Nikon Alphaphot Phase Contrast Annulus Slider

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
J_WISC

Nikon Alphaphot Phase Contrast Annulus Slider

#1 Post by J_WISC » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:06 am

Hello.

Can someone help me correctly install/use a Nikon Alphaphot Phase Contrast Annulus slider? Something appears wrong. I just acquired the microscope and do not want to break the slider.

IMG-3245.jpg
IMG-3245.jpg (99.07 KiB) Viewed 912 times

The slider does not go in far enough to sit under the condenser, nor out far enough to clear the condenser for normal operation:

IMG-3244.jpg
IMG-3244.jpg (127.12 KiB) Viewed 912 times
IMG-3242.jpg
IMG-3242.jpg (127.52 KiB) Viewed 912 times

There is a tiny screw (upper left) limiting movement; the screw also blocks removal of slider:

IMG-3247.jpg
IMG-3247.jpg (97.24 KiB) Viewed 912 times
IMG-3249.jpg
IMG-3249.jpg (90.56 KiB) Viewed 912 times

Right now, I'm just getting an interesting example of the use of oblique illumination, not bright field or phase contrast. Thank you for help, suggestions, or sources of information. I tried hours of Googling and learned there's a manual for the slider, but I cannot find the manual or a guide.

lorez2

Re: Nikon Alphaphot Phase Contrast Annulus Slider

#2 Post by lorez2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:31 am

You might try screwing the small screw farther down into the slider. It's possible that it is a stop pin that works properly on the other side.

lorez
Nikon 80i

J_WISC

Re: Nikon Alphaphot Phase Contrast Annulus Slider

#3 Post by J_WISC » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:42 am

lorez2 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:31 am
You might try screwing the small screw farther down into the slider. It's possible that it is a stop pin that works properly on the other side.

Doh!!! Thank you. I tighten the screw. When tightened, the head is just high enough to prevent removal of the slider. It doesn’t lock it into place; it just prevents removal. When higher, or loose, it further restricted movement.

I was tempted to delete the question — sort of embarrassed — but I’ll leave it to encourage others to ask questions. Also, similar screws prevented removal of the eye pieces or proper focusing of the left eye piece! I did acquire it from a university surplus auction. I’m thinking the screws were there to ensure parts weren’t accidentally lost.

Thanks for all help. Especially ridiculous questions.