Maintenance of an old microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Luboss

Maintenance of an old microscope

#1 Post by Luboss » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:50 am

I bought a microscope Olympus BHC, in very good condition, (trinocular head, 5 original objectives 4x, 10x, PL 40x, 60x, 100x), but it was not used for 10 -15 years. It is very difficult to adjust the distance between the eyepieces and a little harder to move the condenser. What lubricant/ grease I use on these parts? And how can I clean up the remnants of old grease? Thanks for advice.

deBult

Re: Maintenance of an old microscope

#2 Post by deBult » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:55 am

There is a full set of Olympus BH2 maintenance guides and video's drafted by forum member Carl Hunsiger on the Allan Wood website.

The BHC is an older version, several parts are similar to the BH2.

You REALLY need a Japanese JIS screwdriver set, you will ruin the screw-heads using a normal Philips driver.

http://alanwood.net/olympus/downloads.h ... cellaneous

viktor j nilsson

#3 Post by viktor j nilsson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:08 pm

deBult wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:55 am

You REALLY need a Japanese JIS screwdriver set, you will ruin the screw-heads using a normal Philips driver.
I've read this statement over and over again, but then I've also returned to this article a couple of times over several years:
https://www.webbikeworld.com/hozan-jis- ... rs-review/

Here's the tl;dr version:
We have been looking for real live genuine JIS screwdrivers or JIS bits for some time. You’d think that would be easy, right?

Sure, there are several manufacturers and retailers who claim to sell JIS screwdrivers (or bits). We bought some and in our opinion, they are not JIS. In fact, we have not found a true JIS screwdriver for sale anywhere.

Yes — there are several retailers who say they’re selling JIS screwdrivers. Maybe they don’t know the difference.

When these supposed JIS screwdrivers arrived, we noticed something right away. What the heck is the difference between JIS and Phillips again?

We couldn’t identify any difference between the JIS and standard Phillips screwdrivers with the modern grind. Of course, there is a big difference still between cheap pressed steel screwdrivers and those with properly ground or machined heads.

This Hozan JIS 4 Screwdriver Set for $21.89 is one of the only screwdriver sets still advertised as JIS. They looked like just the thing.
[...]

But…the problem is, once we started comparing them to other Phillips and (claimed) JIS screwdrivers and bits, we couldn’t see a difference.
So... I have to say I'm not convinced that a "JIS" set is really needed. But you should of course always make sure you use a flat-edged screwdriver that fits the screws well. I've used Philips bits on my Vanox AH without ruining any screwheads.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:24 pm

I stripped quite a few nikon screws before getting a jis set. I rarely do now, though Nikon seems to buy the softest, butteriest screws they can find so it's still possible.

deBult

#5 Post by deBult » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:20 pm

Well,

Only limited experience here, overhauled / repaired 1 BH, 4 BH2, 2 CH2, 1 type E, and 2 HSC.

Struggled with my first E type and the BH, when I started using 2 different brands of JIS screwdrivers the number of “stripped” screw-heads reduced substantially. Fortunately I have 2 damaged BH2 as source of parts including some uncommon sized screw-threads.

Not stating price equals quality, but both sets were priced substantially different compared to the set quoted in the article?

Naturally I learned a lot doing them, so probably the experience contributed to damage reduction as well.

Note 1: according to the original Olympus repair manuals some of the screws are “glued”/“secured” with different types of thread lock (even within the same scope) using a solder-iron to heat and unlock those helps. Locked screws really require a fitting screw head.

Note 2: I do not have a recent Vessel brand set, they state their “philips” type will match both JIS and Philips.

YMMV as always

viktor j nilsson

#6 Post by viktor j nilsson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:49 pm

That's a lot more experience than me! But I'm still not entirely convinced that the sets currently advertised as JIS are truly JIS. Did you check the comparisons in the link I posted? I have a JIS set branded Sealey, they are a bit big for most microscope screws, but for the screws that they fit, I don't think they fit significantly better than the best-fitting regular Phillips bits that I have tried.

But I'm open to trying a proper set, which ones have you guys gotten?

viktor j nilsson

#7 Post by viktor j nilsson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:51 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:24 pm
I stripped quite a few nikon screws before getting a jis set. I rarely do now, though Nikon seems to buy the softest, butteriest screws they can find so it's still possible.
Ah yes, I've stripped a couple of Nikon screws on the optiphot epi DIC nosepiece that were sealed with adhesive. Those were definitely soft!

deBult

#8 Post by deBult » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:58 pm

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:49 pm
Did you check the comparisons in the link I posted?
Yup: see my previous statemen on set pricing
viktor j nilsson wrote:
The set I have within reach are decent quality only, US made by “Moody” a devision of Central Tools.
The other set is in storage, if I remember correctly I got them on a vintage photo camera fair in Europe from a Micro-Tools booth (was very happy to finally find some and they were similarly priced as the Leitz scope I got at the same fair :roll: )

Personally would aim for a Vessel set when buying new (from reputation only, no personal experience)

viktor j nilsson

#9 Post by viktor j nilsson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:36 pm

deBult wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:58 pm
viktor j nilsson wrote:
Did you check the comparisons in the link I posted?
Yup: see my previous statemen on set pricing
viktor j nilsson wrote:
The set I have within reach are decent quality only, US made by “Moody” a devision of Central Tools.
The other set is in storage, if I remember correctly I got them on a vintage photo camera fair in Europe from a Micro-Tools booth (was very happy to finally find some and they were similarly priced as the Leitz scope I got at the same fair :roll: )

Personally would aim for a Vessel set when buying new (from reputation only, no personal experience)
Thanks! I may pick up a Vessel set, they look good.

MicroBob

#10 Post by MicroBob » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:46 pm

In my experience screw heads and screw drivers have varying tolerances, probably higher in smaller sizes. So one schould check by oneself whether the screw driver actually fits well. In some cases it helps to grind back the tip a little to get a better fit where it counts, where the momentum is transmitted. If screws are stubborn it helps to give the back of the screw driver a few hits with a small hammer to loosen the thread up.