What to with Specimens after observing.

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
chrish57

What to with Specimens after observing.

#1 Post by chrish57 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:07 am

Hi Everyone again,

I have been wondering if after you get done with observing a slide like pond water. Do you scrape slide off back into the water or put it in the drain. Myself I put back into the water. Am i correct in doing that?

Chris

SuiGenerisBrewing

Re: What to with Specimens after observing.

#2 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:00 pm

I rinse the slide and coverslip clean in the sink, air dry, and reuse.

I am also very, very cheap.

JGardner

#3 Post by JGardner » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:31 pm

I toss the slide and coverslip into a bucket of isopropyl alcohol. When enough accumulate I pour off the alcohol and throw the glass in the trash.

Dubious

#4 Post by Dubious » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:32 pm

I usually rinse and reuse or in some cases simply discard slides. In fairness, I should probably standardize on a system that returns the protists to an environment where they at least have a chance.

FatBassPlayer

#5 Post by FatBassPlayer » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:56 pm

I have always returned the sample to the environment from which it came, or if that's impractical, to an environment in which any life in the sample has a chance of survival.

Then I clean and reuse the slide & coverslip.
Picasso is dead,
Mozart is dead,
Einstein is dead,
And I ain't feeling great.

chrish57

#6 Post by chrish57 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:52 pm

Thank you guys that is what I thought. I just couldn't see myself putting it dowm the toilet or sink.

JGardner

#7 Post by JGardner » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:55 pm

Come on, guys, why so much anthropomorphizing Protista? These are single-celled organisms that are more like a biological automaton and not thinking, feeling beings.

Remember, every time you wash your hands you're killing millions of microorganisms.

EYE C U

#8 Post by EYE C U » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:09 pm

YOU WOULD GET JAIL TIME FOR PUTTING STUFF IN THE WATER HERE.

Dubious

#9 Post by Dubious » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:34 am

JGardner wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:55 pm
Come on, guys, why so much anthropomorphizing Protista? These are single-celled organisms that are more like a biological automaton and not thinking, feeling beings.

Remember, every time you wash your hands you're killing millions of microorganisms.

Respect for/fear of karma, more than anthropomorphizing... And it isn't all about single-celled organisms; there are often much more complex creatures such as rotifers in the mix, that maybe do think and have feelings.

Greg Howald

#10 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:20 am

Nothing wrong with respecting the lives of microbes. After all they will eat you in the end :) These little guys were here before us and will still be here when we are gone.

karhukainen

#11 Post by karhukainen » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:09 am

I think the main thing to care about is not spreading species to new environments. This can be an issue if you collect samples from a wide area, different habitats, aquariums etc. Don't release aquarium water into your nearby waterbodies :) Otherwise I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but like others already pointed out, washing your hands, cleaning your house or eating anything will also kill loads of microorganisms.
Nikon Labophot

Dennis

#12 Post by Dennis » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:22 am

When I see the water evaporate toward the little animals from the hot light bulb I feel sorry and when I change a slide to see if can get some fresh finds wasn't getting on the other slide. If humans are all gone someday they will still be here-

https://beta.nsf.gov/news/arctic-rotife ... ozen-state

I feel bad for them that I got a small sample out of my birdbath but then go and hose clean the birdbath and refill it with fresh clean chlorinated water and wipe out zillions!