AmScope T490b-TP vs Swift Stellar 1 Pro-T

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
SanFran77

AmScope T490b-TP vs Swift Stellar 1 Pro-T

#1 Post by SanFran77 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:29 am

I have an eye on both microscopes (pun intended). Which one would you experts here prefer and why?

lorez2

Re: AmScope T490b-TP vs Swift Stellar 1 Pro-T

#2 Post by lorez2 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:42 pm

The choice of a suitable microscope greatly depends upon your needs, goals, and experience. It would be easier to offer meaningful guidance if we knew these.

lorez2
Nikon 80i

SanFran77

#3 Post by SanFran77 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:08 pm

Thank you for answering! I hope these types of requests are not frowned upon here, I thought it was ok in a beginner forum.

I am looking for a high quality microscope with plan objectives for home / educational use that is / has
  • stationary - I will not move it much, if at all.
  • extendable and flexible with a large and lasting set of additional functions
  • A wide variety of lenses, three always installed. I have seen microscopes with 5 but I am not sure if there are drawbacks
  • very good lighting, preferably LED. Add: My budget could cover Koehler illumination, but is it worth it?
  • will be used to observe slides and not to manipulate the object
  • should separate out any digital aspect but should be trinocular to allow for independent camera use or attachment of an LCD screen/camera mix
I am not sure if that makes sense at all to you.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:06 am

Neither of those scopes are particularly extendable in comparison to something like a used "system" microscope such as Leitz Labophot, Leica DM, Olympus BH2 and BX models, Nikon Labophot, Optiphot, and Ecliipse, or Zeiss Standard microscopes (among many others). Some will be available for about the same money and have better build quality and far more optical options for the future.

The only drawback to having five objectives compared to three is the added expense. That cost may be less used - especially for better plan achromat, plan fluor, or even plan apo objectives. A 10x, 40x, and 100x oil immersion objective are pretty much the standard for home school quality microscopes. Having a 4x is great for scanning a slide and also bridging the gap between a stereo microscope and a compound microscope. A 20x really ought to be included with every scope - it's ideal for viewing plant cells, many protists, etc. A 20x objective often offers the right combination of enough resolution, working distance, and depth of field to thoroughly enjoy viewing the micro world. A sixth spot might be dedicated to something like an oil iris objective suitable for darkfield or a high numerical aperture dry objective.

As for Kohler and LED, I'd much rather have an older halogen lamp with a proper illumination system and high quality condenser than a cheap new scope with LED. In addition, brighter-than-cheap-LED-scope retrofits are available or somewhat easily DIY'd for most of the legendary used microscopes.

You're right to want to separate the camera from the microscope. A built-in camera may be broken or obsolete in a few years. A good microscope might be usable a lifetime from now. Depending upon what camera you want to use (or how much you want to spend) you may find a binocular head used with a cell phone camera you may already have to be better than something like a $350 USB camera from either AmScope or Swift OR a that a high end full frame DSLR or mirrorless camera is not well supported by the cheap 2x photo relay lenses these makers commonly supply. These scopes, with plan infinite objectives good to about a 20mm field number, should work pretty well shooting direct to something like a 1" (not really 1") or MFT digital sensor if that's what you have in mind.

Bottom line - as has been said here many times and many others before - a used microscope can offer a much better value, but requires more care in purchasing.

If you feel most comfortable buying new, than either of those scopes are usable and a nice step above the cheapest AmScope-Omano-Omax-Swift etc. made-in-China scopes. I'd be inclined to buy whichever one could be had at the lowest cost comparably equipped (around $400-$600 with with tax and shipping) - even better if they were lightly used. Like a new car, they'll be worth a fraction of the new price the instant you "drive" one off the "lot." Also like a new car you should be ready to go - or easily return the scope if you happen get a "lemon."

lorez2

#5 Post by lorez2 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:04 am

Thanks for sharing some of your specifics. I think you have a very clear "focus" HAHAHA on what you want.

If you are an absolute beginner either of these scopes will serve you until you outgrow them or take up woodworking, Neither are great, nor are they complete junk. I know the Swift is a better built instrument than the Amscope. I call these scope "step scopes";
they are the first step in the search for the next scope.

One can never have enough objectives, but don't let the search get in the way of the use. Learn to use what you have. The "usual standard" on scopes like the ones you have specified are the 4, 10, 40, and 100. The 20 is a nice intermediate. Some of us get lost in the search of a better objective (I'll deny it).

PeteM makes many good points so I'll not repeat, but rather second what he as mentioned and wish you well in getting started. Pete and I have lots of used scopes.

lorez2
Nikon 80i

SanFran77

#6 Post by SanFran77 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:29 am

Lorez2 and PeteM, I want to thank both of you for your incredible insights. Lorez2, I am not sure what made me laugh harder, the joking around focus or the woodworking, I am leaning to the one woodworking, as it carries a hint at a truth that you must have acquired over many years!

I should have added that I am aware of the recommendation to buy a used microscope and that I am also aware of the brands, especially Zeiss. It probably does not surprise you to hear that I am simply not in any position to judge a used Microscope, especially when attempting to buy it online. Is there any way to bridging this gap in experience?

Thank you both again.

Edit: The section on 4x, 10x 20x, ... oil immersion objectives was very insightful.

lorez2

#7 Post by lorez2 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:54 am

The best way to bridge the gap in experience is to amass many mini-experiences. The only way the do this is to get the scope and get started. I would be happy to assist you in the acquisition of a quality used microscope without the perils of eBay and with a close eye on your budget. My recommendations would include an Olympus CH2 or a BH2.
I just remembered the AO 10. Also a good candidate for a quality starter scope.

lorez2

P.S. Microscopes 9 to 5, Woodworking 5 to 9
Nikon 80i

SanFran77

#8 Post by SanFran77 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:21 am

Oh wow, thank you for the offer! The Olympus BH2 with a trinocular head (BH2-TR30) is a dream scope, but the price seems high for the trinoculars. How would the selection of such a beauty work out?

Congrats to the 5-9, admirable.