Good quality microscope needed for fecal exams

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
kmburrdmd

Good quality microscope needed for fecal exams

#1 Post by kmburrdmd » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:40 am

Hello all. I am going to be doing my own equine fecal egg counts and need a microscope. Ideally I would like 4 objectives 4,10,40,100. I would much rather have a quality older used microscope than a brand new piece of junk. Any suggestions?

GerryR

Re: Good quality microscope needed for fecal exams

#2 Post by GerryR » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:11 pm

I have AO model Sixty and AO Series 10 microscopes, Both are well made and relatively inexpensive used. The AO Sixty is not as capable as the Series 10, but still a good scope and less costly than the 10. Both are available with 4-objective turrets and will be quite suitable for your task. I have had horses for many years, horseless now, and used the McMaster slides for fecal egg counting, which I assume you are using(?).
Last edited by GerryR on Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:34 pm

I sold one through our vet for the same purpose. I am not sure of your exact use but I was told that no more than 400X was necessary for coccidia, however having the extra possibility of 1000X with good resolution is always useful and doesn't usually incur extra cost in a used microscope.
You will be handling stuff coming out the basement door, so contamination is always a possibility. I would look for one with limited plastic on it and generally a smooth enamel finish. Plastic is quite porous and very prone to becoming contaminated.
On a dollar/performance ratio the AO model 10 is hard to beat. There were zillions of them sold, so there are still lots of good ones out there. Dirt and abuse are always present but that holds true for all microscopes, even new ones.

GerryR

#4 Post by GerryR » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:40 pm

Using the McMaster method, you only need a 4X objective for initial focusing and a 10X for the counting, assuming a 10X eyepiece. A mechanical stage makes life a lot easier, as well. I have several pdf files on this if interested.

kmburrdmd

#5 Post by kmburrdmd » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:57 pm

Thank you! Yes I am planning on using the McMaster Method. I would love any pdf files you have. Thanks for the suggestion on a microscope as well

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:59 pm

The AOs are almost unbeatable on a quality per dollar level.

dtsh

#7 Post by dtsh » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:14 am

kmburrdmd wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:40 am
Hello all. I am going to be doing my own equine fecal egg counts and need a microscope. Ideally I would like 4 objectives 4,10,40,100. I would much rather have a quality older used microscope than a brand new piece of junk. Any suggestions?
I missed this thread when it was new, I do FEC (fecal egg counts) here. All the advice given thus far is good in my opinion, my only comment is that for FEC all you really need are a 4x and 10x objective. Anyone looking to do FEC and similar, I encourage you to look at some of the black enamel scopes from the past if you are on a budget for some really good deals. One fitted with 4x, 10x, and 40x, covers just about everything you'll want to examine from ponds life to worm eggs. For FEC my best advice is to do them as often as you can, after a while you get pretty quick, but most importantly you get familiar with what you're looking for.

I have an AO 35 so fitted that I hand out to neighbors. I give them a quick overview of how to use a microscope, if they're doing FEC I will cover that briefly, and ask that instead of putting it in a closet when they're done with it that they return it so that others can use it. Anyone who shows an interest and takes decent care of the 35 can borrow other scopes if the 35 is out on loan, though perhaps not my most precious scope.

dgwst

#8 Post by dgwst » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:18 am

kmburrdmd wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:57 pm
snake game
Thank you! Yes I am planning on using the McMaster Method. I would love any pdf files you have. Thanks for the suggestion on a microscope as well
I have gained more understanding thanks to this topic. Thanks!