To Buy or Not to Buy?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
LuckySchwinning

To Buy or Not to Buy?

#1 Post by LuckySchwinning » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:25 am

Hi,

I have recently found an old Nippon Kogaku #61917. I have not purchase it yet and was hoping to get some opinion and advice whether its a good scope. It does have a transformer with it as well.
Attachments
Nippon02.jpg
Nippon02.jpg (142.96 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Nippon01.jpg
Nippon01.jpg (138.14 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

dtsh

Re: To Buy or Not to Buy?

#2 Post by dtsh » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:42 pm

I'm not familiar with that scope, but I have handled similar Japanese scopes from around the same time period. They usually perform reasonably well with good optics, though probably not plan. The price seems a tad high to me, but not outside the realm of reasonable assuming everything works.

BramHuntingNematodes

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:57 pm

I have one like that it is a good scope and I like the condenser mount in particular. The separate fine and course controls are a good thing for this model as they are almost certain to work. The only problem I have had is that the screws that hold the head and condenser are quite soft and they eventually broke. To replace them was a period of trial and error with several metric dies and stainless rod. They are M3.5x0.6 an unusual thread.

There are Nikon short barrel plan lenses available, as well as apo and phase lenses, water immersion and UV lenses too. I like them alright not quite as nice as contemporaneous B&L lenses but neat.

You could also outfit one with old Tiyoda lenses, which are as AO was to B&L roughly equivalent but a bit nicer made in most respects. Tiyoda also had a wide range of phase lenses and I have one of their old short barrel apos that is superb.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

LuckySchwinning

#4 Post by LuckySchwinning » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:29 pm

Thank you so much for the replies and information. I know the seller so maybe I can get them down to $100. It also sounds like I have a few options w/ the scope as well. Honestly I don't even know what I would use it for, I mostly just like the way it looks :) Thanks again!

BramHuntingNematodes

#5 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:53 pm

That would be a good price. It's a nice compact system and you could also find a trinocular head for it if you like photography.

LuckySchwinning

#6 Post by LuckySchwinning » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:30 pm

Bram,

I was totally wondering if I could get a trinocular head for it. I love photography and this would be a new and interesting way for me to expand that interest. Very useful. Thank you.

BramHuntingNematodes

#7 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:04 pm

Like so (I am not this seller I will never sell all my old junk!!!!)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384923594400?m ... media=COPY