TIPS FOR NEW SCOPE

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Ange20

TIPS FOR NEW SCOPE

#1 Post by Ange20 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:42 am

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and wanted to ask for some advice regarding the purchase of my first microscope! I have a lot of passion for microscopy, also because I attend a university where a lot of microscopy is done and it has always fascinated me.
As my first microscope I wanted to buy a microscope that is not too complex let's say, even though I know how to use a microscope and still do in laboratories. After days on the internet reading reviews, watching videos and comparing people's experiences in blogs, especially this one, my attention fell on a SWIFT STELLAR 1 PRO-T. I'm well aware that this microscope is one of those Chinese ones, but reading around and for the use I wanted to put it to I think it may be more than fine. I prefer it trinocular because having a Nikon I could take some photos at a good quality, rather than using a phone adapter to put on the eyepieces.
But I still have my doubts as to whether it is a good microscope or not for that amount of money, 600 € here in Italy... I have also seen other microscopes such as : SWIFT 380T, BRESSER RESEARCHER TRINO, OMAX but I don't know which one to choose among them all.
I also found a used microscope online, the NIKON ECLIPSE E200 with halogen light and E-PLAN 4X, 10X and 40X objectives without the 100 X immersion. The only problem I have with this ad is the correctness of the seller, as the microscope seems to be in excellent condition, and the halogen light, as I preferred a microscope with LED light. Also, this Nikon is a binocular and not trinocular as I wanted....
I hope you can give me a hand as you certainly know a lot more about these microscopes than I do, and I hope you can help me on the purchase of my new microscope!!!
:D :D

PeteM

Re: TIPS FOR NEW SCOPE

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:26 pm

Ange, some things you might consider:

1) A good scope isn't necessarily more complicated and difficult to use. After a brief learning curve, you'll likely find it easier to adjust and use. Most everything from the stage and focus up is the same between pro-level and entry-level microscopes. Same sort of adjustments to match your vision in the head, the same rotating turret to choose objectives, and (hopefully) a mechanical stage to move the slide. At either level, you should have coarse and fine focus. The differences are higher quality, reliability, and often ease of use in the better scopes - not complexity.

The only added complexity is likely to be in condenser adjustments. Better scopes will have a field iris (often absent in cheaper scopes) and a more easily centered condenser and aperture iris. The few minutes it takes to learn how to adjust these will pay off in much better contrast for years to come.

2) LED isn't necessarily superior to halogen illumination, particularly in budget-priced scopes. Something like a 1-3 watt LED won't have as good color rendition or greater brightness than a 20-watt tungsten-halogen bulb. Some aren't particularly well collimated, either. LED illumination can be excellent, it can be cheaper to build into a microscope, and you won't face replacing bulbs now and then. In my opinion, though, it's not among the top things to want in a new microscope. What is reassuring is that LED retrofits are often easily and affordably available for older pro-level scopes, should the existing systems ever fail.

3) Used Nikon Eclipse microscopes can be excellent, but the E200 is near the bottom of the line. If you can find something like an E400 with plan achromat objectives for not much more money, it will be a significantly better scope. In my mind, it's a toss-up between a new Chinese scope like the ones you're considering and a used E200 for about the same money. Both will have around a 20mm field of view, a similarly restricted head, likely no field iris, so-so mechanical build quality, and illumination directly under the stage that is somewhat scattered rather than well-collimated. All are quite usable - just not quite as good as the next level up and priced about the same, used.

4) Two things I'd put ahead of having LED in a wishlist would be having an iris in the field diaphragm and splurging for a 20x plan achromat. In a new scope - and those mentioned can all be configured similarly - they'll likely include LED because it actually costs less to include than a properly-engineered halogen system.

5) Depending on your needs for photos and videos, you may find that a cell phone camera, holder, and third eyepiece work as well as a trinocular head and dedicated microscope camera. If you're already a serious photographer with something like a mirrorless camera or high-end DSLR - then the trinocular head makes sense.

Phill Brown

#3 Post by Phill Brown » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:12 am

All excellent advice.
A pre owned as new microscope should be possible to find at around 25% of its new cost if you wait for the right one.
Although phase isn't everything its phase condenser can be a great option.
Don't put valuable slides under your microscope until you have discovered how to break a coverslip.

Ange20

#4 Post by Ange20 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:37 am

Thanks everyone.
PeteM thanks for the tips. So the essentials for a scope, in my case, is to find a microscope with an Iris in the field diaphragm and a 20X plan objective. I will find and also I will search if the Nikon E400 is available used at a good price. A used Nikon E400 Is its worth the price?
i Have seen also a OLYMPUS CH2 used for around the same price or less, but I saw that there's a section on this blog about fitting a very powerful LED, and replacing its halogen lamp!
I will continue to inform myself and hopefully find the solution!
Any recommendations for some used microscopes around 500/600€ or even less? Any particular model that would be great for an amateur?
Unfortunately I'm still not an experienced microscope photographer... yet. I just wanted to try to get a trinocular to take advantage of my Nikon D3200 to take some photos using an adapter, instead of buying a special camera for my microscope and spending more money...
Thank you all!
:D

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:04 pm

One advantage to an e200 or e400 is the availability of cheap nikon 20x plan apo objectives on the market thanks to use in some decommissioned equipment. They're awesome objectives available for a lot less than they should cost.

Ange20

#6 Post by Ange20 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:26 am

thank you very much!!! :D
I'm looking a lot at second hand and I've found many microscopes but I'm afraid to buy out of inexperience...
there are several Nikon E200, Nikon Optiphot, Olympus CH20 and CH30, Microstar IV from Reichert and Leica (I don't understand the difference, same model different brand), some Leica ATC2000...
In short, let's say there are enough of them, but I don't know which one to choose!!!! :?:
And how many of these can be turned in to a LED illumination??
the Nikon e400 are unfortunately very expensive and far exceed my budget (500-600€).
Any quick reviews on these microscopes to give me a general overview, tips etc? Many of these come with infinity lenses and Plan but I don't know about the condition actually.
I'm hoping to find a good used deal, if not I've seen a "Chinese" Swift sellar 1-pro which doesn't look too bad... :)
Thanks everyone in advance :D