Moving equipment from USA to UK and making it work!

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Solomon

Moving equipment from USA to UK and making it work!

#1 Post by Solomon » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:08 am

Dear forum users

Having relocated to the UK I brought with me a Zeiss Universal polarized light microscope. My system requires the use of a Carl Zeiss 910103 Microscope Light Source Power Supply (attached pictures). My question is simple and naive: under UK local specs for electrical power, what is the best way to make it work without equipment damage? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Solomon

PeteM

Re: Moving equipment from USA to UK and making it work!

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:36 am

Solomon, your power supply was made by "LEP" (Ludl Electronic Products Ltd.) for Zeiss. They might have some advice.

It's easy to find transformers for relatively low wattage devices to step down UK's higher voltage to the 110-120 volt range. Safest would be one that isolates. I'd assume there is a transformer just after the fuse in your unit. If you feed it 50 cycle power rather than 60 cycle power at full voltage it might run a bit less efficiently or overheat, with the transformer core near saturation. It also might have been engineered to tolerate this, perhaps with a slightly lower input voltage. With luck there might even be a transformer tap and switch inside to allow international use??

So, you have some options. 1) One is to run it as is and (pending advice from LEP) with a step down transformer. Even without that advice, it might be worth trying at more like 110 volts than 120 volts and see if it heats up. It looks like the unit has some "headroom" should you input a slightly lower (than 120vac) voltage. 2) Replace the cord and transformer inside to a 50hz one of the proper voltage and ampacity. 3) Just buy another supply with a 0-12 volt and 200 watt range. These are now smaller and comparatively cheap. 4) Buy a bare chassis supply and stuff it in the Zeiss box for an OEM look. 5) Do a LED conversion.

I'm assuming in all this that you need power just for the lamp and not to power sensitive circuitry?

Solomon

#3 Post by Solomon » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:07 am

Thanks you kindly PeteM! Very helpful indeed.

With kind wishes

Solomon

hypancistrus

#4 Post by hypancistrus » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:10 pm

Get a lab DC power supply or a variable DC power supply.

I’d be really surprised if you even need 200W at output but if you do, buy appropriately.

I have a DC lab supply… they’re handy for projects or temporary power for random gadgets you pickup at thrift stores or garage sales.

On Amazon…
DROK 24V Power Supply, AC 110V/220V to DC 0-24V 20A 480W Buck Converter, Variable Adjustable Adapter Regulated 5V 12V 24V Volt Switching Voltage LED Transformer 20A Amp Charger for Computer

That might work for you. Adjustable from 0-24V and has a display.

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:18 pm

You have about an hour to decide on this one!
Not sure what the reserve is but will probably suit your needs.

285134378100 on ebay uk
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)