Viewing slides

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Judge

Viewing slides

#1 Post by Judge » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:32 pm

Hi, I’m new to this. I’m having difficulty looking at different areas of the slide. I move the slide too much or not enough. Are there any tricks to do this? Thanks

Chas

Re: Viewing slides

#2 Post by Chas » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:34 pm

Are you using stage clips? ...often one stage clip is better than two.

Judge

#3 Post by Judge » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:41 pm

Yes I'm using the clips

Chas

#4 Post by Chas » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:13 pm

If there is water between the stage and the slide ..the two things can get a bit 'sucked' together (then best not to use the clips at all). generally I put my thumb on the stage and tweak the slide with the nail.

If you are trying to scan the whole slide area quickly to find 'something' then a mechanical stage is very helpfull as you can be more methodical in searching.

The are some not too expensive add-on stages, they have two pins with a threaded bolt in the middle... if you look at your microscope stage you might find the stage has been pre-drilled to accept them. If not; the little brass pins (in mine at least) unscrewed and I used double sided sticky tape to hold the mechanical stage onto the top of microscopes stage...it worked well ...incredible as it might seem!

The locating pins underneath a Chinese add-on stage:
The attachment Underside of add on stage the pins.jpg is no longer available

Here is a pic of the arrangement of the holes in the stage that they go into .. the middle one is threaded :
Underside of add on stage the pins.jpg
Underside of add on stage the pins.jpg (30.89 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
This isnt your model of microscope .. its a Lomo... the pics are to give you an idea of what you are looking for.

Judge

#5 Post by Judge » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:51 pm

Thank you