I need stuff!

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
JGQ

I need stuff!

#1 Post by JGQ » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:18 pm

Hiya, where is a good place online to get affordable supplies like Petri dishes, tweezers, specimen containers etc?

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: I need stuff!

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:53 pm

I have heard of fisher being called the Walmart of science
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Dennis

#3 Post by Dennis » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:11 pm

I use a former ice tea container to get water samples then the hoagie sandwich "condiment dishes" they give you if you want "peppers or onions on the side."
And they also sell them at the grocery store. I got a nice eye dropper for like $1.50 at the local drug store. Tweezers I had.
Maybe this can give you suggestions. Stuff doesn't have to be too fancy.
Also I wash all my slides and cover slips and keep re-using them.

-Dennis

WWWW

#4 Post by WWWW » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:03 pm

I work just like Dennis, everything is reused.
You can do a lot with household items.

EYE C U

#5 Post by EYE C U » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:34 pm

AMAZON , EBAY

dtsh

#6 Post by dtsh » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:04 pm

I tend to reuse household bottles and containers where I can, failing that I check eBay, Amazon, Goodwill, and failing all those...I go to traditional sources.

Dennis

#7 Post by Dennis » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:52 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Sc ... orporation
That place was a half hour car drive away for me in Barrington, NJ. I went to their going out closing sale and there were all tables and shelves full of beakers and test tubes and flasks (maybe same as beakers) anyhow all scientific glassware.

But anyhow I love the little condiment plastic cups. They even sell/ give them with lids. I use for my Petri (sp) dish for the eye dropper. Only reason I have tweezers out is because was trying to break up some moss to see water bears which I could not find any.

At Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/PlastiMade-Clear ... 05171&th=1 Mine I just got like 4 free with peppers and onions on the side from a hoagie sandwich and I'll just keep re using them.

I guess I am crashing your post with the Edmund Scientific link but if you wanted to go "Professional Lab" I am sure there are similar companies making test tubes, flasks, etc...

-Dennis

Sure Squintsalot

#8 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:02 am

Fischer has everything you need but they will hose you big time on shipping and minimum orders. Amscope also has many things for "cheap" but I don't like their internet sales engine....sucking you into purported discounts then pulling the rug out when clicking the order button. Check your local school systems warehouse; they throw out literally tons of labs supplies on a regular basis and may have a pile of things they're dying to have taken away.

Dubious

#9 Post by Dubious » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:46 pm

My last splurge on supplies was at a flea market, where there was a guy selling surplus medical/dental tools. For a few bucks, I bought a lifetime supply of tweezers, scissors, etc.