunlight for a few hours.
Can use cling film for things too big to fit in a bag, main thing so it doesn't dry on.
As with all these things, eye protection. Gloves maybe, knowing what it smells or tastes like is careless.