Camera advice: Nikon 1 J5...anyone used before?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Ryanb

Camera advice: Nikon 1 J5...anyone used before?

#1 Post by Ryanb » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:22 am

Hey everyone! I just started microscopy as a hobby this past week. I’ve got an Olympus BH2 BHTU set up. I just ordered the U-SPT phototube, PE 2.5x, and U-PMTVC and am looking to order the camera now.
I have my eyes on a Nikon 1 J5 and was wondering if anyone has experience with this? Ideally, I’d like to be able to take videos of what I am looking at but also have capability of picture taking. Any suggestions that are of equal performance/price?

Thank you all for your input! (Budget is $200-350 and am looking for used on eBay)

PeteM

Re: Camera advice: Nikon 1 J5...anyone used before?

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:41 am

The mirrorless Nikon J1 is a good value (especially a bare and barely used body). However, it uses a modestly sized sensor, quite a bit smaller than the full frame size you might want for an Olympus BH2 with a 2.5x photo relay lens.

The ideal application (image size-wise) for a J1 is, in my opinion, shooting directly from an infinite scope that doesn't want eyepiece or photo relay lens corrections.

The dilemma here is that you really want a full frame mirrorless camera, with a sensor the same diagonal size as the old 35mm frame size. Those typically run more than you'd like to spend, though you might find an older full frame digital camera body with a silent mode to avoid shutter shake.

You might find that an APS-C sized used camera, a bit cheaper, won't be so far off in matching the view of eyepieces and camera that it's a reasonable compromise. APS-C really wants the elusive 1.67x Olympus photo relay lens - that lens typically costing a few hundred dollars all by itself.
Last edited by PeteM on Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryanb

#3 Post by Ryanb » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:46 am

Thank you for answering! Do you have a recommendation that would be better fit for the set up I have?

I don’t have an infinite scope I don’t think and my objectives are splan but aren’t infinity corrected.

Thanks so much!!

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:55 am

I added a bit to the above (about APS-C cameras), while you were typing.

The BH2 is a very nice scope -- in the best of worlds someone will recommend a somewhat affordable full frame digital camera body with a silent mode. What little I know about the full frame options with a silent shutter, remote release, etc. tend to be 2 to 3x your target price (e.g. something like a Nikon D750). Could be there's now a mirrorless full frame camera that's both less expensive and even less prone to vibration? Some older Sony?

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:58 am

I sometimes use the Nikon 1J5 on microscopes, but in an afocal setup with the 18,5mm objective over an eyepiece. I don't think it works well without a Nikon camera objective mounted, it might not even release.
Rolf Vossen has developed clever camera adaptation solutions for Zeiss, Leitz and Olympus, this would be the way I would suggest: https://microscopyofnature.com/micropho ... -eyepieces scroll way down...
I use one of his setups for Zeiss 160mm and like it a lot.

The camera hs to have an electronic first shutter curtain, EFSC. This avoids shutter shock before exposure and is important for good photo quality.
A cheap camera with this feature would be a Sony NEX 5N , where the "N" is important. The NEX 6 would also a good choice, NEX 5T NEX 5R and many later models. The work very well on the microscope. A camera with EFSC ans PC tethering would be Canon EOS 650 and some but not all other models of the 3-digit line.
You might check whether a Canon 5D or older Sony A7 has EFSC and could be squeezed into your budget as full format options.

Bob