Suppliers

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
peterpa

Suppliers

#1 Post by peterpa » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:48 pm

I'm awaiting delivery of my first real microscope and want to get essential accessories like slides, pipettes, immersion oil. I'm sure the question has been answered but I can't find where, so: what supply sources are recommende?

dtsh

Re: Suppliers

#2 Post by dtsh » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:02 pm

You can get standard comoddity slides, coverslips, etc from the usual online retailers with the usual caveats of you get what you pay for and sometimes that's just a name. That said, when you need the extra performance more accurately ground slides and coverslips may be desired. Cargille seems to be the defacto manufacturer of immersion oil, a small bottle goes a long ways.

Mountant and chemical availability seems to vary by location as some are restricted, but thus far I haven't had much trouble locating the materials I have needed. I would suggest slides, coverslips, and a pipette/dropper to start with and acquire other items as needed.

Even when the budget for materials is nearly zero, there's usually a way to use the instrument for those creative enough to seek out alternatives.

Dubious

Re: Suppliers

#3 Post by Dubious » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:52 pm

In this site's "shop" you can find links to microscopy supplies on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/shop/microbehunter