Physics Stuff

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
MicroMan2

Physics Stuff

#1 Post by MicroMan2 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:11 am

cases where specimen detail is so fine that the zeroth order undiffracted and first order diffracted sideband light are separated by a distance equal to the diameter of the objective aperture, the resolving power is twice as high as observed for axial transmitted illumination

I have a question regarding the statement. So in opinion if one sideband light is split from another side light with the former being undiffracted and the latter being diffrated split at a diameter of the objective 's opening the numerical aperture doubles.
Is my simplified statement a misinterpretation or is it slightly correct
Thanks for replying. :D

gekko

Re: Physics Stuff

#2 Post by gekko » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:25 am

MicroMan2 wrote:cases where specimen detail is so fine that the zeroth order undiffracted and first order diffracted sideband light are separated by a distance equal to the diameter of the objective aperture, the resolving power is twice as high as observed for axial transmitted illumination

I have a question regarding the statement. So in opinion if one sideband light is split from another side light with the former being undiffracted and the latter being diffrated split at a diameter of the objective 's opening the numerical aperture doubles.
Is my simplified statement a misinterpretation or is it slightly correct
Thanks for replying. :D
I'm not sure I understand your question or what you mean by sideband (diffraction order?) I'll try to answer as best as I can (and I hope someone will correct any misstatements I make). To simplify the situation, if you have (case 1) axial, monochromatic illumination of a diffraction grating having, say, 1 µm spacing that is just resolved (both first orders subtend the objective aperture--they are just able to pass through), then I think (at least as I understand it) with an oblique beam (case 2), a diffraction grating with 0.5 µm spacing will be resolved, where the zeroth order and one of the first orders subtend the objective aperture (just able to enter), so the resolution in case 2 would be double that in case 1. I'm not sure if this helps answer your question or not.