How do you keep your work place ordered?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
smollerthings

How do you keep your work place ordered?

#1 Post by smollerthings » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi all,

My desk is a mess of filters and microscope stuff. :D How do you keep it orderly. Especially for the filters, do you put them in a box? How do you store them safely?

dtsh

Re: How do you keep your work place ordered?

#2 Post by dtsh » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:36 pm

My workspace is a 6' bench which serves as my home office (IT), microscopy, and all of the other tasks that pop up (the odd electronics fixes, bug counting/sorting, misc repairs and tinkering, etc). I have 3 microscopes which remain on the bench, a Leica Microstar IV, an American Optical series 10, and an American Optical Cycloptic; so that accounts for half the bench. My workstation accounts for about 1/3 of the surface area, leaving the remaining space for whatever needs to be worked on. My workstation is a laptop so if I don't need it for the task, I can close it and place it against the wall to gain more working area.

For me, the biggest win is my shelving. Nearly the entire wall where my workbench sits is occupied by shelving upon which I store most of the frequently accessed small items my various hobbies use; often in clear plastic tubs that fit nicely on the shelves, each tub dedicated to particular tasks. I have larger tubs that fit under the bench that hold heavier parts which won't fit on a shelf. That said, the shelving is well secured to the wall with an inordinate amount of screws which are sunk into the framing in the wall. Space is at a premium for me as it all fits into a 3mx3.25m (10'x11') room which serves as office, bedroom, and project area combined.

All that said, it's important to put things away when they are no longer being used. Small, delicate items that would benefit from a case but don't have one often end up in pill bottles or in 3D printed cases designed for them. Filters I place into small stackable round plastic containers, using tissue between individual elements. As for keeping track, I have a sheet of paper in each tub with an inventory of what's in it to help reduce digging around for item X. It's not exactly ordered and neat, but it works for me.

Leitzcycler

#3 Post by Leitzcycler » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:10 pm

For a creative and multi-talented person it might be difficult if not impossible. So let me put it this way: Why should it be ordered? :) All kinds of stuff around brings inspiration.

smollerthings

#4 Post by smollerthings » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:36 pm

@dtsh
Yes... I need shelving too. Or an under the desk IKEA drawer. But I need to compartmentalize it into smaller units so the filters are not crushed.

@Leitzcycler
Leitzcycler wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:10 pm
For a creative and multi-talented person it might be difficult if not impossible.
That must be the reason it is messy around here. I choose to believe it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DonSchaeffer

#5 Post by DonSchaeffer » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:49 pm

I always do the same things. The routine is what keeps things in order. I always reach for things in the same spot. I guess the only necessity is to make sure my tools, slides and cover glasses are always cleaned after each session and put back in the same place.

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:56 am

I have two tables, a classic desk with drawers and the big Phomi 1 on top and a rectangular desk with cut corner and cabinets below so I can sit on the sides , the other sides are walls. When I turn around on my desk chair I can work either on the Phomi or on the stereo microscope on the short, cut edge of the other desk. I use the long side of the other desk for preparation and when I need a little more space.

What I find useful are trays and casseroles to be able to temporary store complete setups in the cabinets to free up desk space and protect from dust and light. They also protect the desk surface from stains. These are often available for free when people sort through their stuff and give away what is not needed.

Greg Howald

#7 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:45 am

For filters I use a wooden box about the size of a slide box, cut a piece of closed cell foam pad to fit inside the box, cut strips into the foam about half inch apart that go completely across the foam without cutting all the way through. Put the foam in the box and mount the filters vertically in the cut strips. Nice and neat.
Greg

smollerthings

#8 Post by smollerthings » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:34 am

Thanks all for your tips.
Greg Howald wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:45 am
For filters I use a wooden box about the size of a slide box, cut a piece of closed cell foam pad to fit inside the box, cut strips into the foam about half inch apart that go completely across the foam without cutting all the way through.
Genius!

Wes

#9 Post by Wes » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:32 pm

Cyclic mess transfer. Mess accumulates and is cyclically transferred from my desk to a shelf.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

Greg Howald

#10 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:08 pm

My work space is tiny and crowded. If I don't keep it organized I can't stand to be in it.
Greg

don1357

#11 Post by don1357 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:44 am

Do you remember the old adage 'tidy desk tidy mind'? Well then what does an empty desk means? ;)