Working space

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Smurf

Working space

#1 Post by Smurf » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:20 pm

Hi, I'm working on my microscope in my bedroom where I sleep..On small table with some tablecloth on it.

If I observe some classic stuff, I put slide on tablecloth to waiting for cleaning. But in serious stuff, If work with many bacteria, that slide goes immediately on wash.

So, is it dangerous leave slides on table, can bacteria escape from slide? I know that they not survive a long without wather, but just asking.
Microscop:
Maxlapater (Amazon 120€)
Ocular: 5x, 25x, Barlow x2
Objective: 4x, 10x, 40x
6x Diaphragm colors.
Mechanical stage
Two lights.

Hobbyst46

Re: Working space

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:45 pm

Bacteria do not fly away from the slide, but touching the slide can transfer traces of unwanted stuff (not necessarily harmful, just objectionable) on the fingers. Especially if the slide has an unknown history or has been a quick-and-dirty preparation of some sort.
Hence, as a basic all-around safety measure, I would properly wash my hands immediately after using the microscope and before going on with other daily activities.
In addition, between microscopy sessions, I would place the slide (or slides) in a small flat covered plastic container. The cheap dispensable translucent type will do.

Smurf

#3 Post by Smurf » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:27 pm

Thanks for advices.

I saw problem of put slide in container because slides goes with cover glasses, when sometimes cover are stacked to the slide, and sometimes are detached and drop on bottom, and when you want to pull it out you can't find cover glass where is, and can be easy to brake.
Microscop:
Maxlapater (Amazon 120€)
Ocular: 5x, 25x, Barlow x2
Objective: 4x, 10x, 40x
6x Diaphragm colors.
Mechanical stage
Two lights.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:17 pm

Smurf wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:27 pm
Thanks for advices.

I saw problem of put slide in container because slides goes with cover glasses, when sometimes cover are stacked to the slide, and sometimes are detached and drop on bottom, and when you want to pull it out you can't find cover glass where is, and can be easy to brake.
It is often very easy to secure the coverslip to the slide: apply just two tiny drops of ordinary nail polish to two opposing corners of the coveslip - or across the diameter itf the coverslip is circular, such that the nail polish will form a bridge between the slip and the slide. Some of the polish might crawl inside, by capillary forces, but if the initial drop was tiny, no siginificant damage is expected. Let it dry completely (takes several hours) to avoid contact between objective front lenses and the polish.