ready to upgrade

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Judge

ready to upgrade

#1 Post by Judge » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:40 am

I’ve been using an introductory microscope, Swift 200, for 2 years (No mechanical stage, no condenser). I’m ready to upgrade. I could use some advice.
I’m thinking about.
$300 Compound microscope (mostly pond water & marine water specimens.)
3 objectives ok.
Condenser.
Diaphragm .
Mechanical stage.
LED light.
Dark field ability.
Am I forgetting anything?
What are the pros and cons of 1 viewing tube as opposed to 2? I make videos. I could use some microscope recommendations.
Thanks in advance.

Javier

Re: ready to upgrade

#2 Post by Javier » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:34 am

Hi,

I started with similar scope than yours. Last year I upgraded to an Amscope b 120 (around 230$) with an added 20x objective, and it was a game changer for me. I also take videos using an old phone. If it helps, you check micromusic22 on Instagram to get an idea of what can be done with this still basic but nice scope.

Good luck with your choice!

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:01 am

Also on Amscope, check out open box and clearance items. You may get a better scope for less and it will still be in like new condition.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:53 pm

Adding DF into your requirements pushes the envelope on your pricing. A DF condenser alone will eat about 1/3 of your budget, limiting you to a pretty basic instrument, with achromat objectives and binocular head at the most.
Since you are interested in videos, in order to pursue that with acceptable quality, you should have plan objectives and a trinocular head, both of which will push your budget quite a bit north. You probably can squeeze into a 450.00 budget but the led on such instruments is usually 1 watt, cutting it close for 400X DF. 3 watts is more in line with your needs, especially if the trinocular uses a beamsplitter giving only 80% to the camera port. A 0%-100%, 100%-0% moving prism trinocular would be better.
Your best bet would be to buy from Radical in India. Free shipping and a bigger bang for your buck.
Here is one for 329.00. It has plan objectives, 3 watt led, trinocular, free shipping. Quite well tricked out for that price. Anything Amscope sells in that price range does not have plan optics.
https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayI ... 1063441387.

Another option and in my opinion a better one is to look for a complete and good, AO series 10. It is a much more capable instrument than any Asian microscope in that price range and you should be able to find one for around 300 in good condition.

Phill Brown

#5 Post by Phill Brown » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:12 pm

Keep an eye out for pre owned.
There will be most options in your budget.
I missed a Vickers complete with Nomarski setup for £250 while wondering if I could pick it up.
Guess I'll buy it now and ask questions later if anything like that happens again.

Javier

#6 Post by Javier » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:36 pm

IMHO; you can achieve nice dark field images up to 200x with any scope that has a condenser with a filter holder by adding a homemade filter. Note that I said nice, not pro, not excellent.

To find out what image is or not acceptable for you, I strongly recommend you to search for videos done with different scopes and cameras. What is unacceptable for other might be very cool for you.

Judge

#7 Post by Judge » Mon May 02, 2022 4:07 pm

Thanks for the info. I welcome additional advice on this question.
thanks