Leica Reichert Polyvar 2 vs Polyvar SC

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
mtesfayson@gmail.com

Leica Reichert Polyvar 2 vs Polyvar SC

#1 Post by mtesfayson@gmail.com » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:34 am

I have the opportunity to get a free Leica Reichert Polyvar 2 from a Biological lab near me. The problem is that I know nothing about microscopes and my interests have to do more with electronics rather than biological sciences. However, I am very interested in dissecting semi-conductors and analyzing them under a microscope. I have been doing research and found that there were different variations of this microscope namely the Polyvar SC and Polyvar MET. The SC variety apparently was meant for semi-conductors. Unfortunately, that is not what I have. My question is, what major differences are there between the Polyvar 2 and Polyvar SC? What modifications if any can I make to get the Polyvar 2 to be suitable for semi-conductors? I know it has different features, notably for me, the DIC feature as I can analyze different layers of semi-conductors if I am not mistaken.
Oh well, it is very clean I am a complete noob, if there are specific preliminary things I need to understand about microscopes in order to enjoy this microscope, please let me know. I can't wait to start this journey :)

microb

Re: Leica Reichert Polyvar 2 vs Polyvar SC

#2 Post by microb » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:50 am

I'd be curious too.

It looks like the same cast frame parts. These are ebay listings that I'm referencing. The Met is missing the transmission axis, so the Polyvar 2 has more optics across the bottom in the base. Cool project:
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (116.93 KiB) Viewed 7389 times
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg (132.56 KiB) Viewed 7389 times

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:30 pm

The basic stand is the same and the optics in the viewing section are likely very similar depending on their relatives ages but beyond that there are major differences. The Met and Epi Polyvar objectives are 27mm and the cover slip corrected transmitted light objectives are R.M.S., so there are different but interchangeable nosepieces. There is no illuminator housing for the SC. If there is a vertical illuminator for the 2, it still needs a beamsplitting module above the nosepiece to be used in either diascopic or episcopic mode. The 2 has a whole bunch of transmitted illumination optics in the base but are they all there? There is no universal condenser. Some eyepieces are missing and possibly other internal optics. There are probably no power supplies. At the current cost of Poly replacement parts and objectives, it would cost a lot to bring either of those to functionality but they would be great microscopes, if.

mtesfayson@gmail.com

#4 Post by mtesfayson@gmail.com » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:26 pm

I am not interested in the transmitted light optics part. I only need to use the reflected light part of it. It comes with two film cameras on the side and an additional Polaroid on the top, with another circular vintage digital camera on the side. I am planning to get rid of the Polaroid and maybe the top part that holds the film cameras as well. I only need one camera on it. The parts that I do not understand are the reflected light optics as I know it has fluorescent capabilities, but I'm not sure how to deal with that. On the turret adjustment, it seems to have a cube for reflected light (This is an assumption I am making as the setting is for no filters in the light path, I might be mistaken). You also said there are differences in the objective lenses? Would these differences have an effect on analyzing semi-conductors using the Polyvar 2? I would also like to convert the lamp in the rear to LED.

PS: It comes with everything including all power supplies and other accessories.

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:58 pm

You would probably do better to sell this unit and buy a metallurgical version with epi DIC. Simpler and cheaper than trying to mod it, and you'll make someone else happy too--most hobbyists are after transmitted light after all.

mtesfayson@gmail.com

#6 Post by mtesfayson@gmail.com » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:25 pm

Perhaps someone in here would be interested in purchasing it?

microb

#7 Post by microb » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:18 am

What is the SC versus the MET? I've seen METs, almost exclusively here in California. I found mention of one SC here: https://caeonline.com/buy/microscopes/l ... -sc/161662

Is it more motorized?

MWK

#8 Post by MWK » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:07 pm

Does it come with the Polarizer Cube and Nomarski Prism? What about any Epi objectives? If you have those, you should be good to go. The parts on the Polyvar are pretty modular/interchangeable, there's not huge differences between the two you mention, but I don't have the 2 to verify, I have the Polyvar MET and had the Ultrastar (both identical pretty much). I also have some spare parts, if you need anything, just DM me and I may have it.

MWK

#9 Post by MWK » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:12 pm

Photos of the unit would help. The big difference was that the SC was solely made for semi-conductors, I believe it didn't' support transmitted light. The Polyvar 2 will allow you to work with semi-conductors, you'll just need the right parts (if not already included) to get it to work.

mtesfayson@gmail.com

#10 Post by mtesfayson@gmail.com » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:45 am

It is still at the lab. I will take pictures when I go there on Wednesday. As I said I am no expert in microscopes, but one question I have is, how many light sources does this microscope have? I know there is one at the back and since this supports fluorescence microscopy, I was wondering if the light at the back is a UV light and if I should change it to LED to use it with semi-conductors? That is if I decide to keep it.

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:37 pm

Re- lamping with led isn't as easy as it sounds. The electronics are fairly straightforward but getting the led to focus properly and to provide the same quality and intensity of illumination through a collimating and condensing system that was designed for 100 watt halogen can take some design effort.
You might check out some successfull refits to get some guidance but be sure to be looking for those that successfully duplicate 100 watt halogen performance.
Those are long microscopes with some intensity loss through the system. A weak led retrofit designed to duplicate a 20 or 30 watt halogen output would be pretty poor. I would think you would be looking at somewhere around 30 or 40 watts of actual led .

Gatorengineer64

#12 Post by Gatorengineer64 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:33 pm

You can relamp with a 10 watt LED for around $60 at 5000k light, for the lamp, housing heatsink. You need to control it and that's about $50... I have a nice 3 watt rig going now, and will be doing a 5 and 10 shortly.

The issue with that scope is the odd sized EPs, they cost a ton if you don't already have them, and frankly that is way to heavy to ship economically. I would think about one of the $1500 Zeiss universals on Ebay with DIC......

apochronaut

#13 Post by apochronaut » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:00 pm

A 10 watt led would be useless on one of those . 10 watts isn't even enough to light up an AO 20 to achieve spec and it's filament to object distance is considerably shorter than those Polys. A certain amount of episcopic microscopy uses DF, with an attendant typical loss of light. In DF mode, with a rear mounted illuminator, a 100 watt halogen or equivalent is necessary.

mtesfayson@gmail.com

#14 Post by mtesfayson@gmail.com » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:55 pm

@Gatorengineer64 What do you mean by odd-sized EPs? Are you referring to the objectives? Sorry I am not familiar with what EPs are.

apochronaut

#15 Post by apochronaut » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:22 pm

Might be EyePieces. The bores on those are a standard 30mm but as with most microscopes you still must use native eyepieces in order to install the slight compensation required to match the objectives. They existed in various cosmetic forms over the years, some with chromed insert sections and some black. Unfortunately any I have seen were unbranded. They are marked WPK 10X or 16X. 99% of them are 10X.They have built in diopters and a locking pin, so the diopter can be turned without turning the eyepiece.
The field # is 24 but that is not marked on them.

Scarodactyl

#16 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Gatorengineer means objectives. Terminal telescopy syndrome.

Gatorengineer64

#17 Post by Gatorengineer64 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:18 pm

Still have head firmly in rear, yes objectives.........

mtesfayson@gmail.com

#18 Post by mtesfayson@gmail.com » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:17 am

These are actual photos I took today. It has 10x, 40x and 100x objectives.

mtesfayson@gmail.com

#19 Post by mtesfayson@gmail.com » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:25 am

I have decided that I want to sell it and I'm willing to let it go for a really cheap price. I am not sure what would be considered cheap for this microscope, but as long as you deal with the shipping, I will let it go for like 2.5k

MWK

#20 Post by MWK » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:56 am

Your photos aren't loading for me. Feel like uploading them again?

MWK

#21 Post by MWK » Tue May 17, 2022 3:19 pm

I may be interested. Can you post photos?