Anyone else is sick of closing and straining their other eye while looking into the microscope?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.

Chas

Re: Anyone else is sick of closing and straining their other eye while looking into the microscope?

#2 Post by Chas » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:01 pm

smollerthings; Have you tried putting a piece of card / paper/ other fine-grained white material over the mirror ... you will get a much less harsh light into your eye.
you need Illuminate the card with a some kind of mini table light ...Ikea used to do one.. you move the light closer or further to get a brightness that you are comfortable with.
If you do this you might not need your special modification and you could then use it to 'sleep with one eye open' ;-)

smollerthings

Re: Anyone else is sick of closing and straining their other eye while looking into the microscope?

#3 Post by smollerthings » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:26 pm

Oh no, my pirate setup is because I have a monocular and not a binocular, hence the need to keep one eye closed.

Peter

#4 Post by Peter » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:57 pm

Hi smollerthings,
The correct method of viewing with a monocular microscope is to keep both eyes open. Some people draw what they see through the microscope with one eye while viewing their drawing with the other.
Peter.

BramHuntingNematodes

#5 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Pictured here inexplicably attached to my triocular Dynazoom is a microscope "blind". It is a rigid piece of black material affixed to the eyepiece. It can be put immediately in front of the unused eye to minimize distraction, or lifted as pictured here.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

BramHuntingNematodes

#6 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:10 pm

The one pictured, BTW, was made with wire, card and gaffer's tape.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

smollerthings

#7 Post by smollerthings » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:25 pm

Peter wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:57 pm
Hi smollerthings,
The correct method of viewing with a monocular microscope is to keep both eyes open. Some people draw what they see through the microscope with one eye while viewing their drawing with the other.
Peter.
Oh thanks, I didn't know that, I was closing one eye, which is really tiring after a while. :roll:

smollerthings

#8 Post by smollerthings » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:25 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:10 pm
The one pictured, BTW, was made with wire, card and gaffer's tape.
I am gonna make one of those!

apochronaut

#9 Post by apochronaut » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:29 pm

If you look at some older texts ; The Microscope and How to Use it by Georg Stehli is one but also others....I think I have that one right but I haven't seen that book for years ; there is mention of developing the ability with practice, of ignoring the information coming into the unused eye. My first 25 or so years were spent using a monocular microscope and while working in a room with lower light I can attest to the fact that that is possible. It is a skill that with practice can be attained but it takes a while. I think I was about a year before I could do it. Placing a dark cloth under the unused eye on the bench helps to reduce the information load. In a bright room I always found it difficult. It is somewhat the same principal as using a one eyed mask.
Spencer's first binocular microscopes , offered after the first w.w. had blinders you could optionally close off one eyetube with and one model of head could even be shifted sideways so a monocular tube resulted through a binocular head. There was a lot of resistance to the use of early binocular heads by established microscopists and for institutional settings, where communal microscopes were used those options were offered. The blinders show that not every old microscopist had the one eye skill though, also offering an easy out for students who wanted to be old school.

MicroBob

#10 Post by MicroBob » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:55 pm

Most people have one leading eye, this should be used for monocular observation. It would be much more difficult to observe with the wrong eye.

Greg Howald

#11 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:21 pm

I only have one monocular. All the rest are binocular. When I use one eye I wear an eye patch. Low cost. No practice.
Greg

apochronaut

#12 Post by apochronaut » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:25 pm

I think the idea is that you practice while using the microscope. Probably the learning curve is shorter and easier for students.

smollerthings

#13 Post by smollerthings » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:20 am

Very interesting everyone. I will try to keep both eyes open. I tried last night and it is quite distracting so I took an old pair of glasses and scotch taped one eye. Works well, we will see.

carlh6902

#14 Post by carlh6902 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:34 am

You should train yourself to look into a monocular microscope, using your dominant eye, while keeping the other eye OPEN. Much less eye strain.

Carl
--- If you're in the Kansas City area and you need help with an Olympus BH-2 scope, PM me. I love to work on these things ---