Carl Zeiss Standard 14 advice

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Oscar55

Re: Carl Zeiss Standard 14 advice

#31 Post by Oscar55 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:11 am

Thank you everyone. I will see the microscope in person later today (fingers crossed). If the bulb is intact, I might consider buying an original transformer. In case the bulb needs a replacement i will most likely buy a separate lab power supply. I think this below is the original transformer model. Is the intensity regulated by switching the plug between the different voltage options - 2.5 - 4.5 - 5.5? Can anyone who is using the same type of transformer share some experience?
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (79.21 KiB) Viewed 2272 times

imkap

#32 Post by imkap » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:09 am

The bulb will need replacing sooner or later. I wouldn't spend money on old electronics, I don't see any benefits apart from the looks. If you want an all original Zeiss better buy a halogen lamphouse.

MicroBob

#33 Post by MicroBob » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:08 pm

To compensate for the yellowish light you would need a blue filter.
These original transformers are durable but quite impactical in use. There are ready made LED conversions and it is not that difficult to build one yourself.

Oscar55

#34 Post by Oscar55 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:13 pm

Hi Guys,

For good or not I am a proud owner of a Zeiss Standard 14 now :lol:

The final offer was 130 EUR and I decided to go ahead and take the risk. I also bought a pair of Periplan 10x18 eyepieces from ebay which will be here next week. For power supply alternative I just ordered a cheap 10EUR ac/dc 2.5A adaptor which have several voltage options. This will allow me some tests and give me some time to decide which path to go further. I will be able to set up and turn on the scope next week. Until then I am sharing my first impression:

- Debris, Debris, Debris - I spent 3 hours last night for the initial outer cleaning and took apart the easiest parts. I follow the instructions from the forum. Using ear syringe, zeiss lens cleaner, distillate water, 100% cotton swabs etc. I managed to clean the body, condenser, objectives.

- Delamination - The are no signs of delamination of the objectives and condenser lenses. However the right binocular tube does. It is seen in some angles only. It is small purple defect in the corner. I hope that this one will not be seen during the actual microscopy. Is that possibly a prism?

- Focus - Both fine and coarse focus felt light. My great concern was dealing with regreasing the gears. I just do not the confidence to do it at this point. I think that these are fine.

- Stage - Feel stiff. I am considering disassembling it and re-greasing.

- Condenser rack - very stiff. Any tips how to take this down for cleaning/regreasing?

This is for now. Thank you every one for the tips and your time!

MicroBob

#35 Post by MicroBob » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:46 pm

Congratulations!
The delamination might be outside the field of view or not be well visible anyway.
The fine focus gears of this series is much more robust than usual so there is no immediate risk of wrecking it when it moves a little stiff. Condenser rack-is there a nut with two holes?
Stage should be easy to overhaul, this was difficult on the GFL ones. The rule here is: Stiff lubricant to the controls, soft lubricant to the rails.

imkap

#36 Post by imkap » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:49 pm

Great, congratulations :D

I followed some instructions on the link below when refurbishing my GFL (it is in German, but with images, I don't understand anything without a translator) and asked a lot of questions on the forum. Like you I knew nothing about microscopes then and with patience and courage :D had success, I would now dare to take anything apart... :)

https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... ic=17294.0

Just don't force anything and get yourself a few good small screwdrivers with a flat head 1.2 1.5 2 3mm, Zeiss has a lot of small set screws with a flat head and they are easily damaged if stuck, so be careful. And try to work parts one by one, and take notes, photos of screw sizes, use a few containers for storing screws while working etc. as these tend to get mixed up easily.

These videos are great, they are for Olympus but you can learn a lot about greasing etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkuGui ... bRAnj8CxuA

Don't put grease or oil or anything on any of the iris, just clean if needed... The stage has small dowel pin bearings inside, it was quite annoying to assemble. Maybe you don't need any grease on them, just put some on the controls. Good and cheap thick grease is ATE Plastilube used for car brakes. I have a few more which are less thick and one thicker. You probably won't need oil anywhere, it easily gets messy.

130€ is great and if you have an imperfection on the prism, I think it won't be a problem for visual observation. The problems can start when you start photographing and then you want sharp images, good contrast etc. so you look at all the parts. Your camera doesn't have to go through that hole anyway so.

This scope's mechanism probably didn't move for a while, things might get less stiff after some use.

For a start you can find a flashlight and direct it to the hole in the back, look at onion skin or whatever.

FredH

#37 Post by FredH » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:33 am

Condenser rack: after removing the objectives, binocular head, and condenser (to avoid damage to the optical components) you can turn the microscope upside down and separate the base from the rest of the microscope. then you can remove the condenser rack. There is a stop screw which limits the condenser stage travel; after removing this, you can lower the stage as far as the knob will drive it and then pull it off. Then you can renew the grease on the condenser rack; perhaps that will be enough to fix the condenser rack stiffness.

While you have the base off you can separate the x-y stage mount from the microscope (four screws). If your stage is like the one in

https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... f=5&t=7990

you won't have to completely disassemble the stage to clean out old dried grease from the accessible ends of the ways, and add some oil to soften the remaining dried grease.

Hobbyst46

#38 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:18 pm

To add to what MicroBob and imkap mentioned: Zeiss screws are often made of brass, so are very soft; the screwdriver blade should accurately fit the slot. Tapered screwdriver tips are not the best for that job.

If and when you remove the condenser holder, sometimes there are improvised shim pieces (added by previous owners), to adjust the parallelism with the stage and smoothness of vertical movement of the condenser holder.

A tiny drop of damping grease such as Nyogel 767A between the condenser holder and the stand can help to achieve smooth focusing of the condenser and prevent it from sinking down under its own weight.