Nikon MS inverted, anyone familiar with these?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
EVILsteve

Nikon MS inverted, anyone familiar with these?

#1 Post by EVILsteve » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:09 am

I came across on old nikon MS inverted microscope somewhat locally that's pretty well identical to this one on ebay. its a bit of a drive so I was hoping someone here might have something good or bad to say on these models before I make the trip.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/402758071028?ha ... SwvOBgVmPS

Looks like it uses the short barrel objectives and shares parts with the S series uprights like the S-KT.
-Does this have the same fine focus flaw as the S series?
-How does this round stage function, what does the handle/tiller/lever thing do on it?
-Will newer 160 objectives work with this. They should physically screw in but will cf lwd objectives have enough distance from the stage or standard cf objectives too little.

My hope is this will work with some of the gear I have such as newer plan acro objectives and 23mm non compensating eyepieces /pl lenses from my optiphot or at least do direct projection. Being inverted it should be easy enough to achieve kohler illumination unlike the upright models when mixing short barrel and newer objectives unless I'm overlooking something.

I wanted to try my hand at diatom arrangments and thought this would get me some more working room, not take up too much space and possibly be somewhat portable.

Greg Howald

Re: Nikon MS inverted, anyone familiar with these?

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:11 am

Those were the days!
That's a beautiful instrument. Many times a circular stage was made to be able to rotate, allowing for petrographic studies with polarized light. The objectives do look like they are short length but I assume they are also long focal. It looks like it offers different condenser lenses for differing magnification levels.
But it also looks like a ton of set up and a lot to keep clean.
That might make it less portable but I do think you ought to do your best to accomplish portability. A scope like that deserves to be seen and I hope you are able to truly enjoy it.
Greg

EVILsteve

#3 Post by EVILsteve » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:45 pm

Im glad to see a positive endorsement. The design really did catch my eye. I love my optiphot it has that serious look to it decked out with the trinoc and camera mounted but has that unattractive hospital sterility as well. This one just has an elegance to it at least from the pictures I've seen.

I inquired a bit further and it does have a damaged fine focus gear and browsing some pictures im quite sure it's the same gear as the s-series. I do think I'm going to take this one anyway. Seems like it might be one of those deals that's almost free as long as I'm serious about putting it back in service.

Greg Howald

#4 Post by Greg Howald » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:50 pm

Putting such things back in service can be frustrating. I have had to make more than one attempt on more than one occasion. But the reward upon completion is the satisfaction of a job well done and having done something that others might think not possible. I hope you are able to restore it and enjoy it. :) Greg

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:14 am

That might be one of Nikon's wonderful gliding stages on the Ebay listing. No x-y controls but a damped-in-grease movement. Grab the sides and it's excellent for following things like protists.

That said, I wouldn't pay near the Ebay price for one that's a long drive away if it's not complete and in good conditon. As you've found out, it has the same problematic focus system and you'd want to upgrade to a brighter lamp, and so on. You'd also want to check if it has a complete set of phase annulli and phase LWD objectives.

Microscope prices on eBay recently seem pegged to the price of oil, but it used to be that more modern Nikon and Olympus inverted scopes could be found fairly affordably. Maybe still? They won't look as cool, though . . .

I am curious - has anyone recently procured a replacement Nikon S fine focus gear? Source and cost?

EVILsteve

#6 Post by EVILsteve » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:29 pm

Thanks for the info you guys supplied me with before I had a look at this. I picked up this microscope yesterday and Im quite pleased with it. It's missing objectives and power supply but led illumination and a camera flash setup was the first thing I'd planned for it anyway.
This one doesn't seem to need much else to get it functional but I'll be tearing it down this week and scrutinizing it more thoroughly throughout the week.

Replacement nikon s spur gear can be purchased in the US for 85$
ww.microscope-maintenance.com
Pricey but it should last forever.

BramHuntingNematodes

#7 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:39 pm

I have an old S and if it's like that but upside down it will great. There is that coaxial focus issue. I do have a copy of that phase condenser and it works really well. It's perhaps that easiest to adjust.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination