super glue again

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
jicajim

super glue again

#1 Post by jicajim » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:34 am

I know that the use of super glue as a mountant was given a bit of a thumbs down, but I find that for some larger things that I want to view with my digital USB microscope, the use of super glue works. I do not use the glue on the item itself but merely as a fixing agent for two slides. I place the item to be viewed at the centre of a slide, then add the smallest possible drop of glue at each corner of the slide and then use a second slide as a cover slip. The glue doesn’t reach the item. A little pressure is used for a few seconds whilst the glue sets.
The glue bonds the two slides together leaving a clear dry mount.
It would be good if someone else had a go to see how they got on and what their thoughts might be regarding super glue for dry mounting. Obviously all necessary precautions should be observed when using super glue.
jicajim

smollerthings

Re: super glue again

#2 Post by smollerthings » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:50 am

I used it for a couple of slides. What I find annoying is the super glue fumes stain fingerprints. It is actually used for that purpose:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/msp5018/blo ... uming.html

But other than that I found it to work pretty well. Obviously, the super glue work needs to be done far away from anything valuable... And let it dry before putting it under a microscope because I am sure the fumes would not be beneficial to the optics.

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: super glue again

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:39 pm

That seems like a decent way to flatten the subject. There are compound microscope lenses designed to correct for a coverslip the thickness of a slide as well.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination