Question about coverslips

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
chhejr

Question about coverslips

#1 Post by chhejr » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:54 am

I have a Nikon diaphot inverted microscope, and I've been trying to view some liquid entrained samp
les with a 100x oil emersion objective standard working distance. I used a microscope slide, put a drop on it and covered it with a coverslip. I the flipped it upside down an put it on the stage so that the objective could make contact with it from below (oil was placed on the lens). My problem is that I noticed that when I change the focus that the oil pushes on the coverslip and everything inside the liquid swirls around like crazy. Is there anyway to prevent the coverslip from moving when I change the focus? What standard methods are used to do so?

Alexander

Re: Question about coverslips

#2 Post by Alexander » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:08 am

Oil immersion with a cover slip floating on water wouldn't work on an upright scope much less on an inverted one. Not a good combination.

To view samples on an inverted scope with oil immersion you need proper sample chambers. The bottom of the chamber is a 0.17 mm cover slip which is glued in. With a 3D-printer you may make your own ones. Commercial products are available but carry unpleasant price tags.
Last edited by Alexander on Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:28 am

It sometimes helps to fix the cover slip along one edge with tape. Most inverted microscopes have low power condensers only so the acheivable quality may not satisfy you anyway.

ImperatorRex

#4 Post by ImperatorRex » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:30 pm

Hi,
maybe you can fit in some larger cover glasses? You will find cover glasses (0.17mm thick) also with larger dimensions, like 60 x 40 mm.
I use a alu made frame as an carrier, so I use this large coverglasses just similiar to an convential object carrier.

Some example photos are provided here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5930#p53567
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5930#p53567

These large cover glasses (used as object carriers) really cannot move and are quite stiff.