Du Jardin colouring (Where buy chemicals)

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
cmug

Du Jardin colouring (Where buy chemicals)

#1 Post by cmug » Tue May 02, 2023 11:40 am

I would like to use a Du Jardin colouring. The recipe is described in the book "Microscopie als hobby" [Dutch] .
Problem is that the dyes & chemicals are not all readily available.

Making Astra blue solution is quite possible for me. I can order that chemicals.

But the second part [acridine-chrysoidin] of the staining I don't see where I can order the chemicals [in The Netherlands]. Chrysoidin is available for sale. Acridine red [C.I. 45000] I can't find. Possibly acridine red is too toxic by today's standards ?

Is there other good working workflow with same results ?

Alexander

Re: Du Jardin colouring (Where buy chemicals)

#2 Post by Alexander » Tue May 02, 2023 8:38 pm

Acridine red is simply out of production in Europe and the US. You ma find some of it in China or India at quite horrible cost.

Example: https://in.carbanio.com/chemical/acridi ... ch-ug0x1n4
580 Euros plus shipping, customs and VAT for 10 grams.

Try rhodamine B as a substitute.

cmug

Re: Du Jardin colouring (Where buy chemicals)

#3 Post by cmug » Wed May 03, 2023 7:56 am

Thanks for the tip ! This explains Acridine red is nowhere to be found. And that I have to go other route.
In a search for rhodamine B I found a wonderful good German website. A very nice thorough comparative study of different colorings. And provides alternatives to no longer available Acridine red.

The Müller SAC staining I found there seems to me a good alternative. The chemicals are available. And not unnecessarily toxic or very expensive (useful if I want to use the same recipe in my teaching lessons)