Rotifers in dry summer

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
imkap

Rotifers in dry summer

#1 Post by imkap » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:59 pm

It's pretty hot here and will be for a few months from now. :shock: A real rain didn't fall for a month or more, we had one just sprinkling a bit a few weeks ago... I'd like to find some rotifers, paramecium or similar earthlings and there is no pond or anything similar anywhere close, so I'm wondering what might be the safest place to find them in the dry summer? Maybe take some soil from outside and put into water? I did try that once but nothing happened, just some bacteria...

dtsh

Re: Rotifers in dry summer

#2 Post by dtsh » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:20 am

imkap wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:59 pm
It's pretty hot here and will be for a few months from now. :shock: A real rain didn't fall for a month or more, we had one just sprinkling a bit a few weeks ago... I'd like to find some rotifers, paramecium or similar earthlings and there is no pond or anything similar anywhere close, so I'm wondering what might be the safest place to find them in the dry summer? Maybe take some soil from outside and put into water? I did try that once but nothing happened, just some bacteria...
I don't have a real answer for you, just some speculation. I would think some material from a typically wet spot that's not currently, remoistened with some distilled water might yield something?

imkap

#3 Post by imkap » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:03 pm

dtsh wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:20 am
]
I don't have a real answer for you, just some speculation. I would think some material from a typically wet spot that's not currently, remoistened with some distilled water might yield something?
Thanks, I'll try this

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:38 am

imkap wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:03 pm
dtsh wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:20 am
]
Thanks, I'll try this
Two sources never failed to produce paramecia for me. Summer or winter.
1. Dry hay (from the wildlife field). In water for a few days.
2. A ripe banana peel in water for a few days.
Both infusion smell, but the protists can be found before the stench becomes unbearable.

imkap

#5 Post by imkap » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:29 pm

I'll try this too, now I'm in the middle of the Axiolab repairs, so no time for microscopy... :mrgreen: I should hurry as my household members are getting tired of the parts all over the place. Not to mention I have some real work to do and my desk is currently completely cluttered with tools and parts...