buying old(ish) stereo microscopes

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
imkap

buying old(ish) stereo microscopes

#1 Post by imkap » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:30 am

I'll probably buy a stereo microscope sometime this year. These came by on ebay, not sure how good they are. I like them to have a zoom and they don't seem very big which is great... Are the optics good quality on these scopes, would you recommend these or something else?
I probably won't buy very soon, but if a good bargain pops out I'd like to have some preference as what to buy without too much hesitance :D

I've read a thread on stereo microscopes somewhere on the forum and someone linked a list from a web page of microscope repair people in US, where they are stating that most of the old major brand stereo microscopes should be good and possible to service.

This one is Carl Zeiss and on auction for around 300€ currenty, not sure if it is a bit too expensive, I can't find the model name. I think it's from the 90s.

This is Carl Zeiss Jena SM XX, I think it looks great. Sellers says it's a SM XX model This one went for 185€ + shipping

It seems that this one might be too old and more into collectors domain, but I really like the looks of it, it looks like a character from a cartoon :D
Zeiss Opton

There are lot of Olympus stereo for sale, but they either have a 1x mag objective, are quite expensive or in quite bad condition.

MicroBob

Re: buying old(ish) stereo microscopes

#2 Post by MicroBob » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:26 pm

In my experience the condition of the stereo microscopes varies more than their capabilities in good shape. Many have been used in metal or dental workshops, production environments or for soldering and are foggy enough to need a bottle of rum when using them. The Zeiss West/Oberkochen model is a newer design and probably a little better, but Zeiss West/Oberkochen has more problems with delamination. On the used market I would be especially interested in an instrument which I can check myself, can buy from a really dependable dealer or return if bad, in that order.
In my view 7 to 40x magnification are the most useful, by zoom or magnification changer is ok for me.
In which country do you live? The used market will depend heavily on this.

Bob

imkap

#3 Post by imkap » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:49 pm

I'm in Croatia, something might pop up locally as my Zeiss GFL did. Although I did order it by mail, so it was a bit of a risk but well worth it in the end.
I think these on eBay are offered for sale by some people in Europe who sell microscopes and if they have good feedback and a fair return policy I suppose it should turn out good if I ask enough questions. I didn't get burned on ebay yet and I did risk a few times, paying directly to bank account :shock: but it turned out that the sellers were fair, just didn't want to pay the Paypal fees...

But still I think one should pop up here in a while...

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:10 pm

Then you could think about a Lytkarino MBS10, often misnamed LOMO. It is (as much russian optics) based on a Zeiss Jena design, similar to the black Zeiss you showed. They are nice to use with the lower and medium magnifications, the highest magnification is not that sharp any more, but no big limit. They are quite tall so ideal for taller persons.
You could also look what Thilo immel has to offer, he has a good reputation for quality and acceptable prices. http://thilo-immel-optics.de/komplettmikroskope.htm

imkap

#5 Post by imkap » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:00 pm

Thanks, this site looks great it has all sorts of microscope stuff, adapters and things...

Justjim

#6 Post by Justjim » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:27 pm

I am looking at a Leitz scope coming up on auction. It is binocular, so I started by googling if it could be converted to have a photo tube, which brought me here. One thread described colours for compatibility of parts, so being all black, I'm guessing this is old. Are there issues with the glue separating in lens groups or anything I should be concerned about, other than taking care of lubrication?
I have a photography background and always liked photomicrography when in school. This would be a hobby. Is this scope worth looking at or avoiding? Value? I've attached a photo of the scope.
Thank you for any guidance you can give me!
Attachments
Leitz scope.png
Leitz scope.png (76.59 KiB) Viewed 4219 times

imkap

#7 Post by imkap » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:13 pm

Hi and welcome, I'm also very new to the forum and microscopy in general so won't be offering you advice about this scope, although I think it looks nice. :D

I think you might be better off making a new thread with your question as the title about stereo scopes here is misleading so you may have more answers and maybe quicker, I suppose you're in a bit off hurry before the auction ends. :mrgreen:

Good luck

imkap

#8 Post by imkap » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:52 am

How about an Olympus SZ40 (white)?

The one I'm looking at is reportedly in good condition, has a low base so I'd have to do DIY for bottom illumination and it is a binocular. It has a lamp but no power supply. I could make a PSU myself. Not sure should I wait for a trinocular stereo as I would like to do imaging. It can be done on a binocular too, not sure how much would I benefit from a trinocular. I like trinocular on my Zeiss standard...
I've seen a trinocular Nikon come by a few times with a switch for left/right side imaging, not too expensive but more expensive than this one...

I think magnification is 6.7-40x with 10x eyepieces included...

EDIT: I found this in a manual:
image_2022-03-25_115811.png
image_2022-03-25_115811.png (85.77 KiB) Viewed 3876 times

Hobbyst46

#9 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:46 pm

7-40X is an excellent range.
I use my binocular Olympus VMZ (much older than the SZ40) with relatively cheap Chinese WF 10X/23 eyepieces instead of the original G 10X/22. Both are fine.
Although I do not use it for photography.
Adding any LED illumination to a stereo is IMHO easier than LED retrofitting a compound microscope. Besides, non-LED illuminators can be added.
Non-Olympus Barlow lenses work too (I tried a 1.5X Wild and a 2X AO), although the 1.5X is much better than the 2X. New cheap Chinese Barlows might also serve - needs to be tested.

imkap

#10 Post by imkap » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:29 pm

I think I just might order this one, looks in very good condition and the seller is in Europe so if there is any problem it should be easy to solve...

P. S. I'll tell you when the phase telescope arrives, it is stuck at the customs since last monday. Maybe they borrowed it to align their microscopes

imkap

Re: bought the SZ40

#11 Post by imkap » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:08 pm

I just ordered the SZ40, I have a hunch it will be great... It comes with a Philips 6v 15w halogen, the original bulb adapter and no power supply. I'll make a similar PSU like I did for my Zeiss GFL but with a module that should take more current (rated 9A, so should easily handle 3A).
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14944

Do you have any bulb recommendations?

It doesn't have a stage plate, I thought to have a 'glass working' person make one for me out of plexi or some other material. Some ideas about this are welcome too...

Thanks, I'm quite excited :D

Hobbyst46

#12 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:42 am

Congratulations.
The original 20W halogen on my stereo was relatively dim. I did not even try to diagnose or repair anything - just home-made and added a 3W LED and it does the job (for vision at least).
The diameter of the circular glass "stage" on my stereo is ~100mm. I bought an unbranded cheap Chinese black/white plastic stage of the same size. And a glass stage from a similar source was also simpler and cheaper than ordering from a glazier.

Edit: something like this perhaps - but choose the correct diameter for the SZ40.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183709537041?h ... SwcqFdkdEx
or this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384345720885?h ... SwtqhhIYpy

Note: these are ground glass; mine is clear glass. In fact, if adding a sub-stage makeshift LED circular lamp, a ground glass might be better to create uniform illumination.
Just a post-item thought...

Hobbyst46

#13 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:53 am

Please share your experience with the new stereo scope when it arrives.

imkap

#14 Post by imkap » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:19 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:42 am
The diameter of the circular glass "stage" on my stereo is ~100mm. I bought an unbranded cheap Chinese black/white plastic stage of the same size. And a glass stage from a similar source was also simpler and cheaper than ordering from a glazier.

Edit: something like this perhaps - but choose the correct diameter for the SZ40.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183709537041?h ... SwcqFdkdEx
or this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384345720885?h ... SwtqhhIYpy
I'll do that, it is far simpler than a glazier or DIY...

As for the light, a LED is far more convenient than halogen, I'll try to find one maybe with a frosted glass too. They are quite cheap. I'll try 4000K first...

Thanks...

dazz

#15 Post by dazz » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:34 am

Hi
For the benefit of fellow newbies that find this post, I went through the process of buying a relatively new old stereo scope.
There was no danger of finding a suitable instrument where I live, so I searched on e-bay USA.
I generally prefer to buy good old stuff rather than cheap new things. Old stuff is often repairable, well made, supported on-line and holds its value.

I looked at a number of makes/models but settled on a Bausch&Lomb Stereo Zoom 4. They are well made, common, and entirely met my requirements (electronics prototyping).
What I found is that price and condition are not related. You can pay a lot for junk. Patience has rewards. Just looking for a period of months allowed me to figure out the difference between asking price and market price. I found exactly what I wanted, in good condition, for a very reasonable price. Since buying over a year ago, I have been looking for a second reasonably priced SZ4 in similar condition, meeting a few other requirements related to the stand etc. I have not found a second SZ4 that I like enough to bid on.

In the past, I have found that many USA sellers will not export goods. I use a freight forwarding service that provides USA sellers with an address in Oregon. Shipping costs within the USA are low, but shipping across the USA border is expensive. Since Covid, international shipping costs are eye-watering. Shipping cost is dead money. The money you pay does not improve the quality of what you buy. It is only worth buying high quality items in very good condition. I have found that typically USA sellers will over-package items, which improves survival rates, but only adds more $$ to shipping costs.

For me, e-bay is the option of last resort. Dealing with e-bay problems is just evil. I trade on the basis that I might lose all of my money.

imkap

#16 Post by imkap » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:52 pm

There are a lot of unreasonably priced items on eBay, but they tend to stay there for a long time. Also some people list for a high price and then accept a lot lower offer. It is a global flea market :D
I bought 4 microscope items in last few months including the Olympus SZ40, and apart from the 3 projektiv Jena eyepieces, which are in a bad condition everything else is in very good condition. I had an opportunity to return the bad eyepieces, but I settled for a partial refund instead as it was less of a hassle so I don't feel cheated at all...

If the stereo microscope was in a bad condition it could have been a pain to return it, but still a lot bigger problem for the seller than myself. I'm very happy with the purchase. One should read the feedback carefully and communicate with the seller, to learn all the details and after this I think eBay does offer quite good protection. I bought a lot of stuff on eBay and never had problems.
I also did some selling a few years ago (not optics) and never had any real problems, I must say I feel a lot safer as a buyer on eBay, as I can choose the sellers to deal with...

Of course it is best to buy locally, but in some places the market is just not that big...

PeteM

#17 Post by PeteM » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:07 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:42 am
. . . Note: these are ground glass; mine is clear glass. In fact, if adding a sub-stage makeshift LED circular lamp, a ground glass might be better to create uniform illumination.
Just a post-item thought...
Here's another option for substage illumination:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13388&p=107763&hil ... ed#p107763

Available here - it fits where a glass stage plate would normally go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/320744739657