Camera suggestion

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Sicarius

Camera suggestion

#1 Post by Sicarius » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:25 am

I am wanting to purchase a camera for my microscopes but I am unsure on where to start. I have a Zeiss Axioskop and an Olympus sz6045. Ideally I'd like to get one camera that I can use for both and can be used with the trinocular port. Are there specific brands that are recommended/not recommended? Would I be better off purchasing an old used Axiocam or a new AmScope/Swift.

imkap

Re: Camera suggestion

#2 Post by imkap » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:04 am

Buy a mirrorless camera. They go from 250$ up depending on age and condition, all make good images and can be used for general photography, macro too...

Dubious

Re: Camera suggestion

#3 Post by Dubious » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:57 am

Do some googling or searches on this forum to find others who are using the microscopes/cameras at issue. Easiest to interface is probably a USB camera, but better results are usually obtained with a larger-sensor DSLR or similar. If the camera has a mechanical shutter (most non-USB cameras), you want EFCS (electronic first curtain shutter) to eliminate "shutter shock." See the discussions on this forum.