Buying an old Zeiss standard microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
don1357

Buying an old Zeiss standard microscope

#1 Post by don1357 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:21 am

Hello everybody!

My interest in microscopes come from my interest in mycology; looking at spores and other features to aid in learning about and identifying mushrooms. I'm just getting seriously started with mushrooms and currently I know even less about microscopes.

My other interest has always been vintage equipment from around the 50's~70's; cameras, woodworking tools, you name it; it is like we have been going in a downward spiral ever since. I mean this is the time period when equipment was as much a testament to craftsmanship as to functionality and where the state of the art seem to have reached a level of usability still quite capable to this day. I'm hoping that this is also the case with microscopes.

Currently the object of my lust is the Zeiss triscope standard. I have enjoyed other Zeiss vintage equipment in the past and I would love to be able to work with this microscope but as I said I have no experience with them. My question is this; what am I giving up by getting the old Zeiss vs. say an amscope B120, an inexpensive yet functional modern microscope?

dtsh

Re: Buying an old Zeiss standard microscope

#2 Post by dtsh » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:47 pm

don1357 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:21 am
Currently the object of my lust is the Zeiss triscope standard. I have enjoyed other Zeiss vintage equipment in the past and I would love to be able to work with this microscope but as I said I have no experience with them. My question is this; what am I giving up by getting the old Zeiss vs. say an amscope B120, an inexpensive yet functional modern microscope?
One can have the best of both worlds, the beautiful engineering and durable stands of the past combined with the designs and materials of modern objectives.

Assuming both are in good condition, I don't think the B120 has any advantage over the Zeiss. The Zeiss standard was built for prfessional use, but the Amscope B120 does not appear to be, so comparing them is probably a little unfair to the Amscope.
My personal experience with Zeiss is limited, but I have heard that delamination of optics is something to look for.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi,
in this comparison you are not giving up anything, when you choose an old Zeiss Standard. But I think the comparison is not ideal, I would suggest to compare the old Zeiss Standard with today's Zeiss models PrimoStar and Axiolab. I recently had the opportunity to try out several used PrimoStar microscopes and in my opinion the all were due for a complete maintenance job, stiff fine focus ond squeaking tables.
Whith the old Zeiss you will probably have to invest time or money into maintenance and will need or want to buy some improved components. The amscope will be as mediocre as it is and it won't be worth the effort to improve it.
When you search the forum you will find a lot of threads covering the topic microscope acquisition.

imkap

#4 Post by imkap » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:30 pm

I bought a Zeiss standard a few days ago and despite being a complete newbie I thoroughly enjoy the experience :mrgreen:
I'm cleaning the condenser just this moment...

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:52 pm

don1357 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:21 am
My question is this; what am I giving up by getting the old Zeiss vs. say an amscope B120, an inexpensive yet functional modern microscope?
This article might help in answering your question: https://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ar ... oscope.pdf
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

don1357

#6 Post by don1357 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:54 pm

I thought I responded but the post went poof...

The comparison between the Zeiss and the B120 was on purpose, meant to compare functionalities. What am I giving up by using something like the old Zeiss vs. a modern one with modern optics and controls?

I'm used to the idiosyncrasies of vintage lenses, and seeing all the things that can go wrong with them. Having to replace elements that are beyond salvageable is par for the course.

As luck with have it I asked on my extended group of friends, which includes a micro biologist, and somebody volunteered a microscope I could have for the shipping. Is the same model as the one here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252960722676?h ... t&LH_BIN=1

Funny story; the emeritus professor of biochemistry wasn't as knowledgeable on microscopes as I would have suspected. to him microscopes were a means to an end; waaaaay back in the day he bought whatever his peers were buying and later on the labs provided him with the tools of his trade.

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:48 pm

don1357 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:54 pm
As luck with have it I asked on my extended group of friends, which includes a micro biologist, and somebody volunteered a microscope I could have for the shipping. Is the same model as the one here:

Hard to argue with 'yours for the price of shipping ', but I do think you may have gone a little too far back in time.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

don1357

#8 Post by don1357 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:50 pm

75RR wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:48 pm
don1357 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:54 pm

Hard to argue with 'yours for the price of shipping ', but I do think you may have gone a little too far back in time.
Yeah. I'm still lusting after a Zeiss or Leitz microscope with a dedicated camera port but I figure this one will let me figure out the walking bit before I start running. Supplies and hopefully the camera adapter would be the same so is not like I would be investing on an evolutionary dead end.