Handheld USB or Stereo microscope recommendation

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
SanFran77

Handheld USB or Stereo microscope recommendation

#1 Post by SanFran77 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:09 pm

The kids got handheld “microscopes” from Carson (the MicroBrite Plus*) for Christmas that are meant to accompany them on our long hikes and camping trips.

Now, the idea is to bring interesting findings such as leaves, insects etc. home and have a stationary Microscope there that has at least the same magnification or a bit stronger and allows to instantly display these objects found outside and analyze them at home. This second step should contain the ability to display on LCD and take high quality photos or videos for school.

I’m not sure what microscope to get for this second step, and would hope for recommendations. The microscope should be a high quality amateur / educational piece, not a kids microscope, as this stage will be supervised by the parents and should be a real introductory to microscopy.

Can someone recommend? Thank you so much!

* Carson MicroBrite Plus 60x-120x LED Lighted Pocket Microscope https://a.co/d/dYRTmLk

PeteM

Re: Handheld USB or Stereo microscope recommendation

#2 Post by PeteM » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:27 pm

I'd suggest a true stereo microscope rather than USB. The latter doesn't preserve a sense of 3D depth. The former preserves stereoscope vision.

For photos, consider using a $20 holder to attach an old cell phone camera to a spare eyepiece. Best if you use a $10 remote release at higher magnifications. Use the cell phone on WiFi to store pictures. Very fast to take photos or movies and far superior images to most USB microscopes.

That leaves the question of which stereo microscope to get. For a new scope, the cheapest usable ones I've seen are Chinese scopes with 1x and 3x magnifications (with 10x eyepieces = 10x and 30x). You switch magnificaitons by rotating a nosepiece turret. 20x and 40x versions are also made - but you really want 7x to 10x for an extremely wide variety of specimens and tasks. Once the kids are patient and skilled enough to prepare slides (gather pond critters, prepare polarized crystals, etc.) you can consider a compound microscope starting at 40x.

Optional 15x eyepieces can be had to push the magnification to 15x and 45x. The 20x ones push the scopes into empty magnification and not worth getting in my opinion.

These used to cost around $150 from re-badged brands like AmScope, Omax, Swift, Eagle, etc. The LED illumination ones are preferred for young kids - not so much for the light quality but because the halogen lamps get hot to the touch. These days, these scopes are more like $180=$200 with tax and shipping. A small fraction will be bad out of the box (misaligned), so I suggest buying from Amazon since returns are easier if you happen to get a lemon.

$200-300 might get you a superior used zoom or multiple magnification stereo microscope from American Optical (Cycloptic or 5xx zoom series, Bausch & Lomb (various StereoZoom), Leica (which includes B&L and Wild-like models from the past), Meiji (robust but pricey), Nikon, Olympus, etc. These will have wider fields of view, more working distance, better optics, parfocal zooms, more robust construction, etc. However, you should buy one you can personally inspect or from a trusted supplier since many will have lived a hard life in industry. Many sold at places like Ebay may be misaligned, damaged, dusty inside, coated with soldering fumes, missing stands and eyepieces (surprisingly costly to get them later) etc.

I don't recommend the Chinese zooms under about $500. They're cheaply built, with plastic zoom gears and racks often failing after a couple years, and parts are rarely available.

Don't know if "SanFran" means you live in the Bay Area. However, if you do and get to the Santa Cruz area, we do "Micronaut" sessions at the local Children's Museum of Discovery, the County library's Lagoon Scientist summer program, the local Maker's Faire, etc. Good way for kids to get introduced to what they can discover and learn.

imkap

#3 Post by imkap » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:53 pm

I have Olympus SZ40 and I'm quite impressed with it.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:17 pm

Agree with all points and suggestions by PeteM.

My own stereo is an Olympus VMZ, 10X-40X zoom, which cost me around 170 USD, used of course (it is a very old model). But I bought it from a neighbor who ascertained the quality.
I then added some DIY LED top and bottom illumination, and for my own specific jobs, a new 2X Barlow lens and new Chinese widefield high eyepoint 10X eyepieces, all for maybe another 150 USD. The microscope works beautifully although not perfectly.

That was several years ago. Recently I wanted a stereo for young kids. Could not find a quality used one at that price. So I bought the new cheap Chinese LED (mains AC) stereo 20X/40X (Did not find a 10X/30X) on eBay:
20220427_195647.jpg
20220427_195647.jpg (42.67 KiB) Viewed 959 times
It cost roughly 200 USD including postage and works surprisingly well ! it is not a toy, the weight is right, the optics are fine (for the price).
Does not accept Barlows. However, two different mags are OK to get the child to love microscopy - it is really an introductory instrument.
I did not try taking photos.
The power and selection switch (top/bottom illumination), shown on the left rear corner of the base, is not high quality, but I estimate that if it fails, can be replaced in an electrician's shop. Just an on-off and multi-position switch.
Tried 20X eyepieces on it - usable but far from great. The 10X WF are OK.
It is important to buy spare LEDs together with the scope, because sometimes they are of a peculiar form.

Edit: the scope shown in the photo above arrived without any instruction manual. But it is really a simple scope and all questions can be answered on the forum.