4x objective on bh2 scope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
ataraktos

4x objective on bh2 scope

#1 Post by ataraktos » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:10 pm

Hello,

I need some help with an Olympus BH2 microscope ... I recently purchased a "new" 4x objective only to find my stage won't rise high enough to use it!

I suspect it might be the stage lock mechanism. When I first unlocked the mechanism, it made a nice, sharp click. But the stage would still rise no further in the unlock position. When I try to employ the lock at a lower level, I'm not sure it's engaging properly - it locks the upward motion but there seems to be some play in it - a good quarter to half inch of motion "beyond" where it should lock. (At least, where I assume it should lock - I'm not very familiar with it.)

My primary concern though is reaching my 4x objective and I'm not overly concerned with the locking mechanism, just trying to give some information.

What can I do, to reach the 4x objective?

Scarodactyl

Re: 4x objective on bh2 scope

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:59 am

It's probably a shorter parfocal objective. I have a chinese 4x that looks like a BH2 objective but has a shorter parfocal distance than 45mm.

ataraktos

Re: 4x objective on bh2 scope

#3 Post by ataraktos » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:03 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:59 am
It's probably a shorter parfocal objective. I have a chinese 4x that looks like a BH2 objective but has a shorter parfocal distance than 45mm.
you're right!!! i just went to check again and the stage was so far down - i just looked in at a permanent slide and it was almost perfectly in focus. thank you!