is indian microscope any good?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
sam9045

is indian microscope any good?

#1 Post by sam9045 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:09 am

hi everyone ,
i am thinking about buying trinocular compound microscope. if i buy from US based companies like Amscope, omax etc. i have to pay large import duties . same is true for chinese companies and also some of there website is not working in india. i have searched about indian microscope companies like radical , micron optik etc. i want to know if you have any experience with indian microscope.

Dubious

Re: is indian microscope any good?

#2 Post by Dubious » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:18 pm

There have been a few prior postings about Indian microscopes on this forum, which you may be able to find. My impression (no actual experience buying) is they are often comparable to similar Chinese models. I have heard some Indian stuff is surprisingly good, but I suppose there is a lot of variance.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:20 pm

The Indian manufacturers trade with the Chinese in optics. Some Chinese microscopes can carry Indian optics and visa versa. Some Indian stands are actually made in China too. Indian research microscopes can carry Japanese optics as well, made by Seiwa.
In general Indian microscopes are good value and they often will ship for free. I have used Indian higher end optics and am generally pleased with them. Like all budget items though, quality control can be a little lower, so you have to be prepared that something might slip through. I have had to have a couple of objectives replaced but there were no questions asked. I didn't even have to return the defective ones.
Chinese quality control suffers from the same slack.

Alexander

#4 Post by Alexander » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:52 pm

If you are based in India, give them a try. The "American" microscopes from Amscope et. al. are all made in China and not different from those Chinese brands. If they are good for you, there is a very good chance an Indian one is as well.