Help with Leica DMLB

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
zzffnn

Re: Help with Leica DMLB

#31 Post by zzffnn » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:28 pm

Since you are in UK, why not contact Alan Wood and see if his microscopy club members have an extra scope to sell you?

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... =3&t=43315

http://www.alanwood.net/olympus/microscopes.html

moletteuk

#32 Post by moletteuk » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:50 pm

I contacted the seller about the return this morning, haven't heard back yet, I definitely won't be paying for postage, thanks for checking I knew that though. Thanks also for the links, I've definitely learned this weekend that I would only want to buy second hand from a reliable person!

viktor j nilsson

#33 Post by viktor j nilsson » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:56 pm

I honestly still feel that this was a good bet to take The seller may even tell you to keep it, and give you your money back. And if he were to offer 50% back, I would take it and resell the parts that are good and make some money, or keep the objectives for a future scope. Most second hand scopes don't come with such fine objectives. And those that do often cost a whole lot more.

Of course the best scenario would have been if the scope would have showed up in working order.

moletteuk

#34 Post by moletteuk » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:11 pm

Finally got sorted out with the seller - I got to keep the microscope and got around two thirds of my money back, so I'm happy enough paying that for the objectives.

I'll see if I can fix the eyepiece and then decide what to do.

viktor j nilsson

#35 Post by viktor j nilsson » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:27 pm

£300 for a brilliant set of objectives, and a decent chance of saving at least parts of that microscop? That is a really good deal.

75RR

#36 Post by 75RR » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:36 pm

Glad that turned out alright.

So bent eyetube, broken latch on lamp housing and a new (to you) stage ... does that cover it?

Just to confirm, the stripped thread was on the stage not the stage holder ... right?
Last edited by 75RR on Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

viktor j nilsson

#37 Post by viktor j nilsson » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:39 pm

Stuck diopter adjustment mechanism too, correct?

moletteuk

#38 Post by moletteuk » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:57 pm

Yes, I'm pleased, it's been a bit stressful but I can't really lose financially now and I should end up with a scope I couldn't otherwise afford.

Dented eye tube - but I'm fairly confident I can fix it, I have a ring mandrel that goes up to 28mm, so I should be able to make a copper sleeve to extend the diameter and hopefully it will then push or tap out on that.

The interpupillary adjustment is moving in the range that I need it to but it's very stiff and won't open out fully.

Both tabs are there on the lamp housing, I think the bottom one is bent or something as the top one isn't engaging properly, I haven't had a proper look at that yet as it seems to sit in place OK.

Right hand focus wheel has bit's of mechanised focus attached still that will leave a hole if I take them off.

Unfortunately, it's the stage support on the stand that is all chewed up by the grub screw, see photo below.

Stage is a wreck.

75RR

#39 Post by 75RR » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:03 pm

The damaged stage holder is unfortunate (you will have to see how often they come up for sale)

- just wondering aloud here ... is there a better Leica stand that one could put those nice objectives on?

moletteuk

#40 Post by moletteuk » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:06 pm

Yes, that's my next question:
What Leica model stages and stage holders would fit?

and what stand would fit my objectives/ turret/ head?

75RR

#41 Post by 75RR » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:57 am

Could not find the manual for this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265373678498?h ... SwsRhhEn-r so don't know if your head will fit.

Did find a brochure though - does look interesting: https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blog.uta. ... ochure.pdf

Note: It is missing the slide holder

moletteuk

#42 Post by moletteuk » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:08 pm

That looks interesting 75RR.

Does anyone know how interchangeable the parts are with a DMLS?

I've managed to repair the eye tube, it came out quite well. We've also managed to secure the stage, better than it was anyway, and my partner realised that there are knobs that turn manually to move the motorised stage, so I can move the specimen without jogging the stage so much. The slides are still resting on slides at the sides, but I sort of have a working microscope, so I can look for a better stand in a more leisurely way now.

75RR

#43 Post by 75RR » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:18 pm

Further information on the DM LB here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2090/ ... 1601389798